Pro Wrestling Only

My 665 favorite matches

Loss

It is funny you should mention watching matches because I was telling Loss the other night that the only time I really get a chance to watch wrestling is when I am making my comps. That is one of the reasons I rely on suggestions and research in putting them together. However, sometimes, I have to do chores and watch the kids while making them so if I know a match is going to end in 30 minutes then I may come back 28 minutes later to stop the recording. Still, I have seen more wrestling while compiling the comps than if I never made them at all.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could probably do one or two lines on every match right now. I'll start on that and make a post for each year.

Loss I'm really glad your doing this. Reading and/or responding about matches are my favorite part of wrestling boards. Actually finding match discussion from 69-94 is really hard to find. So I wanted to say thanks.

I don't think conversation of 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s wrestling is too hard to find. There are people who want to talk about it and/or watch it, and are interesting in knowing about more good stuff that's out there. Some of them are willing to talking about it in a lot of detail rather than "Bob Orton Jr. Rulz!" :)

It's a matter of whether they have what you are watching and talking about. There's the side issue of whether they want to talk about it. I feel myself over-talked-out on 90s AJPW, either feeling like I'm saying the same thing over and over again during the past decade or just burnt out on the coversation. And of course the side issue of whether you actually want to talk to them about the topic. :) There was a time when I enjoyed having discussions like the old ones with the Cru. Now it just doesn't feel like anything other than a waste of time bogging down in that type of argument. I have little doubt that many people think the same of talking wrestling with me: "jdw's okay to talk to when he agrees with you, but when he doesn't he's a real asshole to try to have a conversation with." Which is a valid criticism.

All of wrestling discussion is like that. The difference between WWF discussion and "old school" discussion is that in the WWF you regularly have some fresh meat that wants to talk about it (if it's your thing), and in contrast if the old school match discussion dies up it will be sometime before some freshness pops up.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I admitedly suck at reviews (after re-reading them I always end up thinking they are empty, but I don't want to do play by plays) but after watching almost nothing for a month, I am catching up, and I intend in taking a few short notes for the most remarkable matches I watch.

January for Spaniards is a month where you stay at home - you spent all your money and energy in Christmas! Plus it's cold outside. Which means I will be posting more reviews eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest robgomm

Jake Roberts v Brad Armstrong - Mid South 04/16/85; New Orleans, LA

Jake is really something else, and I've only grown to appreciate him in the past month or so since seeing more of his work. There are few guys I've ever seen who are better at timing, facial expressions, body language and conveying a story. He really knows how to structure a match and get under the skin of the crowd and does it exceptionally well here just by being himself and turning up the volume a little. He finds all sorts of cruel ways to torture the virtuous Armstrong, who as usual, owns your fucking face. Jake keeps yelling at the ref, pulling Brad's hair and twisting his body into a pretzel while laughing about it and Armstrong keeps attempting to fight back without compromising his character. When he finally snaps, it's glorious, but it's also what Jake wanted, as he quickly gets an opening and makes the most of it. It's as basic a story as you'll find in wrestling, but it's also as effective as just about anything. The heat starting out here isn't really all that great, but they build big and have the crowd chanting for Brad just a few minutes in. I think part of that is Armstrong's great selling, as he's not afraid to put over Jake's psychological game. I love how the fans rush to check on Brad and make sure he's okay when he goes outside, and Jake manages to do something in the ring to keep the story moving along while Brad is still down selling damage -- he threatens to climb the top rope and doesn't come down, almost gets DQd for trying and then does the Ric Flair beg off from the ref when he gets warned. This is 15 minutes into the match, and by this time, they're only really starting with the meat and potatoes of the match, as Jake has attempted his first cover and has Armstrong in a camel clutch. The only black mark I can make here is that Jake is still getting a certain amount of cheers, as the males in the crowd are chanting big for him to do the DDT. It's amazing how over Jake got that move, and how others who use the move either use it as a transition or have gotten nowhere the heat Jake has gotten for doing it. Armstrong's comeback to set things up for the final stretch is really cool too, as he nearly takes Jake's head off with an awesome lariat out of the corner and struggles just to stand up straight. This is Jake at his best with Armstrong doing a really good job wrestling his match. This would make a terrific companion to Jake/DiBiase 4/24/89 on the WWF DVDs, to see Jake work a very similar match where he takes almost no bumps but still manages to sell and structure things well, only this time as a heel. 20+ minutes of awesomeness.

Am I nuts/have totally lost my memory or did this not make the Mid-South set? I don't remember it or see it on the set list.

It can be found on my Jake the Snake set though

/shill off

Anyway, the match was nominated but found itself on the chopping block due to a strong Brad Armstrong backlash (ie. Phil hates him).

I think he (Brad) may do better on the NWA set though with his stints in GA and even a few Crockett matches. Jake's series with Ron Garvin should also do fairly well esp. since we are splitting the NWA up from the first half and the 2nd half.

Guest robgomm

I quite liked Armstrong, although obviously didn't see that much of him. Sure looked out of place with the North American belt, though. These two are intriguing:

#16 - Jake Roberts & The Barbarian v Ted DiBiase & Steve Williams (Mid South, 08/09 - New Orleans, LA - Cage Match) ****

#21 - Midnight Express v Fantastics v Chavo & Hector Guerrero v Rock & Roll Express (Mid South, 01/27) ****

The latter could be a cluster, I guess, but the first one I can only imagine being good.