Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-12-11-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Nick Bockwinkel vs Billy Robinson

Loss

• 2 years later...

The first disc of the AJ set has been a bit of a slog for me. The late 80s-early 90s grumpy Jumbo is my favorite of all time, but the bland boring Jumbo on display was just not connecting. This was the first match that (IMO, obviously) felt like it had some personality in the work, like I could determine these guys' characters from watching them wrestle. I wish I had more time/energy/attention span for the GWE - Bock and Robinson would definitely be two guys I'd like to do a deep dive on.

• 7 months later...

I personally think Bock is the best. Back when we did GWE, I think he landed at 4 or 5 for me. But, I had him at 1 a few times before submitting. I'm pretty sure I'll have him at 1 if I ever make a list like that again. I love the intensity in Billy's headlocks on Bock. They really look painful. The way they transition in and out of that with Bock's hope spots flows so organically. After some really compelling matwork, Bock smacks Billy in the face and drops him to the outside. The pacing picks up after that. We get a fight. Everything Bock does makes so much sense in the context of the match. I love the little things. A punch to the head of Billy, and Bock immediately shakes off the pain in his hand. The match ends in a draw, but I loved it. More time could have given them the opportunity to make this even better.

• 4 months later...

Mr. Webb, aren't you the guy who put Big Poppa Pump at number one? Not casting judgment, Scotty Steiner made my list and I am a big fan (Go Blue! I went to Michigan for school). I just want to make sure I am not confusing you with someone else. I think Bock made 12/13 on my list. I would find some way to get him in my top ten next time. I think Kawada (#10) should have been a little lower.

Nick Bockwinkel vs Billy Robinson - AJPW 12/11/80

Verne Gagne is AWA World Champion at this time so no titles on the line that I know of. There is a clip. The beginning is some of the best 70s/80s American style matwork (I usually call this NWA Champion-style, but with both working for AWA that seemed wrong) you will ever see. To me American style matwork is your headlocks, wristlocks, armbars, short arm scissors, hammerlocks, chickenwings, toeholds, figure-4s, and crabs and these two just work it beautifully. We clip to Bock with a standing reverse top wristlock. He just has this evil, sadistic grin on his face that no one else can replicate. He is taking immense joy in wrenching Robinson's arm. The struggle is real for Robinson to buck Bock. First gets a headscissors (this is when the ankles are crossed), but when he tries to put Bock in motion, Bock converts an armdrag into a kneeling reverse top wristlock with him kneeling on Robinson's face, so now he is in a worse predicament. Robinson is able to get his leg over Bock's head and gets a double underhook, but Bock does a beautiful job blocking by grapevining the leg. Lock-up and Robinson grabs a tight and I mean DOUBLE TIGHT headlock. They work in out of that headlock, but Bock has lost control. Until one criss cross where he gets a marvelous drop toehold and rolls up right into a figure-4 of the left calf (this when one leg is straight and other is tucked behind the knee of the straight leg making a "4" with your leg). The commitment of the drop toehold was great because Robinson did not just go with it Bock got it tight and you really felt Robinson trip because of it. The match winds up once they get standing. Bock slaps Robinson hard. Robinson is incensed and goes to clobber Bockwinkel, but Bock ducks sending poor Billy crashing over the top rope out onto the floor.

Bock gives chase, which was unexpected, I thought we would get King of Mountain. Robinson ends up bodyslamming him on the floor. Should have sticked to the script, Nick. Robinson comes charging in again for a punch and Bock back drops him out. Robinson really wants to wipe that smirk off Bock's face. Bock waits for Robinson to come to him this time and bodyslams him into the ring. Bock's heat segment is pretty damn good. Piledrivers, whip into the buckles and just generally kicking ass. Bock throws some serious bows and this wakes Billy up who starts blocking and then roaring back. Neckbreaker, back suplex ROBINSON BACKBREAKER!!! Only getting two. Hits a second Robinson Backbreaker, but hurts his plant leg. Bock POUNCES on this! Robinson shakes him off. Bock scrambles from outside back into the ring. Applies Figure-4 tons of drama. Robinson makes the ropes. The time calls get closer together. Fire fight to end it and they call it off as a draw.

Pretty incredible match from the tight matwork to the hot finish run. Besides Lawler, I don't think there are two people that can get more out of so little in regards to highspots. You really see Bock in full display here. The opening matwork, then trying to incense his opponent and then pouncing on a weakness. Just great selling and pacing. Robinson is so great at offense, but I thought he sold really well for Bock with those two big bumps to the floor and then his knee. ****1/2

God!!! That wasn't me! I've had to say that quite a few times. Maybe I need Loss to change my name. I had Flair at one. Meh, it's really no big deal... but, I think that guy had similar initials or last name... :). The Big Bad Booty Daddy unfortunately didn't make the cut for me :)

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
This match felt like a swan song to the science of 1970’s mat-based wrestling, executed by two of the style’s greatest professors. My only grumble is the time limit draw, as it seemed like these two could go at it for another half hour. Bock sticks like glue to Robinson’s arm early on, and even after Billy is able to counter with an cobra twist and start in on the neck, Bock holds on with the hip toss attempt and re-gains control of the arm. As proficient as Robinson is here, Bock’s performance really elevates this match to the next level. I loved the extended headlock sequence, with Bock using various means to escape only to get caught again with the headlock. He brings a surliness to the match, the way he kinks around Billy’s ankle when he’s got him in a hold, or the heat behind the slap to Billy’s face. The bombs get bigger as Robinson tries putting Bock away but when he delivers the second backbreaker, he injures his knee and Nick smells the blood, attacking with the spinning toehold and figure-four leglock. When Billy tries to fight out with a bodyslam, his knee gives out and Bock nearly pins him with the cover. As the time limit expires, the two are still slugging it out, anxious to end it. Great great stuff.

• GSR changed the title to [1980-12-11-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Nick Bockwinkel vs Billy Robinson
  • 4 years later...

1980-12-11
AJPW
Billy Robinson vs Nick Bockwinkel
Kuramae Kokugikan, Tokyo, Japan
★★★★ ¼ 
Card

It’s been said before but this feels like one of the last hurrahs of the 1970s matwork style. They displayed glimpses of what they were capable of in the tag league matchup between their respective teams, but here the focus was solely on them and they surely delivered. Robinson and Bock were such a fantastic pairing and they worked seamlessly together to hit the mark on those matwork sports, blending counters and new moves into each other with absolute ease. Then, just at the halfway mark they brought things up a notch and we had distinct periods where each man was in control, able to press for the victory, only for the momentum to swing organically to their opponent.
I’d seen this match before and this time I’ll admit I’m a smidge down on it in comparison. To nitpick, after a strong several minute spell where they’d really begun to show the exhausted selling, they decided to do a spot where Bockwinkel bridged out of a pin attempt and then transitioned into a test of strength. It just felt out of place for that to be plonked right in there and would have felt more natural much earlier in the bout. Seeing as they were both selling how tired they were it didn’t make sense to me that they would have logically gone that route, and if they did I’m doubtful it should have been successfully pulled off. Secondly, down the stretch I don’t think they were able to really get the crowd to buy into any of the pinfall attempts. They were probably pretty certain it was heading to a draw at that point, but there were a few bombs that perhaps could have caused them to bite a bit harder and they didn’t, so that level of drama and furor the best matches have is lacking here. It’s certainly one of the best matches of the year, but it may fall short of being the best match of the year.