Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-03-30-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Dory Funk Jr

Loss

• 1 year later...

Jerry "The King" Lawler vs Dory Funk Jr. - Memphis 3/30/81

The fact that this finished #47 in the Memphis 150 is ludicrous to me. This match is badass and every bit as good as the Terry Funk No DQ brawl from the week before. I liked the sense of escalation of this match a lot. Dory Funk wrestled his match, but did so heelishly and with the purpose of turning it into a brawl. This was a perfect example of how you can use holds to control your opponent to set up big blows. Junior used the headlock and armbar to force Lawler into position where he could unload with his biggest weapon, European Uppercut. When Lawler was really staggered, he drove him head first repeatedly into the table. Dory was not above using hair or powdering to save his ass. As Lawler was raring to go, Dory bailed and Lawler looked to give chase with a wooden board. Back in, Lawler fought back out of the corner and started to kick some Dory ass by throwing him into the table. Junior used a pair of well-timed knees to the Royal Family Jewels to back Lawler off in the corner. You can hold the King down and with the strap down, he made sure to kick Funk in his BBQ Coals and what a great sell job by Dory. Junior throws Lawler into Jerry Calhoun. I forgot to mention Jimmy Hart is suspended above the ring in most uncomfortable fashion of a harness. Hart throws a chain down to Junior who blasts Lawler. Due to Calhoun being down, Lawler is able to kick out. Junior chokes Lawler out with the chain until Calhoun discovers the chain. The King has his own chain and pastes him with the chain! Repeatedly now. The ref tries to assert his control, but is thrown down repeatedly and Junior was the last one to throw him down and called the match in favor of King. Jimmy Hart comes down and tries to ram Lawler with the helmet, but goes flying into the turnbuckles to a big pop. Awesome crowd heat throughout for this.

I thought this was a more complete wrestling match than the Terry match with a real feel of progression, but the Terry match had the better finish. Dory crushed it in the heel department. He used every heel trick effectively and really kicked ass in this match. I loved the hook of Lawler paying Dory Funk back at every turn (table shots, ballshot, chain). Better finish and this would be up for best match of the 1980s. Awesome, awesome match. ****1/2

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1981-03-30-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Dory Funk Jr
  • 2 years later...

A cool Dory Funk Jr match outside of his known element. I think Dory Funk Jr, I think St Louis or Tokyo. Not Memphis but it's neat to see a legend out of his comfortable setting. He rocks at it as well. Dory Funk is straight laced at first, using his superior technical skills to control Lawler and run rings around him but Dory gets more and more underhanded with the tables on the outside and even a chain that Jimmy Hart, who is suspended above the ring because it’s Memphis, threw down. Lawler wrestles Dory’s match but even though he’s not as good on the mat, he sells super well and makes the best out of his offence. I really loved how most of Lawler’s offence was him getting Dory back for the cheating also using the chain. Lawler’s fists are hammers most of the time but add a chain to them and it’s deadly. The crowd, of course, are all in on the match. The match is called off for the DQ (in Lawler’s favour) and Lawler beats Jimmy Hart up after the match. Awesome ending. ****