Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-01-12-PWG-DDT4] Kevin Steen & El Generico vs Young Bucks

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

I love El Generico and thought he was a great FIP in this, but there were way too many false finishes at the end, which just killed the match for me. I could have forgiven some of that if the Young Bucks had any clue how to be decent heels. Generico gets the hero's sendoff.

Was this JIP as we are immediately hitting each other with chairs. I am curious to watch Generico here. The multiple superkicks by the Bucks was a segment I did not care much for. At least they are able to knock the referee down with them. Then a second referee hits a superkick on one of the Bucks after getting pulled out of the ring. Non stop superkicks. That finish sucked. Guy gets dropped on his head like that but is able to get an inside cradle for the win immediately?

• 4 weeks later...

I've only seen the 'Bucks a couple of times, so I don't know if this is typical for them or not, but I agree with Loss, they were pretty shitty heels here. The superkick party was just annoying after a while, although the one from the ref was amusing. The finish could have worked if it was done a little differently, but shrugging off the piledriver wasn't the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of the finish, I liked this a good bit. The Young Bucks negate their size disadvantage by pearl haboring the faces with belt shots before the bell, making the 50/50 action before the bell (through the crowd, etc) very believable. Everything they do with Steen is realistic to the size difference. Generico is an excellent seller and the Bucks work a solid heat segment while managing to piss the smark crowd off by aping other wrestler's taunts and doing flippy moves into a back rake (I thought that was great). To really put it over the top for me, the Young Bucks do everything they can to cut off Steen and Generico's high spots - grabbing their opponents legs, etc. Of course when they finally DO get the high spots (Generico's somersault and top rope brainbuster), it really pops the crowd (and viewer).

The 500 kicks to Generico's head were ridiculous. I bit on the nearfalls there, mainly because I haven't seen a lot of their work, - especially after the Bang for your Buck sequence. So came out of that like "meh" and then the ending is overbooked with the ref stuff but certainly could be part of a larger storyline I'm missing (plus the ref did get payback - and then a legit good nearfall where the Bucks kick out). Of course taking a package piledriver and immediately rolling up Generico for the three count is absurd.

The bigger story is the significance of the match with Generico going to WWE. I like that the whole post match was included.

• 2 years later...

Very good match. When it comes to indy farewell matches, it's nowhere near the level of matches like Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness or Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. -- but it was a very solid match between 2 great tag teams. Generico gave one last classic Generico babyface performance under that mask, he was a great FIP, and watching The Bucks work the heat on him while he sold his ass off was the highlight of the whole match for me. After Steen makes the hot tag, the match quality goes down a bit, but it still remained enjoyable. The post-match segment is great. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2013-01-12-PWG-DDT4] Kevin Steen & El Generico vs Young Bucks