Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-06-17-WWE-Raw] Mark Henry Retirement Speech

Loss

• 1 year later...

This is simply one of the greatest segments in Raw history. The first several minutes laid out the scenario perfectly. Cena says that he will be ready at any moment for his next challenger, especially with Money in the Bank 2013 coming up. He will no longer be taken by surprise going forward.

Then Henry comes out, having left tweets earlier in the day that hinted at retirement. He left his boots at the entrance ramp, and walked down that aisle with a tremendous salmon jacket. He told Cena that he wasn't there to attack, to keep his guard down, and wanted the WWE Champion to stay for his major announcement. Henry then gave a tremendous speech, tears coming out of his eyes, the crowd completely hooked with chants such as "Thank you Henry!" and "One More Match!" He also put over Cena as a fantastic WWE Champion, and said his only regret was never winning that title. He then directly said he would retiring from the active roster, and that he was coming home to his family after all these years. Cena came back in the ring to give Henry a hug...

Only for the World's Strongest Man to give him the falling powerslam to one of the biggest pops of the 21st Century!!! Henry then makes it very clear he ain't retiring and that he's coming for Cena's title. Why can't other wrestlers cut promos as convincing as The Rock, CM Punk, Mark Henry, and Paul Heyman? This was captivating from start to finish with a fantastic swerve that made 100% sense.

• 1 year later...

"BABY IM COMING HOME"

Honestly, I think this is my pick for the greatest promo in pro wrestling history. I just watched it and the part where he talks about his daughter crying everytime when he leaves, I welled up. Jesus! I knew what was going to happen and I still welled up. I was smiling too while it happened because he got me. That's pro wrestling, baby. Hell even when I watched this in real time in 2013 I smelt the angle from a mile away it still didn't keep me from being swept up in it. From the great self-depreciating humor of "I figured if you forgot me, you would remember this jacket" and "Don't cry for me, Argentina, I am doing enough crying for myself." to talking about the respect he has for everyone that works for WWE, the pride he has in his career, though he has one regret and his family. It is really the perfect retirement speech and that's what makes it so good. He is crying and smiling. Honest to God, you think he is retiring. The promo Cena cuts before this is amazing. Talking about how terrible 2012 was with no World Championship victories, losing to The Rock, but he never gave up and his fans never gave up on him. He is earnestly thanking his fans. Then he discusses how he will be ever-vigilant for his next challenger. Here comes Big 'Ol Mark and Cena is crying & smiling along with the rest of us. "Thank You Henry" chant, damn he worked us good. Mark Henry, you did pro wrestling proud, brutha. "BABY I'M COMING HOME!" World's Strongest Slam. I STILL GOT A LOT LEFT IN THE TANK! THATS WHAT I DO! If I gave out star ratings for promos this is the six star promo.

I am excited to watch the match because I aint never seen the match.

• GSR changed the title to [2013-06-17-WWE-Raw] Mark Henry Retirement Speech