Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-08-04-NJPW-G1 Climax] Tomohiro Ishii vs Katsuyori Shibata

Loss

• 2 years later...

Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax 2013

Shibata Rules All! Ishii hit some MONSTAH LARIATS in this! I was popping out of my seat for these lariats! I marked out for Shibata's full on dropkick to Ishii in the corner. I loved Shibata catching the kick and the smoking Ishii with his own lariats. THOSE HEADBUTTS WERE DISGUSTING! Loved the symmetry in this! Each man trying to show he can outdo the other with a similar move. Really liked Shibata's submissions versus Ishii's throws. What hurt this match was the reliance on fighting spirit spots. I love combination elbows and love people beating the piss out of each other, but the whole stand there while you hit me does nothing for me. They took it to the extreme in this match with each going to a knee to let the other hit them. Enough complaining the finish stretch after the nasty headbutts was NUCLEAR! I thought Shibata had this in the bag with his sleeper (ishii spitting up) to set up the Penalty Kick, but Ishii would not be denied. After all the MONSTAH LARIATS early, Ishii digs two deep and DESTROYS Shibata with Mother of All Lariats twice and hits the Brainbuster for the HUGE upset and HUGE POP!

Liked the Goto match better because of less Fighting Spirit spots, but this one has the better finish I will admit. ****1/4

• 5 months later...

I loved the headbutts in this too. These guys were relentless! The elbows in the corner, and the finish...my god. One huge lariat, and Shibata kicks out at one pissed and on fire. He eats the second lariat ... and it takes to two this time. I was expecting a third lariat at this point, but we got the brainbuster. The lariats had been so brutal, I almost wished we woulda got three for three, but hell this was just downright brutal and awesome.

• 1 year later...

A motherfuckin' slugfest & a half (to say the least) w/ an exceptionally explosive pace right from the get go - loved the crowd when Ishii & Shibata started pacing on their corners before the bell rang, and oh boy when that bell did rang, they just went at it w/ hard hit after hard hit, bomb after bomb, bomb after bomb. The strikes, the explosiveness, the length of the thing + the amazing timing of the 'can-be-corny'-Fighting Spirit stuff make this a real special deal. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2013-08-04-NJPW-G1 Climax] Tomohiro Ishii vs Katsuyori Shibata
  • 1 year later...

This was your typical big Ishii bombfest. I'd say it's a fair criticism to say that Ishii can only work one type of match, but what a match it is. Just balls to the wall action with zero downtime. Shibata's the perfect dance partner for Ishii and I adore the part where they get down on one knee to allow their opponent to land a strike. Once Ishii isn't able to brush off one of Shibata's strikes, Shibata is like a shark who smells blood in the water. Some of the later exchanges which involve a lot of no selling get a bit ridiculous, but the crowd ate it up, so who am I to judge? 

★★★★