Pro Wrestling Only

[2012-04-02-WWE-Raw] CM Punk vs Mark Henry

Loss

• 3 years later...

WWE Champion CM Punk vs Mark Henry - RAW 4/2/12

When I decided to go to WrestleMania in 2012 with my Dad & brother for my graduation from my master's program I saw it as the ultimate gift to myself. In a lot of ways, I was actually in nadir of my wrestling watching. I didn't watch Smackdown at all. I was totally clueless to the whole Yes Movement and I was wondering why everyone was chanting Yes in the parking lot. Honestly, a lot of the storylines headed into RAW did not pique my interest. The pipebomb promo of 2011 renewed my interest in pro wrestling, but I still was not as into it. WrestleMania XVIII was an incredible experience. It was very important in rejuvenating my love for wrestling, but I would say the night after was all the more reason. I have told the story many times that it was Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XIX that made me a lifelong fan again after I completely stopped watching in September of 2001. Well his return in 2012, spurred on a resurgence in my desire to plunge deep into pro wrestling like I never had before. It was in the summer of 2012, I discovered this message board and my life has never been the same. Thank you, Brock! The other thing I remember from that night was how fucking awesome CM Punk vs Mark Henry was. I was already back in my apartment in Michigan and my brother was back home in Boston. We were texting together just marking out about how amazing this match was.

Context, the night before CM Punk defended his championship against Chris Jericho and injured his back. Mark Henry was rewarded with a title shot because CM Punk called John Lauranitis a toolbox at the top of the show. This is without a doubt in my mind the greatest in-ring verbal trash talk I have ever heard. You have your old stand-bys like "That all you got." "I own you.", but then you got some really clever ones "Oh, you wanna count? Count this" then Mark Henry counting along to each stomp. The pinnacle of this and it was burnt in my mind from this match is "Did I tell you to move? You only move when I tell you to move". It is ***** trash talk that is for sure.

Incredible performances from both men, just a perfect David vs Goliath match. CM Punk is trying valiant but keeps getting manhandled and his back just isn't holding up. The number one reason he is staying in this match is that he keeps moving out of the way of things. Mark Henry is beating the tar out of him though. CM Punk is laying in his shots. I loved his elbow flurry before the bearhug could be cinched in. There is one flurry of kicks and then Kenta Kobashi like chops that is just electric. Mark Henry sold all this like a million bucks so when it was time to go down it felt like a huge deal. CM Punk's selling and fighting through the pain is some of the best I have ever seen. Mark Henry played the monster role flawlessly. He gave CM Punk openings but he also knew when to cutoff him. It really made you question how CM Punk could win this match? Guess what ultimately he loses! How about that for a curveball! It has been so long since I had seen the match I totally forgot. CM Punk hits two fabulous running knees in the corner. I got to emphasize this CM Punk's strikes looked fantastic in this match. He goes for his standard bulldog out of the corner but Mark Henry throws him over the top rope on the floor. CM Punk goes splat, but Mark has been knocked so loopy he does not capitalize so CM Punk gets counted out. To me it was a strange finish because Mark Henry was on his way down the card and they never followed up on it. God, I wish they had a program together. I think they could have put together something really special.

I wouldn't bat an eye if someone said this was the best Mark Henry match ever, I like the Orton Night of Champions match better for the definitive finish, but this was a joy to watch. Definitely check it out if you haven't. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2012-04-02-WWE-Raw] CM Punk vs Mark Henry