Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-08-29-NJPW-Cross Road] Koji Kanemoto vs Makoto Hashi

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Kanemoto vs Hashi, New Japan August 29th 2002

Background: New Japan versus NOAH was the hot feud of 2002, and this show captured the dynamic as well as any other. Because of the unusual makeup of the card (mostly junior heavyweights from many promotions and no full-time NJ heavyweights) and the location (traditional All Japan/NOAH haunt Tokyo Nippon Budokan), the crowd was a mix of New Japan and NOAH fans, with NOAH's fans often winning out. This is the second of three NJ vs NOAH junior matches. Kanemoto is the IWGP junior heavyweight champion, and as such is the overwhelming favorite.

Why I think it's underrated: Despite taking place at Nippon Budokan, the event didn't get the coverage that standard big shows did due to the makeup of its card and the lack of a coherent overall theme. Also, this wasn't a "dream match"; Hashi wasn't nearly as athletic and explosive as Marufuji and KENTA, and didn't attract headlines the way they did. This match takes advantage of the strengths of both men: Kanemoto as the cocky superstar and Hashi as the tough underdog.

What it deserves: Top 100. Really solid, plenty of heat, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

• 2 months later...

Kanemoto starts out by beating the shit out of Hashi. For a while. Hashi's hope spots are gritty and violent, matching Koji's tone. So is his eventual comeback. The crowd starts to believe that Hashi can pull this off as he gets some good nearfalls. Koji's cutoff attempts get more frequent and he gets his big nearfalls. Hashi gets his last gasp, but Koji's not gonna lose the IWGP Jr. belt to this NOAH punk. Hashi FIGHTS his way out of two ankle locks, but eats Koji's kneelkick thingy for the flash KO and a 3. Finish may seem kinda weak, but Hashi wasn't going to give up and was scrappy about fighting off the tiger suplex. Makes sense that Koji would just go for blunt force trauma to put him away. Hashi comes across as a tough motherfucker with a never-say-die attitude. Also, his offense is spottier than you may think. It doesn't detract too much from the match and this is one of the better singles matches between juniors I have seen in the 2000s. Should make my bottom 50 pretty easily.

• 1 month later...

It's true, some of Hashi's spots are crazy when you think about how his career ended. He really threw his body around with reckless abandon. Kanemoto at this point was a smart enough worker to make the most out of those spots. He makes Hashi bring it to him and cuts him off whenever he has to. Another strong NJPW vs NOAH match.

• 1 month later...

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion Koji Kanemoto vs Makoto Hashi - NJPW 8/29/02

Is Hashi the junior version of Tenzan? Kanemoto was in Team 2000??? He has pretty similar hair to Kojima. TENKOJI EXPLODES~! This match is much better I would presume than that series in 2005. The most of the transitions in this match are dogshit, but the overall story is well executed. Hashi is tough underdog from NOAH going up against New Japan's junior heavyweight champion. Kanemoto overwhelms him with kicks early and I love how Hashi tries to use any little opening like the ref pulling Kanemoto off to take it to Kanemoto. Kanemoto is in general control, but misses his flip splash (a good transition) and Hashi capitalizes. Hashi hits the Slop Drop on the apron and diving headbutt from apron. Kanemoto just comes in and hits an Owen Hart style belly to belly. Lame. Hashi blows a suplex and then does it again. They runs through a bunch of spots foregoing anything resembling a transition. The endgame is the heel hook with Hashi desperately trying to get out of it and restoring to biting, but not as cool as AKIRA. He misses a diving headbutt from top rope. Of course, Kanemoto kips up and finishes with a kick. It was a fitting end to a match that had no transitions. It had some good heat and Kanemoto is a great prick, but ranks far below the other NOAH vs New Japan matches of 2002. ***

• 2 years later...

Hashi goes up against king prick Koji! The thing is that Koji thinks he's tough shit but, Hashi is from NOAH- the hardest hitting, biggest bomb dropping-est promotion in the world. That's fine for Hashi since Koji figures he'll practice his kicks on young Makoto's lumpy head.

However, Hash-hash remembers he eats kicks for breakfast (Kid tested mother approved) and proceeds to chop and head butt the piss out of Kanemoto. Hashi brings his A game to take out the then IWGP Jr. champ.

I'm always rooting against that smirking bastard! I love to hate him and the Noah Doughboy does me proud.

Now that I think about it, this match reminds me of the early 90s NJ vs. WAR feud. Its good stuff.

• 10 months later...

Makoto Hashi, the guy who thought it was a good idea to emulate Hiroyoshi Tenzan. As a junior wrestler.

Well that fact apart, he was still quite the solid worker, going against veteran ass-kicker Kanemoto, getting his ass beat for a long while because Koji is just that much more experienced, better, meaner and hell, you're a Tenzan wannabe. It's all about Hashi proving himself worthy of pushing the almost legend to the edge and maybe score the upset. Very good match, because Kanemoto knows his stuff and Hashi's goofy (and neck-cracking) offense still gets over.

• GSR changed the title to [2002-08-29-NJPW-Cross Road] Koji Kanemoto vs Makoto Hashi