Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-02-02-WWF-Championship Wrestling] Bruno Sammartino vs Larry Zbyszko

Loss

• 3 years later...

It's been ages since I've seen this but I'm watching again now. It was much more even in the first half than I remembered. What I really love is how Larry goes for what works early on a second time (the hip toss, the shoulder block) and when they get reversed, that's when he really starts to get frustrated. When you factor in the differences in holds (Larry can't keep a hold on but Bruno just lets him out, including from the bear hug), and how the final payoff isn't just Larry blindsiding Bruno, but him doing it as Bruno holds the ropes open for him, you really do get one of the best matches-as-angles in wrestling history.

Also, Vince ending the show looking like he's about to puke from nervousness is an amazing touch.

• 9 months later...

Ah, the main prototype for the Student vs Mentor heel turn, at least as far as WWF goes. A match that turns from a respectful one, to one filled with frustration and then hate. This was no better told then Zbyszko simply being outwrestled by Bruno when he was attempting to do a move, only for it to be countered into a bearhug and went nuts as a result, grabbing the chair and busting Bruno up. The crowd reaction for Bruno as so big and they did a good job of transferring that to heat for Larry. I thought it was a totally well done angle from the initial match to the turn. Great storytelling. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Zbyszko finally has cajoled Sammartino into participating in a scientific exhibition match. It only lasts 10-15 minutes but they pack a lot into this time frame.
Every time Larry tried something Bruno had a counter. Every time Bruno got the jump on Larry, he released the hold. Bit by bit you could see the frustration in Larry growing. When Bruno opened the ropes to allow him back in after he had tumbled to the floor it was the final straw. In a fury he viciously assaults Bruno, flings the referee out the ring and lays Bruno out with three chair shots, Bruno bleeds profusely over the floor and we’re done. Such a well packaged segment that is enhanced by the pretty amazing promos each guy had delivered leading up to it. This has to be the early frontrunner for best feud of 1980 no question.

★★★★

• 8 months later...

This was taped on January 22nd

This is the famous Zbyszko turn and it's really well done. Their wrestling is clean and tight, Bruno keeps outwrestling Zbyszko and the student is clearly frustrated about it. Zbyszko shows fire and wants to win, runs the ropes really fast and clinches the arm as hard he can, but Bruno is clearly on top at every turn. Zbyszko explodes when Bruno shows compassion and starts taking it easy, opening the ropes for him is the ultimate humiliation. Zbyszko is great in his illegal beatdown and the visual of him leaving Bruno in a pool of blood is really effective. It's a match that basically becomes an angle, but the wrestling was solid and the story was told in a perfect way, the fact they did it all in less than 10 minutes is also quite impressive
***1/2