Pro Wrestling Only

Thoughts on some of the DVDVR matches

Resident Evil

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savage was nowhere near as reckless or spot-crazy as he's made out to be, even for his time. He ran the ropes really fast and had a couple of top rope moves, but he's not really comparable at all to Kurt "Do all of your finishers from higher heights multiple times in every big match, kick out of everything that shouldn't be kicked out of, throw too many suplexes and eliminate selling because it wastes time" Angle.

• 1 month later...

I actually think Savage was a great carrier and was lost when he was in the ring with someone as good as him or better than him, because he was a control freak and didn't know what to do. I will post that in that thread later.

That's a very good point. A lot of his great matches are with stiffs that he carrys, or young guys that he is the senior member in the ring and gets to set up the match.

• 2 years later...

09/01/84 - Tito Santana v Paul Orndorff

I have very little to say about this. It was one of the most perfectly average matches I've ever seen. St. Louis crowds are always fun, though, and man, are they electric here!

07/20/85 - Ricky Steamboat v Bob Orton

Ditto here. I think this match was just getting good when it ended though, and as a result, this probably isn't as good as Tito/Orndorff.

9/1/84 - Orndorff vs. Santana - I loved this match. The inverted atomic drop of death.

7/20/85 - Steamboat has been generally disappointing in Disc 1, minus the WM3 match (which I think Savage carried). Orton was great in this match though.

Has anyone else had problems with their discs? On disc two, Warrior/Rude from SummerSlam, the picture was green, the entire screen was green.

Sorry for the ancient bump, I'm now just getting into the discs...

Wow, the two Bad News Brown matches I've seen are horrid.

First is against Savage, who is champ, match is a street fight, Harlem style apparently. Savage gets beaten on for almost the entire match, has little offense, and looks like an enhancement talent instead of world champion. Brown is just horrible, he's sloppy, his strikes look weak and unconvincing, and apparently his head is like Bobo Brazil's.

Then its Brown/Hogan. I don't know what's worse, Hogan's exaggerated overselling, or Brown's no selling. Brown gets in a ton of offense again, Hogan is actively taking a weak looking ass kicking. Brown punches the ring post like he did against Savage, and he channels Brazil once more. I don't see what all the fuss is about, Brown sucks.

I liked the Andre/Killer Khan stretcher match. Although it was a glorified squash match, Khan got in a few stomps, ankle twists, and two kneedrops. I thought I'd be bored out of my mind with this match, but watching Andre decimate Khan was amusing. The ending sequence when Andre "snaps" and delivers seven butt splashes is cool. I can't rate this match high though, considering that it is practically a squash match.

• 5 years later...