Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-02-23-WWF-Raw] Interview: New Age Outlaws

Loss

• 1 month later...

Big interview with mainly Billy and Road Dogg. Road Dogg has a camera and says the LOD are no more and this is the new age. This was in the aftermath of shaving Hawk. The NAO get into their car and look to get away. Meanwhile Chainsaw Charlie tries to cut into the car with the chainsaw and Jack busts the window with a bat. The outlaws have to speed away.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Cole interviews the NAO on the way out of the building as they brag about ending the Legion of Doom once and for all. Interesting that Road Dogg is wearing a DX shirt long before they officially joined the group. I like that in a way, actually, and I don't think that would happen in WWE's overly quality controlled environment now. Terry Funk and Cactus Jack come out with a chainsaw and baseball bat trying to get through their rental car and the NAO are forced to speed away. Wrestlers aren't stunt drivers and it pisses me off for them when they are put in positions to do crap like that.

• 1 year later...

Cole is such a tool here, though that was practically becoming his gimmick as an interviewer at this point. Road Dogg stumbles through his promo and right when I wonder what he's on he declares, "Hell, I'm already half-drunk!" Sounds like he was shooting. As they're driving away they're accosted by Jack & Charlie. Good chaotic scene, though yes, driving a car with a cracked windshield at full speed with a Dumpster, Jack, Charlie, and multiple crew members around is pretty crazy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the chaotic nature of this scene but what was also striking was the reason for Cole and the camera crew to be there. While somewhat hokey in terms of Cole's "I'm a real news reporter" delivery, I liked that he then said to the director/camera crew to cut just before the attack from Cactus and Funk starts so there is a reason for camera's to be rolling and not just 'magically' trained on the car park on the off chance that something might happen. So far in 1998, the WWF was good at giving a reason for cameras to be there and it will be interesting to see when the first 'magic camera' that the people speaking backstage can't see starts to come into effect. Going back to Cole, I did in fact enjoy the investigative style of questioning rather than the trend from the late 2000's up until someone like Renee Young came along of the interviewer just asking for someone's thoughts and then having no other form of dialogue with them.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-02-23-WWF-Raw] Interview: New Age Outlaws