Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-19-WCW-Spring Stampede] Hulk Hogan & Kevin Nash vs Roddy Piper & The Giant (Baseball Bat)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Hogan/Piper is so played. Giant throws a dropkick! Giant puts Piper on his shoulders to get the bat. They never made clear how to win this match, because Piper grabbed the bat and Hogan tossed it aside. Overbooked ending, with Hogan accidentally hitting Nash with the bat. Why did the ref have to be distracted for that? Disciple distracts Piper, leaving him prone to a Hogan pin. Post-match, Nash wants a piece of Hogan for hitting him. Hogan distracts Nash by telling him to powerbomb Giant then attacks Nash from behind with the bat. Then Giant chases Hogan away. This is a huge clusterfuck mess, but hey, Hogan gets all the heat at the end, so that's all that matters I guess.

I'm surprised at this reception as I watched it a few weeks ago after realizing how awesome Hogan's entrance was during this period and I was pleasantly surprised. All 4 guys put in a lot more effort than usual with Giant and Nash doing a really good job playing their roles and making their exchanges feel like a big deal while Hogan and Piper keep things moving with their charisma. I admit the part that made this set was pretty cheesy but that's probably the worst part of the match.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest distractions in this match are the fact that the rules of the match are so unclear and Hogan vs. Piper at this point is so fucking played out. Giant throwing a dropkick looked more smooth than all of Saturn's highspots in the Goldberg match. Finish I did like a decent amount although I didn't really get the whole two bats situation. it at least sets up Hogan straight up attacking Nash with a bat making it known that a split is coming with the NWO.

• 1 year later...

Hogan whacks Nash with a bat, once by accident and once on purpose, so at least something is moving forward here. I don't want to see Piper or the Disciple ever again, and the rest of this is overbooked and as Chad has mentioned, Hogan's feuds are so muddled at this point.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't there a backstage fight between Nash and Piper after this match? They should hate each other cause this was horrible, even just seeing the ending. Nothing made sense, having a referee distracted in what is essentially a no DQ match always has been a pet peeve of mind. Just shitsville the entire way.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-04-19-WCW-Spring Stampede] Hulk Hogan & Kevin Nash vs Roddy Piper & The Giant (Baseball Bat)