Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-27-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Bret Hart

Loss

• 2 months later...

Gene has the most generic introduction of Bret I've ever heard of him giving a wrestler he's about to interview. Bret is soundly booed and this depresses me - in five months, they've taken the hottest guy in wrestling and turned him into another Curt Hennig or Jeff Jarrett-level heel. Bret gives a pretty quotable interview describing the state of wrestling. He's doing his damndest to make something out of this nothing angle, and he is in the mix at least, but I still hate this. I think Gene hurts Bret here. This would be much better as a promo from Bret without anyone in the ring interviewing him.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Bret wasn't dogging it here, just not in a win situation. He is in the forefront of the convoluted NWO mess but there is no rhyme or reason for what he did and they are playing up the explanation as some great unknown. Bret seems frustrated and their is many other ways they could have interjected Bret into the picture. This made me long for the Flair feud and i didn't think that was the right way to introduce him to WCW either.

• 1 year later...

I really think that not even Bret knows what he's supposed to get over here--so he wings it, coming from a real place (that line about the wrestling business being "run by pimps & thieves where good men die like dogs" was an eye-opener) and getting off some good lines, but not really clearing anything up and at times almost shooting on that fact when he says there's no rhyme or reason in wrestling anymore. Of course this whole segment was basically a cheap bait-and-switch to get you to watch Thunder where presumably we'll see Bret's *real* explanation, but he'll only say it face-to-face with Hogan.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-04-27-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Bret Hart