Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-01-WWF-Raw] The Undertaker vs Kane

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Austin and Vince are on commentary together! Priceless. Undertaker gives Kane a tombstone after a ref bump but no one is there to count. Foley is back out as Mankind and Vince plays dumb ("I fired him!"). Kane wins the match and is now the #1 contender. Austin and Vince get heated at the booth. Vince just continues to melt my heart with this stuff. Undertaker and Mankind brawl after the match, and the top two matches are set for King of the Ring.

• 3 weeks later...

They did a good job in this match using this main event to set the main event of KOTR immediately after OVer the Edge but not to phase Foley out as he is revitalized as Mankind and the feud with the Undertaker doesn't seemed played based on their brawling here. I loved the visual of Kane with the fire in front of Austin and Vince beeming. Was surprised to see Kane get the pinfall victory here as it does rehabilitate him well.

• 1 year later...

Vince wonders if Undertaker has been around too long in 1998!!!! LOL! Got another 18 years and counting Vince.

Decent match. Really back n forth. Austin and McMahon are great on commentary. Taker looks to have the match won but here's Mankind! I wonder what his intentions are? Impress the boss? In cahoots with Pail Bearer? Kane wins. I love Kane as the next challenger. Big pun fall victories over Vader and Taker sets him up for Austin.

WWF only has four main eventers compared to the dozen WCW has but using them beautifully and making their encounters mean something!

• 3 weeks later...

I love Vince regressing to his old Commentator Voice but still acting as a heel, especially when Mankind makes his entrance and again during the post-match: "This guy is impressing me! This is a guy who could make his family proud!" Austin vs. Kane is immediately a hot main event since the two have never interacted in Kane's 6 months with the company. The talk about the number of main eventers in the WWF compared to WCW brings to mind the adage of how if you have two starting quarterbacks, you really have none. There's diminishing returns if you have 15 main event guys and none of them have any real focus.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-01-WWF-Raw] The Undertaker vs Kane