Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-06-MPPW-TV] Randy Hales and Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 2 months later...

Randy Hales runs down a list of names who will be on the June 23 show, and it's a star-studded one with Kane, Jeff Jarrett, Road Dogg, the Rock & Roll Express and Lawler vs Kane on top. Hales announces that Stacey has been suspended for interfering in matches and they are clearly about to start a feud with Lawler and Hales, even point blank making comparisons to Austin vs McMahon. And just like Austin-McMahon, this is starting off with Lawler as more of an asshole that the crowd still cheers.

Lawler ends up slapping Hales and Hales tells him he'll regret it. Wow is Lawler a jerk with no justification here.

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of like Hales as someone that feel into something he loved and decided to run a wrestling promotion even though it may not make the most financial sense. Hello Dixie.

Anyway, Randy hypes that big card and then announces the Stacey suspension. The feud between King and Hales feels really shoe horned based on what is happening in WWF but I will see how it plays out.

• 3 months later...

I mean, I can see the potential for him as a foil to Lawler, because of the way Lawler sets himself up. Hales is a classic dweeb, and I can see Lawler playing "cool" against him. My guess is that it will be mostly cringe-worthy, but it might well be over with the crowd, since they seem to eat Lawler up regardless.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, this is a pretty shallow attempt at re-doing Austin vs. McMahon on a minor-league level. Like the others, I can see the appeal in gangly, awkward Randy Hales becoming drunk with power, but as Lawler said...he's no Vince McMahon. This isn't a bad segment but Lawler comes off as way too whiny and heelish here, though that's always been part of his character even as a babyface.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-06-MPPW-TV] Randy Hales and Jerry Lawler