Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-28-WWF-King of the Ring] Steve Austin vs Kane (First Blood)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Undertaker looks to have hurt himself in the Cell as well. He accidentally clocks Austin with a chair and draws blood. Undertaker pours gasoline on the referee. Austin loses the title. Like Kane would have had a place to bleed in his getup. Foley bumped around for Austin some more even after the show went off the air. Long night for the guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember at the time wondering how Kane was going to bleed when he had a mask covering his forehead? They figured out a way around that problem. With a little assistance Kane wins his first world title. After 12 more years of continuous service they rewarded him with a second reign.

It is true that Kane looks like he doesnt have one inch to bleed from. I don't like the decision to get the title off of Austin so quick although it does seem like it was McMahon's turn to win one back but this felt more like Undertaker creating the circumstance instead of Vince being the puppet master.

• 1 year later...

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Kane - WWF King Of The Ring 98 First Blood

I liked this way more than I expected to. A really entertaining Attitude Era brawl with some really crazy, memorable bumps. Austin as the relatable, mortal beer-drinking redneck everyman against a monster was a good story. Austin is so "real" and Kane is so "unrealistic" it makes for a great pairing. Kane doing zombie sit-up after zombie sit-up at the beginning of Austin's crazy offensive flurry set the tone. I liked Austin going right for removing the turnbuckle pad and that's when Kane made his move began beating down the Rattlesnake. The hijinx with the Cell was fun. Austin took a crazy bump head first into half-lowered Cell. Then they teased having Kane hold him as the Cell would come down and crush him. Even Kane got in on the fun taking a wicked bump into the door and then as the Cell was going up suspending himself from his gut on the door. The arena brawling was heated. Austin tried to open up Kane from the back of the head using the exposed turnbuckle, which made sense. The Cell lowers and here is Mankind. Jesus! Stay down Mick! Stunner! STUNNER TO KANE! Now here is a hobbling Undertaker with a chair. Both Austin & Taker have chairs and Taker nails Austin's chair into his head. For some reason, Taker thinks this is a good time to revive the ref. Austin gets to nail Kane to stand tall, but he is bleeding so he loses. Wicked lame finish that is super protective of Austin. I actually thought the match was pretty good up until the run ins.

I think there was an easy way to make this match even better and more heated. All it would have taken was one interview on RAW with JR asking, "Austin, how do you plan on making Kane bleed when he has that leather mask?". "I am take that stupid sumbitch's mask off, shove up his ass, expose his hideous, scarred deformed face, then I am going to bust him wide open and make him wish he died in that fire. If you want to see me take off that dumb freak's mask, give me a hell yeah? HELL YEAH!" Now there is a new wrinkle to intrigue fans will I get to see Kane's face. Then have the match worked around Austin trying to take off the mask, but ultimately failing. Anyways, the match we got was good, but a lame finish. ***

• 4 weeks later...

The start of the Russofication of the WWF title, but the result was a shocker at the time. Austin was working hurt, with a staph infection in his elbow (you can see the Barry Bonds-esque elbow guard and gauze underneath) on top of his usual injuries. Undertaker was already hurt going into HIAC and reaggravated a broken ankle when he hopped down from the roof, which we could also see. Foley was...yeah. We're officially in the full swing of the speculation about Undertaker and Kane secretly working together, as UT makes sure to revive the referee after he accidentally(?) busts Austin open with the chair so that he can see the blood.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-28-WWF-King of the Ring] Steve Austin vs Kane (First Blood)
  • 8 months later...

This is an okay enough Attitude era brawl, but I hate Mankind running in. Him just randomly coming out and bumping for Austin/Taker severely undercuts the punishment he took in the cell match and it added nothing to the match. They could've had Taker come out and do the ending without sending Foley out. since in storyline he hates Kane as much as Mankind and would swing a chair at him. It still sets up Summerslam and Foley was not needed in the match at all. Luckily no one seems to remember Foley actually making a run in after two of the grossest bumps in wrestling history and getting a standing ovation for his performance.