Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-07-08-ECW-TV] Dudley Boys vs New Jack & Kronus / Taz and Bam Bam Bigelow

Loss

• 2 months later...

The Dudleys have a surprise partner against Dreamer and Sandman. "Desperado" starts and people think Terry Funk is coming out, but no Terry can be found. Bubba Ray says "Psyche!" (in 1998) and calls everyone dumb marks for thinking he'd be there before going into a profanity-laced tirade. The intros go on forever, although the Beulah reference raised an eyebrow. I really hate this feud and I'm sick of these guys, but I do like Shane Douglas on color.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess this wasn't a match. Anyway, this was better than the recent ECW stuff to me and I did like how hook, line and sinker the crowd fell for the Funk fakeout. The intros then by Gertner wouldn't end. Remember Kronus? We then get the generic New Jack style brawl but Bubba had some fun bumps and Victory takes a nice guitar shot. Taz attacks Douglas in the booth. They really built up their Guilty as Charged 1999 match but damn I don't care about it. Dreamer has barbed wire for the first time in New York and uses it to get some revenge on behalf of Beulah.

• 4 months later...

Gertner is brilliant here, not letting anyone get in on the D-Von intro.

"First they break Beulah McGillicutty's neck, and now they won't stop talking about it. It's an old Franchise trick, rub salt in the wound!"

This was fun - at the very least, the structure, with the brawl in the studio intercut with the match, felt different and was interesting to watch.

• 1 year later...

From the Terry Funk fakeout onward, they finally attempt to switch things up a bit instead of re-treading the same material. I'm mostly over Gertner but I did appreciate his heeling on the crowd by not going along with his own catchphrase. Jack Victory's attempted sneak attack on New Jack doesn't work this time, as Jack turns and catches him with the guitar as he runs in. Douglas goads Taz into invading the commentator's booth where he's jumped by Bam Bam Bigelow. Dreamer gets a measure of revenge by driving a chair and a barbed wire board into D-Von's head.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-07-08-ECW-TV] Dudley Boys vs New Jack & Kronus / Taz and Bam Bam Bigelow