Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-03-WCW-Nitro] NWO and Kimberly

Loss

• 2 months later...

The NWO confronts Kimberly in the ring, which gives her a chance to show off her incredible acting skills. Kimberly slaps Bischoff and the NWO corners her. DDP runs out frantically for the save to no avail. Yeah, it's believable that NO ONE would see this happening and make a save. This is quite possibly the worst heel beatdown of all time.

• 4 weeks later...

This is exactly the same angle as they ran with Randy and Liz. To be fair that was the best part of two years beforehand. It was better the first time as well. I do usually like bad acting (ty Kimberly), but there's so much of it on wrestling programs it loses some of its appeal.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the worst thing I have seen in 1998 so far. They tried so hard to make this edgy and groundbreaking and it just seemed lame and tasteless. I really hated this and thought this episode of Nitro maybe more than any other so far this year, showed the huge problems starting to really swell around WCW.

• 1 year later...

The NWO interrupt a Nitro Girls performance and Kimberly stands in the corner like an idiot instead of bailing. This is not only, as Chad says, a failure in being edgy and groundbreaking, it also reeks of copycatting the stuff with Vince and Sable. WCW would be accused of doing stuff like that very often--sometimes for good reason, sometimes not, but this is about as blatant of a WWF ripoff angle as it gets in the pre-Russo era.

Is anyone here old enough to remember when late-'80s SNL when they were first allowed to use the word "penis," so Conan O'Brien wrote a nude beach sketch that used the word 43 times? That's how I feel about all the mild profanity we're getting on this particular episode of Nitro. They've gotten some of the censorship lifted so they're going to milk it for everything it's worth. Indescribably awful segment. Bischoff and Hogan are SO bad here, to the point where I was praying we'd return to the NWO Nightcap desk. Hogan invites Kimberly to Hollywood's house next time she needs some loving, because Daddy has some loving for her--yeah, Hulk's not trying way too hard here or anything. Schiavone has totally checked out at this point and clearly no longer has any fucks left to give.

Hey, as long as we're on a nostalgia kick in this post, does anyone remember a guy named Bret Hart? Whatever happened to him?

• GSR changed the title to [1998-08-03-WCW-Nitro] NWO and Kimberly