Pro Wrestling Only

Some pics:

rRzcOZx.png

Wrestling 2 here, doing what he usually does.

ZVq6fLs.png

Steve Keirn has a really awesome shoulder-breaker.

cY8a313.png

Jim Duggan in a football helmet.

9Nrn4gn.png

The exceptionally short GCW ring as seen moments after Charlie Cook does the tiniest bump to the outside ever witnessed.

DiI5dKW.png

Dusty, one of the all-time great promos. He cut them like an evangelical preacher.

rass45Z.png

This made me wonder if Tommy Rich has ever seen D.A. Pennebaker's Ziggy Stardust documentary about the final Hammersmith gig. The visual reference is uncanny here.

qLOYwFg.png

Tommy Rich: most Southern man ever born.

X3IrRfa.png

THE classic version of the Freebirds.

GrBlonj.png

The usually-quiet Gene Anderson on the mic. Older than God here.

P1XpEND.png

Ole Anderson: in my view, as good a promo as the business has ever seen.

Charlie Cook is one of those guys I really wish there was more footage of. I've seen that football helmet match with Duggan, some Florida stuff and some Southeastern TV matches and he always looks good and surprisingly agile for a guy his size. I put a match from Southeastern on youtube between Cook & Saito that I liked a lot.

Back to that Georgia disc now, and it's the Mongolian Stomper and his manager Don Carson with Solie talking over a match from the Omni between him and Dusty.

Freebies now, March 29th is Michael Hayes's birthday. He's got the hair cream and says he's repulsed every time he sees JYD. "I mean you're a BOY. I BOooooooyyyt, capital B". Not much racially progressive about that.

A chance to see some Bob Backlund in action now against Superstar Graham. It's the clip from when he won the belt they'd always show.

8. Mongolian Stomper vs. Steve O

Stomper is the National Champ. Steve O was kind of like the Tom Zenk of his day, only he was better than Zenk. But a bland white meat babyface nonetheless.

This was a pretty decent match, Stomper is aging and kind of awkward in spots, but his timing is good. And Steve O shows good fire. Don Carson gets himself involved for a typical fuck finish. This is in the *** range.

Ole Anderson is with an interviewer, not Solie, I don't know him. That match with Dusty and Andre has happened. And, apparently, they were able to do a number on Andre. I really wish there was footage of that. Ole is just cool in these interviews. Such an underrated personality in the overall scheme of things.

9. Freebirds vs. JYD and Ted DiBiase

Gordy and Roberts again. JYD has Another One Bites the Dust of course. Ted and Buddy to start. JYD is lean by his standards here. Still stacked, but at least he could move and do some stuff. Frequent tags in and out from the babyfaces. Snapmares by JYD, cranking head locks by DiBiase. Double atomic drop. Side Russian leg sweep by JYD.

"Michael Hayes, becoming an absolute study in frustration" - Gordon Solie

Babyfaces have guzzled up Roberts a good bit here. Even a tag to Gordy results in Ted blocking him and hitting a back suplex. Almost like the match is being worked double heel-in-peril. Freebirds have had very little offense in the match.

JYD becomes the FIP and Gordy gives him a swinging neckbreaker. JYD is still kind of kept strong during this, little counters here and there, and a double collision clothesline. The Freedbirds kind of worked uber weak didn't they.

Full scoop powerslam by Ted on Roberts. But then Hayes interferes and Gordy piledrives Ted on the concrete. He rolls back in. Piledriver by Gordy. Cover. Kickout! Piledriver! A fourth piledriver! Kickout! A fifth piledriver! Tommy Rich runs in and throws in the towel.

Pier six. Ted is injured and this is one of the all-time great angles. Gordon Solie is just perfect during it. In the moment, "don't touch him! He's haemorrhaging!"

We don't get the promo from the hospital here though, we cut to Solie with Mike Davies and Mr Wrestling II wearing a lovely little cardigan and a tie. We see footage of the Andersons, Gene and Ole, beating the holy crap out of Wrestling II. Steve Keirn and Steve O run in for the save.

Now we get Steve O commentating over a tag with Keirn and him vs. Gene and Ole. Dusty comes out to keep an eye on Don Carson. He chases him off but then when Dusty isn't looking takes him out with a 2x4. Seems like those Omni crowds saw a lot of fuck finishes. Steve O has zero personality or charisma.

Dusty has sent in a tape with words for Don Carson. He's pulled out the bull rope. "The pain, the blues, the agony" Dusty was a poet. Just a genius promo.

Footage now of Steve O against Mongolian Stomper at the Omni. Dusty was injured so O came in to sub. He wins the national title against a shocked Stomper with the airplane spin. Shades of Dominic Denucci.

10. Ric Flair vs. A jobber

Vertical suplex, figure four and it's over. But now a promo with the great man himself. Here, the number 1 contender for the world title "closely followed by Wildfire Tommy Rich". "Atlanta: you need Ric Flair Harley Race: you've gonna have Ric Flair. And that gold belt is going to end up around my waist!"

Tommy Rich now, to talk about footage of him and JYD against the Freebirds. Rich calls Hayes a "sissy". Rich is also incredibly out of breath, for some reason. Really sweet suplex by Gordy on JYD. Picture perfect. Of course, they blind JYD again with the hair cream. Got to give it to the Dog, he sells it insanely well. They only got him in one eye properly though.

And now we are going to see Ted DiBiase in hospital in one of the greatest pieces of method acting in the history of this great sport. Ted was 100% healthy but stayed in the hospital for three straight days to maintain kayfabe. He voice is cracked. The man should have had an Oscar for this, surely a better performance than Henry Fonda in the mostly forgotten On Golden Pond, which won that year. Probably the best bit of acting DiBiase would do until the Million Dollar Man skits.

Freebirds in the studio and the crowd are chanting "sissy" at Hayes. "I'm a man, darn it, I'm a full-blooded man!" squawks Hayes. If you consider they had Dusty and Ole on the roster too, with JYD in on loan, GCW had so much charisma and star power in 1981. It's the same footage we saw with Rich, but now we are seeing it from Hayes's perspective, this is some Rashomon shit right here.

"Georgia on my mind? The only thing on his mind is Buddy Roberts's boot on his head!" - Michael Hayes.

There is actually no limit to how awesome Hayes is.

"You see I tripped! I tripped! It was an accident! If he had never been there in the corner where he didn't belong ... He was the illegal man. It was an accident and I cannot be held responsible. I mean if he's stupid, he stupid, I ain't his parents or nothin'. I can't be held responsible to where he stands in the ring!" - Michael Hayes

Just one of the all-time great heels, there's nothing else to say. I think if guys today could cut promos like this, they'd get heat. They either don't, can't or aren't allowed to, but this is what you need.

Don Carson is with Solie now and he has to listen to Dusty cut a promo. He wants Carson to TESTIFY.

Electric promotion. Yes, we don't get the matches in full, but when they promos are as great as they are, doesn't really matter. I'd seen some of this stuff before when we covered it on Titans, but it doesn't lose its impact.

Now it is time for more randomness ... Florida Turnbuckle Memories, Volume 7!

I feel like Florida is one of the more under explored territories vs. the amount of footage that seems to be available.

Dusty is our host and this was for RF Video. Most of this stuff is from 1987 after CWF had been bought out by JCP. Today we are going to look at The Funks! Okay, well, maybe my selection wasn't as random as it appears, ha ha.

Florida Championship Wrestling starts and our host is Steve Keirn. FCW and Jim Crockett Promotions have made a big merger, and Keirn is the new host. That was mistake number one that Crockett made by the way, not retaining the services of Gordon Solie who was so synonymous with that show. They made the same mistake when they acquired Georgia. I don't know what Crockett had against Solie.

Kevin Sullivan is in an empty arena. For the first time in his life he's alone. And now he's at a low ebb he's reached out to the man he's hated more than anyone else: Bob Windham, Blackjack Mulligan. He says Mulligan is the Last American Hero. When they tagged, his two sons Barry and Kendell, and his son-in-law Mike Rotunda all said that they Mulligan shouldn't be hanging around with a guy like Sullivan. But he did what he felt was right, because he had a gut feeling. But now he's gone. He doesn't know if it was the Funk Brothers or the Sheepherders, but Mulligan is down and out. The Funks and the Sheepherders have joined forces.

"I'll always hate you and you'll always hate me. I'm talking to you the big blonde, I hate your guts! I'll always hate you and you'll always hate me ... And it will never change. But he is the head of your family, DR, Blackjack Mulligan is the head of The family. So if you don't come for me, I don't give a damn. Mulligan's a fallen hero. Come now and dream for the Last American Hero". - Kevin Sullivan

Wow. He almost had tears in his eyes as he was finishing that. Sullivan, another awesome promo guy who never really gets his due. And the conceit of the old heel rival wanting his arch nemesis back is some pretty powerful stuff.

1. Terry Funk vs. Mike Rotunda

It's meant to be Tim Horner, but for some reason Rotunda has taken his place. Funk isn't happy and wants to bail. Funker has got his full cowboy gear on here, all leather chaps. Bails quickly and swings wildly.

It's 1987. And although Dory seems to have the Florida belt in his possession, it seems like in the history books, the title was actually held up and he had basically just stolen the title.

Rotunda is pretty spirited here, and Funk is in full on cartoon mode selling huge and doing the wobbly legs all over the place. As Rotunda gets Terry up for the airplane spin, Dory hits the ring and starts stomping on Rotunda. Neat little match around **1/2

Sullivan runs in for a save and beats on Terry, they brawl outside the ring as Rotunda takes care of Dory in it. Dory bails, but Rotunda follows him. Sullivan meanwhile beats Terry all over the studio. All four men in the ring. Dory has colour. The Funks bail.

Dory was always a lot more heelish in Florida and the Funks in general were more dastardly in that territory, I think it goes back to the Brisco days: because Jack was such a huge babyface there, the Funks were huge heels there.

And now ... Johnny Ace is on the beach with some women. Absolutely horrendous promo with zero charisma, acting talent or presence. Just woeful from Ace.

2. The Sheepherders vs. The Cuban Connection

Ace is the flagbearer for the Sheepherders. Sierra gets very bloody pretty early here. Pretty soon after that all four guys have colour. Johnny Ace just flagrantly uses the flag outside throughout. Eventually, the Cuban Connection steal the flag and leave. Despite the double juice, this wasn't much of anything.

Dusty comes through the crowd. He is wildly over. That's it, was just a bit of hype.

3. Mike Graham vs. Mr. X

Just a squash match really. I'm not sure about Steve Keirn as a solo play-by-play guy.

Graham goes over to talk to Keirn. Backdrop is Grady as hell, like that scene out of Scarface when he kills the crooked cop. Graham compares the backdrop to the Johnny Carson show.

Back to Dusty presenting the DVD. And he's setting up Jack Brisco vs. Bill Watts as a great rivalry. He puts over both guys huge.

4. Jack Brisco vs. Bill Watts

I've seen this match at least twice already, but always happy to watch it again. Watts is on commentary, of course and if you are reading this you need to stop doing so, go to YouTube and see if you can see this AT ONCE.

Gary Hart is around. I've reviewed this in the Brisco Microscope thread. Watts gives an ABC lesson in how to be a heel commentating on his own match.

Keirn introduces the Funks now. Here's an interview from them.

Dory has the stolen belt. Terry speaks. He mentions the NWA, the AWA and the WWF. But there's a new one on the sun rise: F, F, and F ... Funk, Funk and Florida.

"What's become of Blackjack Mulligan? Well he is what he was before: a chicken plucking chicken back in Sweetwater ,Texas. ... He is not a has been. I hate to inform you people that the old prune-face wrinkled up Black Jack Mulligan is what I have always said he was ... A never was!" - Terry Funk

Funk's insane disgust at Mike Rotunda "the pretty boy" is mental, and the bit on Sullivan after that even more awesomely crazy. Slips in an "egg-suckin dog" too.

"I don't care what the NWA, or the State Athletic Commission of Florida, says" - Dory Funk Jr

I'm sure I've seen this promo before, but if you haven't, you must. Try doing some searches around Funks, 1987 and Florida.

5. Dory Funk Jr vs Jerry Grey

Dory has his head taped after the cut he sustained before. Grey targets it, but gets submitted by the spinning toehold in short order. Dory once again more heelish in Florida than elsewhere.

Flair hype video now. Just various clips of him looking awesome in his robe.

6. The Samurai Warriors vs. two fat jobbers

The Warriors were managed by Hiro Matsuda. One of them looks an awful lot like Chris Benoit, who submits Bass with a cobra clutch. He isn't Benoit by the way.

One of the jobbers is called "Bass" and is wearing the same gear as Outlaw Ron Bass, but he's not Ron Bass. I think his name is Sam Bass. Just a squash.

7. Kevin Sullivan vs. Jim Backlund

Sullivan looked vicious here. Just another squash.

Sullivan gets on the mic and calls out the Funks.

It's kind of weird that Crockett continued booking these shows well into 1987, with a different crew. It's also weird that they used the Funks here and not on the main roster. Imagine The Funks vs. The Horsemen in 1987, talk about lost potential.

Anyway, the promos are good, but not a lot is "must see" in terms of the matches here. Just see out the crazy Funks promo and the Brisco-Watts match.

Georgia 81 pics:

d0d2HwM.png

Mongolian Stomper with Don Carson.

vqaUjUC.png

Hayes with another ungodly great promo.

TgFVzqJ.png

The GOAT doing a suplex.

ivldHzm.png

DiBiase turning in the best acting performance of 1981.

IMb033d.png

Don Carson with a bull rope.

zBipLQS.png

"Warriors ... come out to playeeee"

Florida 87 pics:

hRKAsqG.png

Keirn in front of the Scarface-tribute backdrop.

1C01YvS.png

Oddly emotional babyface promo from Sullivan.

KMjyKdD.png

Terry Funk objects to not being allowed to wrestle with a branding iron in his hand.

pXYh9ew.png

Johnny Ace with one of the worst promos ever committed to tape.

fa9YLhe.png

Sheepherders vs. Cuban Assassins: proof that blood doesn't always make for a great brawl.

tNTLu8z.png

Mike Graham, strangely looking like a mid-70s Marlon Brando.

MtcAOwU.png

Bill Watts has the great Jack Brisco in a hammerlock.

zUDAS48.png

aSFHXyu.png

Terry with a batshit-mental promo as Dory holds on to a belt that isn't really his.

utqg1hP.png

Dory: always much more heelish in Forida.

aW2iJtA.png

Million Dollar Dream! This man is not Chris Benoit.

r0jqK8b.png

Did Steve Kerin follow the advice of his own hat?