Pro Wrestling Only

Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

I just find it ironic that Chikara is so anti-traditional wrestling tenets and wanting to abandon the way it "used to be done" but yet strictly maintain some forms of kayfabe. They seem to want to pick & choose which aspects of kayfabe/traditional wrestling protocol to keep. They want people to buy into time travel, wrestling in slow motion, etc. but yet it's sacrilege to even suggest guys are anything else outside of their world. No other form of entertainment attempts to hide people's identities/pasts/alter egos from the press but yet to their office it seems to be a major offense for anyone to disclose that some guys wrestle under a different name elsewhere or perform without a mask elsewhere. I wonder if they have a secret handshake or something instead of the carny handshake?

I was thinking about the "death" angle last night and it probably is no different than the Undertaker stuff & when they tried to kill off Vince. But I still think there's a disconnect to present a family friendly/fun environment and then expect people to feign a somber moment or buy into a heavy angle as a "heavy angle" under the guise of buying into the universe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a local indie tonight that had a War Games match and JJ Dillon was the manager for the babyface team. I've been to a few indie shows this year(FIP, Evolve) but I haven't been to a homegrown Florida indie before. It was interesting to see guys that I go to the gym with that I had no idea were wrestlers. The war games match was fun as it had two rings and actually had some blood. Only guys I knew in it were the Dark City Fight Club that used to be in ROH. JJ Dillon punching out the heel manager was a nice touch. I was also surprised to see a rival promotion put postcards plugging its shows on people's cards. I've seen this happen at NXT/WWE but it seem kinda weak to do that at another indie show. Reminds me of when WWE ran Mania at Orlando and TNA had a video truck at Fan Axxess down the road. Is this common?

I went to a local indie tonight that had a War Games match and JJ Dillon was the manager for the babyface team. I've been to a few indie shows this year(FIP, Evolve) but I haven't been to a homegrown Florida indie before. It was interesting to see guys that I go to the gym with that I had no idea were wrestlers. The war games match was fun as it had two rings and actually had some blood. Only guys I knew in it were the Dark City Fight Club that used to be in ROH. JJ Dillon punching out the heel manager was a nice touch. I was also surprised to see a rival promotion put postcards plugging its shows on people's cards. I've seen this happen at NXT/WWE but it seem kinda weak to do that at another indie show. Reminds me of when WWE ran Mania at Orlando and TNA had a video truck at Fan Axxess down the road. Is this common?

Yeah, passing out fliers on rival turf is VERY common and usually results in amusing indie beef. Around here Sharmell & Booker go insane when promotions do this at ROW shows. Mostly Sharmell. Booker plays good cop in that relationship.

• 3 weeks later...

Big weekend coming up with ROH doing a traditional PPV on Sunday night and Chikara having their season finale on ippv on Saturday.

I will say for all their faults at times, Chikara does have some great production and the music and presentation of the TOmorrow Never Dies report has me contemplating getting that card. Seems pretty loaded with every match having pretty serious implications plus I am a sucker for Devastation Inc.

The ROH PPV to me looks fairly status quo although the main event could go either way as I think ROH has certainly realized that Elgin should have never won the belt in the first place so we will see if they recircle back to Cole or keep building someone else to conquer Brisco.

Are the ROH PPVs remotely profitable? Who is buying these things? I'm really out of touch, have they actually got any talent left or exciting guys coming through? Amazing the promotion has lasted this long at this level, they were reportedly losing money even with strong DVD sales and decent gates from 2004-2006. Who is keeping them afloat and why? Anyone think there might be a market for ROH to launch an On Demand service with their old events? Especially considering all the future stars on the early shows.

These aren't rhetorical questions, I'm genuinely interested.

ROH has had its best year this year than in a long time. They have seen increased attendance and I think the product has gotten a lot better. I have seen strides in Cole's work and enjoy watching him and the Kingdom become a heel stable. AJ has been great in the legends role having great matches with Hero, very good match with Sydal and getting a lot out of Hanson. The fresh talent like ACH and Hanson has been given chances and delivered when asked to. I really think ROH has done a lot in this year to reaffirm itself as the top indy in the country overall.

One of my goals for 2015 is to really start following the indy scene again. I lost touch with it in late 2010-early 2011 and haven't been able to catch back up with it. I have been watching ROH here and there and attending a few local shows but I really want to get immersed in it again.

This new wave of people like Timothy Thatcher, Biff Busick, etc sounds intriguing.

Random question though, besides Tournament of Death, are there any more deathmatch tournaments happening on a regular basis or has that fad sort of faded away?

One of my goals for 2015 is to really start following the indy scene again. I lost touch with it in late 2010-early 2011 and haven't been able to catch back up with it. I have been watching ROH here and there and attending a few local shows but I really want to get immersed in it again.

This new wave of people like Timothy Thatcher, Biff Busick, etc sounds intriguing.

Random question though, besides Tournament of Death, are there any more deathmatch tournaments happening on a regular basis or has that fad sort of faded away?

IWA is still doing their Deathmatch stuff but the fad is certainly on the decline without anyone new of note really being any good even from a deathmatch buzz standpoint.

The last CZW show I saw was the one they did in Hamilton, Ohio in 2012. It seemed then that they were sort of starting to steer away from the death match stuff but hints of it were still there.

Personally, I always enjoyed the Carnage Cup as far as death match tourneys go. It always had the look and feel like it could be broken up by the cops at any time and was pretty much just one step up from a bad backyard show.

Big weekend coming up with ROH doing a traditional PPV on Sunday night and Chikara having their season finale on ippv on Saturday.

I will say for all their faults at times, Chikara does have some great production and the music and presentation of the TOmorrow Never Dies report has me contemplating getting that card. Seems pretty loaded with every match having pretty serious implications plus I am a sucker for Devastation Inc.

Chikara hasn't interested me much this year but I agree that they have a strong looking card for the finale. Lots of variety and high-stake matches that have been building all year. On paper at least, the card feels like a fun territorial super card with gimmick/high-stakes matches up and down the card. Also like you, I am a big fan of the Devastation Corporation. While they still have a ways to go, they have improved leaps and bounds over the past year or so. They've developed into a nice big man tag team, which is a rarity on the indies.

Are the ROH PPVs remotely profitable? Who is buying these things? I'm really out of touch, have they actually got any talent left or exciting guys coming through? Amazing the promotion has lasted this long at this level, they were reportedly losing money even with strong DVD sales and decent gates from 2004-2006. Who is keeping them afloat and why? Anyone think there might be a market for ROH to launch an On Demand service with their old events? Especially considering all the future stars on the early shows.

According the Observer, the first one in June did well and exceeded expectations. Going in, ROH considered 10,000 buys to be a definite success and would make for a profitable show. They reportedly surpassed those numbers. Dave also said that they got a good deal from the PPV companies which makes sense because they are looking for content with WWE killing their PPV business. They are only running a few per year and based off of the first show, there might be enough hardcore wrestling fans out there to make them profitable if they keep expenses down.

Sinclair Broadcasting runs ROH on a relatively small budget. It is free programming for them and in some markets ROH TV apparently does quite well at least relative to the alternatives. It is basically free programming for their TV stations. The promotion had a spike in attendance at the start of 2014, thanks in some part to A.J. Styles but even non-Styles shows generally showed a bit of an uptick. They did really well on the New Japan shows in May. With few exceptions, they seem to be doing 400+ at most shows which given the budget they run on is probably "good enough" to keep them going. I doubt that the promotion as a whole is making money, but given the free programming benefit they provide for Sinclair, that balances things out.

The TV show is actually okay (relatively speaking) in an NXT sort of way where it is a short, easy to watch, tight one hour wrestling program. The wrestling quality isn't very good in general, the talent feels stale, and the booking is so-so but the TV show is non-offensive. In 2014, that's good enough to classify as a good weekly TV wrestling show.

Here's the thing about Chikara's Season Finale: I care about nothing. Okay, I'm interested in Throwbacks vs Dev Corp but that is it. Truthfully though I can't be bias. as someone who wanted to hop right back into Chikara I felt left out in the cold for whatever new direction they had decided to take the company. Matches have been built to but I don't care enough to watch a strong majority of the participants so what does it matter?

As far as ROH's PPV, pretty much the same thing. I like enough guys in ROH but it just feels like they were starting pump out matches that I was really interested in and then they decided to take a turn and go back to Bucks and the Addiction pairing. I could get behind Cole vs Briscoe but that feels about it. I JUST WANT TO LIKE YOU WRESTLING!

If you are into deathmatch wrestling it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at Connar Claxton who has decided to mix grappling with deathmatch wrestling. Just had his first DM last month...in Ohio with CZW if it wasn't a month ago.

The wrestling quality isn't very good in general, the talent feels stale, and the booking is so-so but the TV show is non-offensive. In 2014, that's good enough to classify as a good weekly TV wrestling show.

Jesus, awful to think that is where we are at. True though, excellent post. 10,000 buys seems a very large amount for ROH to be coining in for a PPV.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the NWA Branded Outlaw Wrestling show here in San Antonio. Last time I went to a BOW show, NJ guys were on the bill so it will be fun to see what the locals can do on their own.

Papy C vs. Local Mexican Wrestler (Ray Ortiz?)

- Papy looks like Neville if he was a little Mexican dude. Same hair. Same height. OK match won by Ray Ortiz (?).

Rudy Russo vs. Terrible Temper (?) Vs. JUICY Ramos

- fun three way with all action and No botched spots. Temper or Tempo looks like James Hardin on Booker Ts body. Juicy wins with an elbow to Russo.

Mike Dell vs. Big Daddy Yum Yum (that's what his shirt said)

- I love Dell. Never puts on a bad show. Dell was supposed to fight Charlie Haas but Haas no showed. Yum Yum isn't very good... like the black Van Hammer. I also like Dell better as a heel. Dell pins Yum Yum with a Flying Elbow. Eh... this was ok but Haas would have had a better match.

Ricky Starks vs. Carson

- Starks looks like a skinny Rocky Mai via in 96 but acts like Gino Hernandez with awesome facial expressions and mannerisms. I love this guy... maybe my favorite local heel after Andy Dalton. Carson wins with a super kick but the match was pretty great entirely due to Starks.

ACH vs. Andy Dalton

-early on, good match with ACH keeping the Flying to a minimum but still breaking out some jaw dropping moves. Dalton may be the best heel on the indies but he lost the blonde hair and is getting himself in better shape. I sorta miss the mini Buddy Rose gimmick he had going. Dalton wins in a pretty great match by kicking ACH in the balls and hitting the piledriver. They got a little chop happy in places but match of the night so far.

Sons of Texas vs. Weazy Wu and One Really Big Black Guy

- Weazy Wu could have been a member of Special K... just skin and bones. His partner is huge.. it Marl Henry huge but just a powerhouse. Good solid tag formula with Weazy getting hit with a Doomsday Device for the Sons of Texas win.

Franco D'Angelo vs. James Claxton

- Claxton Reminds me of a Godwin and Franco reminds me of Taz so think of a Wannabe Godwin vs. A Worse Than Taz and that was about as good as this match would be. Worst match of the night and being too close to the ring really hurt since the Big Boot that won the match for Claxton missed by about 6 inches and for trying to brawl, they worked really light.

Overall, one of the best local shows I have been to up until the shitty main event. The Japanese show I went to last year felt more special but this had the better crowd and atmosphere even with less people in the gym. MVPs were Ricky Starks, ACH and Andy Dalton. Fun night of wrestling.

I went to the NWA Branded Outlaw Wrestling show here in San Antonio. Last time I went to a BOW show, NJ guys were on the bill so it will be fun to see what the locals can do on their own.

Papy C vs. Local Mexican Wrestler (Ray Ortiz?)

- Papy looks like Neville if he was a little Mexican dude. Same hair. Same height. OK match won by Ray Ortiz (?).

Rudy Russo vs. Terrible Temper (?) Vs. JUICY Ramos

- fun three way with all action and No botched spots. Temper or Tempo looks like James Hardin on Booker Ts body. Juicy wins with an elbow to Russo.

Mike Dell vs. Big Daddy Yum Yum (that's what his shirt said)

- I love Dell. Never puts on a bad show. Dell was supposed to fight Charlie Haas but Haas no showed. Yum Yum isn't very good... like the black Van Hammer. I also like Dell better as a heel. Dell pins Yum Yum with a Flying Elbow. Eh... this was ok but Haas would have had a better match.

Ricky Starks vs. Carson

- Starks looks like a skinny Rocky Mai via in 96 but acts like Gino Hernandez with awesome facial expressions and mannerisms. I love this guy... maybe my favorite local heel after Andy Dalton. Carson wins with a super kick but the match was pretty great entirely due to Starks.

ACH vs. Andy Dalton

-early on, good match with ACH keeping the Flying to a minimum but still breaking out some jaw dropping moves. Dalton may be the best heel on the indies but he lost the blonde hair and is getting himself in better shape. I sorta miss the mini Buddy Rose gimmick he had going. Dalton wins in a pretty great match by kicking ACH in the balls and hitting the piledriver. They got a little chop happy in places but match of the night so far.

Sons of Texas vs. Weazy Wu and One Really Big Black Guy

- Weazy Wu could have been a member of Special K... just skin and bones. His partner is huge.. it Marl Henry huge but just a powerhouse. Good solid tag formula with Weazy getting hit with a Doomsday Device for the Sons of Texas win.

Franco D'Angelo vs. James Claxton

- Claxton Reminds me of a Godwin and Franco reminds me of Taz so think of a Wannabe Godwin vs. A Worse Than Taz and that was about as good as this match would be. Worst match of the night and being too close to the ring really hurt since the Big Boot that won the match for Claxton missed by about 6 inches and for trying to brawl, they worked really light.

Overall, one of the best local shows I have been to up until the shitty main event. The Japanese show I went to last year felt more special but this had the better crowd and atmosphere even with less people in the gym. MVPs were Ricky Starks, ACH and Andy Dalton. Fun night of wrestling.

I've been trying to tell the world about Starks & Dalton for a while now.

Starks is the real deal. He totally gets it. You are 100% correct about his facials & mannerisms. He's also the best seller on the indie scene, and in my opinion already elite level in that regard. He's a great Gino Hernandez heel, but he's also a great cocky babyface who is awesome at the fiery babyface comeback or as the hot tag. He's still a kid, but he has a GREAT mind for wrestling and watches tons of tapes from all over the world. He already carries himself like a star, too.

Dalton is the son of Frank Dalton, who was an underneath guy in the territory days, and was also the original Kimchee. He's a tremendous southern style heel, but his height and look will never allow him to get past a certain level. That's too bad, because he's very, very good.

Dalton & Starks had a match in January for Inspire Pro, it's online and it's pretty damn good.

"The one really big black guy" sounds like Keith Lee. Huge m'fer. Great look. Getting better in the ring. Good upside.

Mike Dell is so versatile. Good babyface because Texas fans see him as a legend (more the Austin fans than San Antonio), and as you said he's a great heel. Solid worker. Good gatekeeper/legend type for ACW before he had to stop being booked for beating up a bouncer at the venue they run. Picked to be Inspire's first champ to establish the belt. Local guy that everybody respects a ton. Started in New Jersey with the PWS bro crew back in the 90's.

NWA BOW is a decent group, the promoter is Jax Dane, he books a lot of favors & former WWE developmental pals like Haas & Yum Yum (Byron Wilcott), but there is usually good young talent to balance it out.

Keith Lee is probably the big black guy. He may have legit hurt himself as he had to have 3 refs help him back from the ring and it didn't feel like they were telling that type of story.

Mike Dell and Rory Fox had a great match back in 2007 on the same show that had Hero vs.Masada MOTYC but i don't think the whole show made tape. I am curious what led to the incident with Dell at the Mohawk.

• 2 weeks later...

Chikara hasn't interested me much this year but I agree that they have a strong looking card for the finale. Lots of variety and high-stake matches that have been building all year. On paper at least, the card feels like a fun territorial super card with gimmick/high-stakes matches up and down the card. Also like you, I am a big fan of the Devastation Corporation. While they still have a ways to go, they have improved leaps and bounds over the past year or so. They've developed into a nice big man tag team, which is a rarity on the indies.

According the Observer, the first one in June did well and exceeded expectations. Going in, ROH considered 10,000 buys to be a definite success and would make for a profitable show. They reportedly surpassed those numbers. Dave also said that they got a good deal from the PPV companies which makes sense because they are looking for content with WWE killing their PPV business. They are only running a few per year and based off of the first show, there might be enough hardcore wrestling fans out there to make them profitable if they keep expenses down.

Sinclair Broadcasting runs ROH on a relatively small budget. It is free programming for them and in some markets ROH TV apparently does quite well at least relative to the alternatives. It is basically free programming for their TV stations. The promotion had a spike in attendance at the start of 2014, thanks in some part to A.J. Styles but even non-Styles shows generally showed a bit of an uptick. They did really well on the New Japan shows in May. With few exceptions, they seem to be doing 400+ at most shows which given the budget they run on is probably "good enough" to keep them going. I doubt that the promotion as a whole is making money, but given the free programming benefit they provide for Sinclair, that balances things out.

The TV show is actually okay (relatively speaking) in an NXT sort of way where it is a short, easy to watch, tight one hour wrestling program. The wrestling quality isn't very good in general, the talent feels stale, and the booking is so-so but the TV show is non-offensive. In 2014, that's good enough to classify as a good weekly TV wrestling show

I attend the ROH shows in Nashville . They draw a sellout every time. Granted a sellout is 1,000 fans , but it not papered . Tickets run from $ 40 to $ 25 bucks for TV taping , more for PPV .. . ROH draws 800 in San Antonio , 600 in Milwaukee , aroung 800 to 1000 in both Chicago & Canada . They ran in Wheeing , WVA and Lakeland , FL and drew good houses. The 400 fans per shows is really low , it is way off for the bigger markets. I read the the goal is draw 700 to 800 fans per event.

ROH is run on a low budget by Sinclair because that is how they a make a profit . The same footage must be used 3 to 5 times in different revenue streams . Live Shows . PPV/ IPPV , TV , House show DVDS and comp dvds bring multiple revenue streams .. They squeeze every last nickel out of every show. I sure Sinclair studied the WCW and TNA failures before they purchased ROH . They using the business model that generate the a profit for their shareholders .

People still consider ROH an indie. They are not by any stretch . They have free TV in 60 % of the USA , line PPV and ran 48 dates last year. The key is that ROH was purchased and vertically intergrated in SBS . They do not have to buy TV time and can never be cancelled . The long term goal is to roll ROH out to every non SBC market. They added Atalanta , New Orleans , Cleveland and DC in the last few months.In my book free broadcast TV will attract more viewers in the long run that having programming on premium Pay cable networks.

Some wrestling fans don't undertand that Sinclair Broadcasting is a a public traded company that is worth billions ,, The market cap on their stock is in excess of $ 3 billion dollars. To put that in perspective the WWE stock is worth around $ 800 million . ROH should be around as long as Sinclair wants to operate the company or they sell out for a profit..

Now that TNA has lost the Spike deal , stopped touring and face an uncertain live PPV future , I would say that ROH moved past TNA in 20014 . The smart marks and the dirt sheets missed the moment . However NJPW and Jeff Jarrett did not.

One thing ROH could do better is make people like Meltzer , Keller and Johnson more aware of their product , company and their long term goals. It appears a lot of people don't know the diffference between Silken and Sinclair.

I think RoH is in a gray area as far as being an indie. The financial entity they are owned by is huge with lots of cash. However, they spend very little on RoH and RoH continues to look like and be run like an indie.

That the plan , . They have a limited budget , so they can run in the black. They are slowly growing ROH . WCW and TNA wasted millions trying to compete withe the WWE . See PacMan Jones , Hulk, Sting , Uncle Eric , etc . Sinclair is slowly growing ROH , trying are not chasing the WWE . ROH is really not run like an indie . They tour , have talent on contracts , and full time employees.

They do need to improve TV production. They did break down a buy a lighting rig.

I don't think you can call any company that has TV , live PPV and runs almost 50 events an indie. Goes back to the brand perception issue . They need to change the image of company.

So I watched the OMEGA Loco in Joco 2 show. In short do NOT believe the hype. Do NOT waste time or money watching this show, it is a massive disappointment. As maligned as the unreleased Roanoke Rapids show was, this might be only slightly better because the talent was better and none of the matches were just blatant stalling. I'm pretty sure the crowd was not miked well on the DVD (which may have been an attempt to mute out copyrighted music) but it made the show come across as if nothing really got over with what appeared to be a sell-out crowd. So that made it much harder to get into.

1.Mikael Yamaha vs. Jake Manning
Manning is very good at what he did here. But what he did here was over-the-top stooging & selling which really stretched believability. A typical Southern opener but probably better than what they delivered in Roanoke Rapids.

2.Trevor Lee & Otto Schwanz vs. Country Jacked (Adam Page & Corey Hollis)
This had a few moments where I thought this might be worth something (namely when Otto wasn't in), but it really didn't amount to much. Lee & Page could have saved this but didn't.

3.Scotty Too Hotty vs. Mickey Gambino
Good God! If you are a promoter and have money to completely throw away with zero return, book Scotty 2 Hotty. I literally do not know why anyone would book him as anything other than an autograph guest. I've never seen someone so phone in performances as the last few times I've seen him.

4.PWI International Heavyweight Title Match: Hurricane Helms vs. Zane Dawson
This was really nothing all that special but in some ways this may have been one of the better matches on the show as they pretty much did the best they could & didn't disappoint.

5.Christopher Daniels vs. Caprice Coleman
This was like a hybrid of ROH style & Southern indy style. There were flurries of ROH style action interspersed with slowing the pace down. Nothing wrong with this or the performances here whatsoever, but they didn't deliver like they would in ROH or PWG or wherever. **1/4 range, best match on the show.

6.CW Anderson vs. Cedric Alexander
WOW! What a disappointment. 10 minute draw, worked largely like the match above, some sequences of really good stuff & some times of slowing things down. And with the horrible finish, I'm not really sure why they even bothered booking this. This was a cock tease of a match if there ever was one.

7.The Hardy Boyz vs. The Bravado Brothers
This was coming off the Hardys doing the triple shot TV tapings for TNA with all the gimmick matches so they were hurting. Nothing was bad here per se, just very by the numbers, half speed match. Nothing to get excited over. Even the Hardys didn't elicit much of a reaction from this crowd. This match ended with some shenanigans that led to an impromptu 8-man tag involving the guys from match #2. By this point I decided I was done with this show.

Not that I was really planning to watch 2015 wrestling anyway, but I'm done with OMEGA 2.0 after this show. It's pretty obvious now that the Cameron show was more an aberration than any indication that this promotion intends to do anything more than just deliver an adequate product. If anyone wants to take this disc off my hands for a few bucks let me know.