Pro Wrestling Only

Impact Cancelled

Dylan Waco

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the writing was on the wall for YEARS, it was just a question of when

If I didn't know better I'd think they'd still continue on with this ridiculous joke of a money pit promotion, but apparently Bob Carter was the sugar daddy for Dixie, and he's gotten old/out of the picture and her momma is sick of this nonsense

I kind of feel bad saying it, but good. Good. Fuck TNA. I feel bad because it is lost (shitty) jobs for people, it's a loss of what should have been a viable #2 promotion, on national cable tv, so that stuff sucks. But TNA, for most of it's existence, has been awful and imcompetent, and had turned into a complete joke in recent years.

It is kind of funny how they mirrored WCW at the end. I haven't been watching, but by following it and reading others accounts they've been putting on a much better show lately, focusing on younger talent. I tapped out on WCW for the most part at some point in 2000....but a lot of people say that it got good by the end but it was too little too late

Vince Russo? lol. A million FU's to that scumbag. A million. Fuck you Vince Russo x1,000,000,000

I hope Spike TV will continue with rasslin programing, but don't know who it would be. Can't be ROH. I don't know the deal with Jarrett/Global Force and that supposed non-compete, but they would seem to be the favorites, and I'm sure a lot of the TNA production crew and some of the talent would go with Jarrett

Jeff Hardy will be back in WWE in time most likely. Angle should retire. Samoa Joe will be back in ROH. Davey Richards has burned so many bridges and I really don't care where he goes. Bully Ray will probably team up with Dreamer and promote shows, WWE doesn't want him (but I'd be cool with him going back)

Reading all the news about this & replies on various wrestling forums, this is one of the most fun days I've ever had on the internet. I can't stop smiling! Just losing my shit. I'm legitimately happy about this news. I don't know if that's terrible or not but that's honestly how I feel. TNA is so far beneath WWE that I don't think it would happen, but if Steph or Triple H threw in a random, off hand throwaway comment tonight shitting on TNA that would be the grand finale to this knee-slapper of a day.

So is there an MKJ "mistaken" e-mail aspect to this? Saw a reference on fb, but haven't chased around the net looking for what it was about.

Russo was giving notes to people at TNA low key for a while, but accidentally copied MKJ on one of them a few weeks back, and that's how it got out publicly that Russo was working with them again. There are people that think you could slap some quotes onto "accidentally".

On the WON audio update from last night, Dave was confident that the Russo email thing was a factor in Spike's decision to not renew TNA's deal. He stated that Spike might not have renewed anyway, but that it certainly had a negative impact on the negotiations. He said those within TNA knew that if word got out that Russo was still working for them that it would have a negative impact on the TV talks with Spike, but presumably they thought that there was a slim chance of word getting out. Dave did not seem to know for sure whether it was just the fact that TNA lied to them about Russo that was the big sticking point or if it was just that they didn't want Russo around, but he was very clear that Russo still being on payroll played a significant role in Spike's decision.

As they discussed on the WON audio, the way the Russo thing got out (by Russo accidentally cc'ing Mike Johnson on an email to Mike Tenay & Taz) was such an unusual set of circumstances that it borders on unbelievable. Russo could have accidentally included somebody else on the email and it might not have mattered. It just so happened he copied a wrestling journalist who was going to run with the story. TNA has had an uncanny ability to stay afloat all of these years. It is somewhat fitting that such a bizarre and unforeseeable series of events would lead to their undoing.

Good lord... that's a hoot.

I'd also love to know what Russo has done over the years for Spike to hate him so much that they would care if he was a "consultant" with TNA. I get the lying part, which certainly would be a problem. But that Spike would want him 100% away from TNA on every level... that takes some pissing off to demand. :)

Does anyone have a copy of the e-mail so we can see the level of Russo involvement?

So last December, the Carter family was allegedly close to selling TNA to Toby Keith and Jeff Jarrett, only to bail at the last minute when Jarrett and Keith would not guarantee an on-air role for Dixie after the sale is complete. That here we are, eight months later, and the company is about to go out of business, when they could have cut their losses and sold out, but refused so that their daughter could spend another eight months play acting as a wrestling heel...well, that strikes me as particularly foolish, yet very TNA of them. TNA is truly the worst.

You need to look at the other side as very TNA:

Jeffey going out and finding another money mark to keep his own, personal TNA Dreams alive

It's a wonderful split in the road: the choice between Old School Jeffey Money Marks (The Carters) vs New School Jeffey Money Marks (Past His Prime Keith). Classic.

John

Question: is there no chance at all that they'll find another TV slot? I mean there's a lot of channels out there. Spike have dropped shows before that resurface elsewhere. Isn't it a bit premature to suggest that this is definitely the end of the line for them?

Also, for full disclosure, my own position on TNA is that I like to pretend they don't exist, so I have literally no view on them at all. Just genuinely wondering why another TV deal with another channel is not really being entertained in this thread.

Question: is there no chance at all that they'll find another TV slot? I mean there's a lot of channels out there. Spike have dropped shows before that resurface elsewhere. Isn't it a bit premature to suggest that this is definitely the end of the line for them?

Also, for full disclosure, my own position on TNA is that I like to pretend they don't exist, so I have literally no view on them at all. Just genuinely wondering why another TV deal with another channel is not really being entertained in this thread.

It is certainly possibly and TNA has staved off near certain death before so who knows. There are two reasons it is highly unlikely though:

(1) There is evidence that the market for wrestling programming right now is slim. WWE couldn't find takers for Saturday Morning Slam or Main Event after they were canceled by the CW and ION, respectively. As far as we know, Jarrett has had no luck securing a TV deal. WWE got lower than expected right fees for their TV package just a few months back. All of that points to a poor market for any promotion trying to get on TV.

(2) If there are TV networks out there that will entertain the idea of carrying wrestling, it seems unlikely that they would flock to a promotion that has shown almost no growth after eight years on Spike. TNA has demonstrated an inability to expand their viewership in any meaningful way. If I am a network executive and I am thinking about adding wrestling programming to my network, I am going to go with a promotion that at least has not yet failed rather than the one that has.

Its also worth noting that TNA's financial situation is such that they not only need a TV deal, they need a good one. Their relationship with Spike kept them alive for years. Maybe they could find a TV deal well below market value, but that wouldn't suffice given their current situation (according to Meltzer).

Guest Eduardo James

When WWE's C show Main Event got canned, they couldn't find anyone to pick it up. According to Meltzer, it cost about half as much as it would to run iMPACT. With what I'm assuming is comparable ratings and the fact that WWE is a much bigger name, if they wouldn't pick that up, why TNA?