Pro Wrestling Only

TNA's Highs and Lows

JaymeFuture

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago TNA did some funeral skit for Team 3D. At the time I thought it clicked on every level. Team Canada sat in one of the funeral chapel pews banging hockey sticks like they would during a pep talk from the coach at intermission time.

GdI were in TNA for the X Cup. Shocker and La Parka (the original one) wrestled for a nationally televised promotion in the last ten years. Shocker wasn't 2001 Shocker but the effort is appreciated. I think Tiger Mask IV had a run just before everyone says his talent fell off a cliff.

There was some point where it looked like Jarrett was turning babyface. He cut a really subdued promo that felt "real for wrestling". I came away from it thinking that I wanted to see more of Jarrett as a babyface. The Stroke is probably the worst finisher in wrestling over the last ten years. It always looked like the bump was taken on the knees first with no real forward momentum or the face first bump that the move is meant for.

The women's division usually looked a decade ahead of whatever WWE was doing with their female wrestlers at the time. Ayako Homada seemed to be getting over and that would probably never be allowed to happen in WWE. If you asked me back in 2000 if Ayako Hamada would work for a televised American promotion I would have called you delusional. The Beautiful People weren't very good in the ring but that gimmick was another thing WWE probably would never develope like they did. The angle went to hell with babyface turns and whatnot but it is TNA...They are so brave for evening trying.

I just saw the Harris/Storm Texas Death Match the other day for the first time. It was really really great. I'd say it is at least on par with the various streetfights with Jimmy Jacobs/Colt Cabana/BJ Whitmer/Homicide/etc. I watched it the same day that I saw Bryan/HHH and Brock/Cena and I probably enjoyed the TNA match the most.

Samoa Joe was awesome. He was better in ROH...but TNA Joe was still awesome...for awhile. What the heck was that face tattoo supposed to be? What's with wrestlers having phallic looking tattoos? Okay - Joe's wasn't a real tattoo but I remember it happening a couple of other times over the last fifteen years. I think Scott Steiner's and Brock Lesnar's are permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

The high point was the series of matches between Aj Styles and Christopher Daniels in 2005 . Which led to the 3 way at Unbreakable that continue the Samoa Joe push .Samoa Joe. Also the 2 cage matches between AMW and Triple X were great. The AJ - Low Ki - Jerry Lynn feud was good. Also TNA gave talent wrestlers like Styles , Daniels , Chris Sabin , Samoa Joe , Low Ki , Homicide , Jay Lethal and Alex Shelly a national platform to showcase their talent . All positive.

The bad was the insanity of Vince Russo . Also over the hill Jeff Jarrett forcing himself on the audience as the champion. HIs gutiar gimmick was insulting to the fans. Double J is and remains out of touch with today's wrestling fan .Also every WWE outcast looking for a easy pay check and offering nothing in return . Booker T . Rob Van Dam , Jeff Hardy , Hogan , Uncle Eric , Kevin Nash , Scott Hall , the Nasty Boys , Matt Hardy , Shannon Moore and their like were are parasites .

The lowest point is when TNA pull their talent fron ROH . Hardcore fans were cheated out of seeing their favorites in classic matches and the talent lost bookings. . The worse case was the CM Punk / Christopher Daniels feud that was never finished . If my memory serves me correct TNA also started charging booking fees for their talent to indy promotions. This was reason TNA talent lost dates with PWG and other indies. Also TNA made their talent sign contracts with no downside guarantee . They starved Jay Lethal and the Young Bucks. TNA had really shady business practices.

More bad than good when it comes to TNA .

Are ex WWE guys who are recruited and sought out by TNA manangent really "parasites"? If you hire someone it's not their fault that they're there.

As Clay Davis says, "I'll take any motherfucker's money if he's giving it away" You can't blame a guy for taking a paycheck

Guest Eduardo James

No one is blaming them for taking a paycheck, but considering guys like Booker clearly didn't give a shit while they were there, criticism is definitely applicable. TNA is stupid for hiring/keeping them employed and possibly enabling some of them (i.e. letting a bored Nash take over the X-division), but a lot made up their minds to do as little as possible before they even got there.

I think there were times when Booker legitimately seemed to be having fun. Yes, he phoned in some stuff. But I thought the feud with Roode was fine for what it was (a vehicle to elevate Bobby, as much as they were ever going to around that time anyhow) - and, as lame as the faked "accent" was, it still made for entertaining heel shtick. Booker played the over-the-top, cheesy pro wrestling heel just fine. It felt dated, for sure. And no way was he the best opponent for launching a fresh Joe title reign, but he did okay in spurts.

I liked the temporary team with Scotty Steiner, the guest commentary, and a few other bits from Booker around that time as well. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't care. It wasn't King Booker, but it wasn't any worse than some of the stuff he had to endure with WWE either.