Pro Wrestling Only

rebooking Summerslam 96

dgrblue

I don't think Vader should have won. Michaels was fine as the champion at that point. The problem was how Vader was booked throughout the match and just how convoluted and annoying the match was. Two restarts, a bunch of chaos, Vader looked like a gigantic moron for getting himself DQ'd, etc.

i think what was worse than vader losing that match was how he kept falling on the totem pole from there. you're telling me a properly booked vader would have made the WM13 main event any more of a shitshow than sid did??? well, i guess this depends on the kuwait thing...

also, speaking of the booking on this show, mero totally should have won with the shooting star press. first time almost anyone in that crowd had seen it, i'm sure! dunno why but that one still bugs me, haha

I don't think the time was right to end Shawn's run. SS 96 would have been a HUGE downer with all the heels going over right and left (Did Owen REALLY need that win over Savio? Goldust over Mero there still baffles me). Ending that with Vader winning the title would have been one heck of a downer.

I would have had Shawn win on a banana peel and get his head handed to him afterwards and put Vader over at Survivor Series.

• 3 months later...

I don't think that Vader should have gone over. Shawn needed a long run or at least a shot at one, since they invested so much in him. I think if they had HBK-Vader, HBK should have looked stronger. The issue was that Shawn won, but looked extremely weak in the process.

Not sure who, but maybe Shawn should have had a different challenger, perhaps SCSA fresh off his KOTR win. Then you have Vader pick up another big win at Summer Slam over Sid and set up a huge match at Survivor Series for HBK-Vader.

Don't think Austin would be hurt either, since that the match against Shawn would have been great and made Austin a star, in similar fashion to his match against Bret.

• 2 weeks later...

Shawn shouldnt have lost here, but Vader should have been booked better and treated more like a monster...with Shawn winning almost by luck..

Vader stays strong and booked well in Sept / Oct. staying in title contention...Sid wins in Oct, then wins at Survivor Series (how could you NOT have that match and crowd that night?), followed by Vader getting his shot in Dec 1996, and winning...I know its flipping the belt a few times over 2 months, but no different than what they did in early 97....