Shinya Hashimoto

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18961 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

Damn 10 years. It doesn't feel like that long. 

#22 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

The first G1 Climax 91 match with Chono is a must see too.

Seriously, I can't get over how good this match is. Last time I watched them all I liked this more than the Vader/Muto and Muto/Chono matches from the G1.

#23 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1660 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

Ok, so even on offense, this guy draws so much sympathy. Probably one of the greatest sympathetic wrestlers of all time. There's something about the way he takes offense from guys then just hits the point where he's like "fuck this" and just destroys dudes. Creeping into my top 15.

#24 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

Definite top 20 contender. Can't see him lower than 30. I have him above Liger, Kawada, and Kobashi.

#25 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

Shinya Hashimoto vs. Masahiro Chono (8/11/91)

This was pretty good, though it was only really exciting whenever Hashimoto threatened to knock Chono out and again during the red hot finishing stretch, but if a match finishes better than it started it's trending in the right direction I guess. Hashimoto's scruffy ronin look was interesting, though at times he looked more like an avant-garde artist or 70s musician than Toshiro Mifune. I don't think he'd come into his own yet in terms of presence and command over a bout. His kicks were fantastic and had a lot of force to them, but he wasn't really the Man yet. Chono's breathing noise made his control segments hard to sit through and my attention was only perked by Hashimoto kicking the shit out of him, but New Japan matwork is like that a lot of the time. Things clicked into gear for the finishing stretch and I liked both of the counters into the STF, which frankly made Cena's transitions into the hold seem even worse. But boy there wasn't much to Chono even pre-injury. A couple of clever transitions, a finisher that was over, and a bunch of mediocre crap. It was a bit hard watching the better worker take less of the match, and I would have liked to have seen a longer control segment from Hashimoto since the high point of the match was Chono's selling of the near knockout before the counter where he clipped the back of Hashimoto's leg. But I guess they had to make Chono look stronger and Hashimoto more opportunistic because of who was going over. Better viewed as part of Hashimoto's rise than an early great match, imo, but I'm glad I watched it as it helps fill in the blanks on a guy who doesn't have a well worn recommended matches list. 

#26 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

Shinya Hashimoto vs. Masahiro Chono (8/11/91)

Better viewed as part of Hashimoto's rise than an early great match, imo, but I'm glad I watched it as it helps fill in the blanks on a guy who doesn't have a well worn recommended matches list. 

Probably better viewed in the context of the G1 that year, especially since they had another match in it that folks liked better:

http://prowrestlingo...1-climax-080991

http://prowrestlingo...1-climax-081191

#27 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:10 AM

Aside from Hashimoto/Nagata vs Misawa/Akiyama 01, Hashimoto vs Kawada 04, and the 4 way with Corino/Dylan Knight/Gary Steele, what are the best Hashimoto matches post 2000?

I was also wondering if OJ ever ended up watching the draw with Chono from the 91 G1?

#28 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5969 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:39 AM

I couldn't find it. 

#29 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1923 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

Aside from Hashimoto/Nagata vs Misawa/Akiyama 01, Hashimoto vs Kawada 04, and the 4 way with Corino/Dylan Knight/Gary Steele, what are the best Hashimoto matches post 2000?

Hashimoto vs Kojima for the Triple Crown in 2004 is an amazing match, significantly better than their 1998 G1 match imo. Also greatly enjyoed his Triple Crown matches vs Muta and Arashi and LOVED his ZERO-1 matches vs. Masato Tanaka and Otsuka. Hashimoto/Otsuka vs Misawa/Ogawa rules as well. And there's a great Choshu singles match from a Dome show in 2001. Also recommend a singles match vs. Steve Corino from 2001.

#30 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1446 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hashimoto absolutely destroying Masato Tanaka in 2002 is one of my favorite Hash matches ever. Might be the best brainbuster he ever did, too.

I watched the Chosyu main from the '97 Dome Show and realized Hash made that match by basically beating the shit out of the old man. Chosyu picked his spots but I thought Hash beating the shit out of him made it at least enjoyable. Not a great match, but one of Hash's strengths was making something that could be mediocre into something that at least had something to it, which he almost did by osmosis anyways by being Hash. Can't remember if Riki was the booker at the time, but if he was, he sure took one hell of an ass whooping.

#31 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5969 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hashimoto vs. Tanaka was fun. Not sure I'd include it in his greatest hits parade, but if you want to see him deliver a full on ass kicking it's worth watching. 

#32 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

I was wondering if anyone was considering Hashimoto at #1? He feels like the guy I will rate highest that I don't view as a #1 candidate.

#33 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1923 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:03 AM

I was wondering if anyone was considering Hashimoto at #1? He feels like the guy I will rate highest that I don't view as a #1 candidate.

He's firmly entrenched as my #1.

#34 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3504 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:29 AM

Some one put up Shinya Hashimoto v. Dylan Knight v. Steve Corino v. Gary Steele in an iron man match from Pennsylvania. Probably my favorite live match ever. Master class by Hashimoto, still have the signed bandana I caught

#35 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1358 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

That match is really amazing because it showcases a great wrestler translating into a seedy environment. The guy who produced epics in the Tokyo Dome is still great even when matched up with sub-par talent and doing spots with valets. Still has the same aura and presence that commands respect. I think there's also a US match of his vs. Corino online that showcases this.

#36 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

That match is really amazing because it showcases a great wrestler translating into a seedy environment. The guy who produced epics in the Tokyo Dome is still great even when matched up with sub-par talent and doing spots with valets. Still has the same aura and presence that commands respect. I think there's also a US match of his vs. Corino online that showcases this.

#37 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2481 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hash is trending upwards for me at the moment.

He's actually a guy who I've been up and down with. There have been times where I've wanted to like him more than I actually did. He appealed to me a lot on spec, I liked his shape and his look and his face, and liked when he would beat the shit out of people, but oftentimes I wasn't getting what I wanted out of his matches. I was bored during the parts that weren't kicks to the face.

I guess I'm finally watching the right matches, because I am enjoying the matches a lot more, and thus am able to piece together all of the other things that he brings.

My favourite thing about him is just how dangerous he comes off as. It's something you have to watch him wrestle to get because on sight his Fat Elvis look can be a little goofy, but once you see him in the ring you can see how badass he is, and just how powerful and dangerous to another human being he really is. Like I said about the Hash/Hase match, it's scary how easily it looks like he could kill someone, once he really starts moving.

That sense of danger adds to basically all of his matches, because even when he's selling or being attacked, you never lose that sense that at any moment, he could turn around and kill this man. No matter how much he sells, he never loses any of his credibility as a monster. It allows him to be as giving as he likes in a match, which in turn creates the high drama that comes from making people think that David has a chance to beat Goliath.

He has moved up into my top half now, whereas he was sitting just outside it before.

#38 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11352 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

For me I think he will safely rank in the top 100, but I don't really see him in contention for the top third from what I've seen so far. He will be somewhere in the middle probably in the 40-60 range, where he'll be among some exalted company.

I think Hase will finish higher simply because, knowing how my system works, I think they will be really comparible in terms of most of the ratings (for variety, ability to work different roles, etc.) but Hase is a more complete worker insomuch as I see him as a straight 3/3 offense 3/3 selling 3/3 psychology = 9 on the base stats whereas Hash seems more limited to me in what he can do and wouldn't be a 3/3 for selling or psychology based on the footage I've watched so far, but he would get a +1 for "hardest kick ever". So if Hase gets 9/10 in that category, Hase will get 7/10. And if it comes down to a tie, that is the rating that breaks them.

I will say that Hash has grown on me though.

#39 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5969 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:56 AM

I get the Fat Elvis stuff, but if there was one guy who looked like a modern day samurai it was Hashimoto. He could have slot right into
an NHK costume drama. If you ask me the sole reason he rose to the heights he did was because of his bushido. I can't think of a single Japanese star who had the same aura. Plenty of them were tough, plenty of them were stoic, and plenty of them commanded respect, but none of them had the same fire. Plus his theme music was really, really cool.

#40 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44066 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

I love Hashimoto, but I also see him as someone missing the GOAT match candidates that I think a guy needs in order to justify a top ten spot. Lots of really great matches. Really, really great. Lots of them. I can't think of any I'd hold up to just about any match ever. I'm not sure he's ever hit ****3/4-***** for me. I think I went that high on the Muto final at the '95 G-1 but have since watched and reconsidered that one. That's not enough to hurt him much at all, but it makes him more of a late teens-early 20s pick for me at best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users