Pro Wrestling Only

Scott Steiner

Grimmas

Nope, and I can't really see a case for him making the list. Too much of his career was spent throwing, and too often botching, suplexes and being downright reckless in the ring to varying results. Then there's old Steiner who could connect with the crowd but often times stumbled around the ring due to a total lack of mobility.

• 1 year later...

How can he be a favorite to watch and not be one of the Top 100's of all time? Scott is a top 20 favorite for me for sure, and I am going to rank him high.

First off, you have the 9 years as 1/2 of the Steiner Brothers. And they kicked ass and had some of the best tag matches of the 90's.

vs. Sullivan & Rotundo - Bash 1989

vs. Doom - Halloween Havoc 1989

vs. Nasty Boys - Halloween Havoc 1990(one of the best!)

War games 1991

vs. Hase & Sasaki - NJPW (Dave's MOTY, I disagree but it's awesome)

vs. Sting & Lex Luger - SB91 (***** spot fest or not! 4 most popular guys in WCW killing eachother)

vs. Izuka & Fujinami - WrestleWar 92 (brutal)

vs. Sting & Great Muta - NJPW 1992

vs. the Hart Brothers - WWE 1994 (i love this match so much, one of their best)

Now I realize that all this should go in the tag team nomination, but in all these Scott is THE guy to watch. He's so amazing for the early 90s. Yeah with these older eyes I see the problem with him not selling a damn thing but that wasn't their gimmick.

Ok the you have the reason I rank him highly: Big Poppa Pump. In 1998 he was figuring out who he was but by 1999 he starts to GET it. There's a match with Jericho from Spring Breakout 1999 where he looks like he should just run over everyone and be World Champion(he should have been in 99). He can't do all the crazy shit he did in the early 1990's but he still is amazing.

He has the cred of being an All American college wrestler at Michigan, a true D1 powerhouse. Then you have one of the most impressive and unique physiques in the history of wrestling, along with the biggest arms. And then he is truly a crazy mofo that is unpredictable and you never know when he's going to go off. By 2000 he has this all down(along with the King Arthur chainmail) and you have a superstar. He was one of the few great things WCW had in the end days that WWE just didn't have. He had a damn good match with Sting @ Stampede 2000 and Hugh Morrus @ Slamboree 2000, both for the US title. Then vs. Mike Awesome @ Bash at the Beach 2000 you get a crazy good power match.(along with Scott giving him a freakin half-Nelson suplex after the match!)

I think if 2000 Steiner had been in WWF you would have seen some truly awesome matches. But move along to mid 2000 and Steiner/Goldberg have some sick matches on Nitro and then @ Fall Brawl 2000 they have one of the best power matches of all time and Steiner looks so dominant choking out Goldbeart in th Recliner to win. His biggest win of his career. And then him and Booker have a damn good HIAC match @ the Mayhem 2000 PPV and finally Scott is World Champion.

And I think Scott as WHC for the last 6 months of WCW was one of the highlights. He has a fun match with Rey in November and just destroys everything in his path, the blueprint for Brock Lesnar. And at Starrcade 2000 Steiner/Sid is one of my guilty pleasure favorites of all time. The next PPV is a debacle with Sid breaking his leg and the mystery 4th guy in the fourway dance being Animal, but that's not his fault.

Steiner with Midajah m, the Big Gold Belt, the chainmail, th lights flashing and his siren theme song is MONEY, and it's just too bad that his leg starts to go dead. At Superbrawl Scott gets the best match out of Nash that you will see in WCW. Seriously. It's a career match and the announcers start talking about all that Nash has "meant to WCW" which is a talking point I had NEVER heard, but it's true. And then Steiner has a good brawl with DDP at Greed. And then Booker comes back, beats Scott in a 6 man tag, almost beats him in a great match on Thunder and then on the final Nitro wins the WCW title from Steiner in a damn good bout.

But that was the end of Big Poppa Pump as we knew him. You can tell in the last few months that Steiners legs are getting smaller and he did have an awful "drop foot" issue that screwed up his legs. But either way he was great from 1999-2001 and there's no way there is 100 guys that had careers better than him.

Next post I wanna talk about Scott after the Final Nitro because I think there is some quality stuff.

• 4 months later...

I'm about ****1/2 on most of those matches RVD listed, if not all of them.

Would also add:

vs. Doom (2/6/90) [Clash 10]

vs. Doom (5/19/90) [Capital Combat]

I actually think Doom were better in 90 than they were in 89. I'm 4.5 on those too.

Scott finished a tiny bit above Rick on my list for his singles run which amounted to a single BIGLAV point.

I would also say that Scott had some pretty state-of-the-art offense for 1989-94, which for me hasn't lost its impact because he hit that stuff with a mixture of wrecklessness and force that I don't see in later stuff.

I kinda WISH the Steiners had been AJ guys and not NJ guys.

I mean, can you IMAGINE the matches these guys could have had vs. Four Pillars or Williams / Ace in head-drop city?

It would have been mental. I don't care who makes fun, I'm happy to say I'm still a Steiners mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching some Steiners matches from 1989 and I have to imagine that watching him at the time he would have felt like a guy who would become one of the top stars of the 90s. It didn't really turn out that way but in 1989 he manages to combine power and athleticism in a way I'm not sure I can really compare to anyone else. I'm also not sure how he didn't break his neck doing that crazy ass back flip bodyslam thing he would do.

He feels like a guy who should have become a much bigger breakout star and way earlier than like 1998 when it finally happened.

• 7 years later...

Remember when he got a #1 vote last time? I will always have a bit of a soft spot for the Steiner Brothers and Scott is one of the all time athletic bomb throwing freaks. Not really someone I'm considering but I wouldn't mind watching some of his singles work if people have recommendations. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 11:10 PM, Microstatistics said:

Also, he is the only person for whom I considering breaking my "who cares about talking?" rule. His promo work in TNA is pure comedy gold. 

"I've been to Parts Unknown, where Abyss is from and I found his girlfriend and trust me I went to the ugly part of Parts Unknown" Is an all time great sentence

Everytime I think about Scott Steiner two things come to mind: The numbers don't lie and his 1st place vote in 2016. His tag team work with Rick was very good but I won't consider him for top 100 wrestler ever. I'll consider the Steiner brothers for my top 25 tag teams though.