Pro Wrestling Only

Kurt Angle

Grimmas

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'd like to know is who do people wish Angle wrestled like? Do people wish he was more like Jack Brisco or Bret Hart? Do they want him to be like Nick Bockwinkel? Buddy Rose? Billy Robinson? It's confusing. Some people like him as the goofy, three Is guy. Some people like him as a wrestling machine. Do folks want him to be Bryan Danielson? Ric Flair? 

I don't get it. The guy by all rights should have been a bust, but he became a star. It's always like this with the polarizing types whether it's Shawn Michaels, Manami Toyota, Keiji Mutoh or Hiroshi Tanahashi. They don't do this, they don't work like this wrestler, they're not as good as this person... At some point you need to accept them for who they are. 

During this burst of Angle discourse, it hit me that I've hardly watched him in the last 10 years. Even during the last GWE, he wasn't someone I looked at with any focus. Might take a spin through a few matches just to see what I think of him now. I guess the greater point is that it's easy to become frozen in positions from decades-old debates. 

• 1 month later...

Angle has really had an uptick legacy-wise in recent years, i think in part because of TNA nostalgia emerging as a non-ironic thing (remember, they were big in the UK back in the day and i think that's where a lot of it comes from) and in part due to the specific popular legend that has formed around Perc Angle.  There's also him becoming a massive TikTok meme that i still see posted all over the place (the "jacked bald guy intently staring into your soul" image).

Not stuff that would matter for this board's main demographic, but if this were a Youtube project that drew in a lot more late millenials & zoomers he would likely rate pretty darn high overall now!

On 3/18/2024 at 12:46 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

What I'd like to know is who do people wish Angle wrestled like? Do people wish he was more like Jack Brisco or Bret Hart? Do they want him to be like Nick Bockwinkel? Buddy Rose? Billy Robinson? It's confusing. Some people like him as the goofy, three Is guy. Some people like him as a wrestling machine. Do folks want him to be Bryan Danielson? Ric Flair?

I'd really like it if he wrestled the way he did against Rey Mysterio all the time. Angle's true disposition is he's a super-intense bully and bringing that aspect of his personality to the forefront created much better flowing matches than when he got obsessed with trading finishers/pretty reversals for the sake of it with Benoit etc... Or that brief 2006 WWECW run was also a much more optimal version of Angle than his default mode. The more frustrating thing about him really is he does show potential to have been a real top tier wrestler, in some ways I think he did actually get it, but there's just this aggravating bit of brainworms going on that stops him ever reaching his potential except in some specific circumstances.

He's a very high-level prop wrestler, by which I mean wrestlers who have a certain set of talents/abilities but needed to be used in the correct way to really get high-level stuff out of them. There's certainly room for in wrestling, might even make towards the bottom of my list if I'm feeling generous towards them in 2026. The Summerslam 2001 match vs. Austin I think is a great example of Kurt being in that kind of role. Austin is the main driver of the match narrative and his performance is the best thing about it, but calling it a "carry job" or something like that would be grossly unfair. Angle's talents elevate the whole thing to higher level that the vast majority of wrestlers are capable of. For all the criticisms of his selling, he has a great selling performance in this match, and that's not his only great selling performance, his flaw is more than he doesn't seem to have a good sense of when he should be selling, so left to his own devices we often get total messes like those TNA Jeff Hardy matches.