Pro Wrestling Only

Ron Starr

Grimmas

Thanks Khawk.

I've been fortunate to have picked up a little more footage on Ron since we last communicated. It's helped to fill in the gaps of where he was at and the feuds he was working and given me more questions to ask him.

The things that have been consistent are that he always drew heat and knew how to help get a match and an angle over.

• 2 months later...

I would be interested to hear Ron Starr's thoughts about showing up in the Continental Wrestling Federation in 1989 right as it's closing down. He has this match with Cactus Jack that as far as I know is the last match of the last episode of CWF. He had kind of an interesting 1989 in general as he pops up on some Stampede TV listings but only for 2 weeks in May.

https://youtu.be/5eSQtYjQLPY

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been watching a lot of Ron Starr over the past 2 days and he's a really solid worker. I've seen him be the glue in matches with some pretty sub-par talents in Grand Prix and when he's matched up against anyone good like Invader, Fujinami or Leo Burke then you're going to be in for a really good match. I haven't really seen enough to where I could call one of the 100 GWE but he's really very good.

I think if you're a fan of a guy like Ron Garvin who isn't flashy but always works hard and makes everything look snug then Ron Starr is a guy you should check out.

• 1 year later...

We're looking for Ron's autobiography "Bad to the Bone: 25 Years of Riots and Wrestling" to be released around the middle of December. He will discuss many of the territoires he worked (often more than once) across North America plus tours of Japan, China, South Africa and Guatemala and his runs in Puerto Rico.

• 2 months later...

Ron's autobiography, "Bad to the Bone: 25 Years of Riots and Wrestling" was just released two days ago. Info on the book, including purchasing info, is available at this link: http://badtothebonerottenronstarr.blogspot.com/2016/12/bad-to-bone-25-years-of-riots-and_8.html

There are also autographed photos or Ron and a dvd compilation available at the site.

• 5 years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5LKear9iLs

That's one I really like. Honestly I thought Starr was one of the real revelations on a set full of revelations. I found he consistently delivered whenever he popped up on the PR set. The Invader 1 match is the masterpiece, but I think Starr always looks sharp. Check him out in Portland & NJPW as well.  I think a Ron Starr deep dive would prove really worthwhile. He's an excellent wrestler.