Pro Wrestling Only

The Road Warriors

Grimmas

Road Warrior Hawk is one of my least favourite workers because he's ridiculously selfish and I get the impression that the selfishness isn't simply "because it's part of the act" but it's because somewhere in his mind 1) he doesn't understand that it's okay for the babyface to sell sometimes and 2) he legitimately believes the Road Warriors to be the best act on the planet and therefore they should, by rights, sell for no one.

It's Bruiser Brody syndrome. It's at its most egregious in the Flair match from 1987 and after about 1990 when the Road Warriors are clearly past their peak as a big act but Hawk can't or won't accept it. He's still working like that well into the mid-90s. I honestly hate the guy.

Animal was just there. I remember thinking as a kid that he was the asskicker of the team and especially in WWF would be on the end of the hot tag. But looking back it's clear that everything is built around Arch Dickhead Hawk.

Come it think of it, Hawk is challenging Chief Jay Strongbow as my least favourite wrestler ever. There might be worse, but in terms of who I dislike the most Hawk is right there.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't it Lawler's idea for Hawk to no-sell the piledriver?

So, it must be the greatest thing ever (like the borderline racist Kamala gimmick).

Snarky comments aside, yeah, Hawk selling the piledriver was annoying. But it's part of the act like Johnny said. You can't piledrive Hawk. Okay. You have to take it or leave it. It's a spot to pop the crowd. it's like Flair's figure four always getting reversed. It makes no sense. But it pops the crowds. But it doesn't come from nowhere and it's not Hawk shitting on his opponents offense. Hawk usually was the one transitionning to selling, often by hitting the post and taking the uge bump outside. Hawk sold. DId he sold like Ricky Morton ? Of course not, because it would have been ridiculous. But he sold.

• 3 months later...

The Road Warriors don't get the credit that they deserve, I really don't buy the whole "they never sold for anyone" story. I haven't seen a lot of them from later in the 80s but the stuff from the AWA set and the Montreal matches I've seen have surprised my by just how much they give their opponents. They weren't doing Bruiser Brody type no selling at all when they're selling for much smaller guys like Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell, Jacques & Armand Rougeau. They also relied quite a bit on Paul Ellering interference and cheating which is another point against the argument that they just "gobbled guys up."

No, they were not working like the Rock N Roll Express, The Midnights, The Fantastics or The Nightmares~! but two big guys like Hawk and Animal were never going to be able to work that style anyway. And it wouldn't have worked for The Road Warriors.

• 2 months later...

Hawk no selling piledrivers wasn't some selfish "I won't sell" deal. It was part of his act, based around his ridiculously huge neck muscles. The ones he'd flex and pop off studded leather collars.

Parvs just biased because of his childhood love of Money Inc.

Damn... I used to love Money Inc. too... Do I have to dislike Hawk as well then??? :-) ... No! Fuck it! I'll take a page out of the Johnny Sorrow playbook and spread som love! I'm into both LOD and Inc. I think Money Inc.'s a bit underrated as detestable heels, and The Road Warriors are complete guilty pleasure. Watching Jean-Claude Van Damme recklessly injure stuntmen can be fun passtime when hungover as well...

• 2 months later...

I am going to have to give these guys a hard look. I have seen quite a few Road Warriors matches that I like but they were from AWA & Montreal which isn't where I think most people are getting this "they sucked and just gobbled their opponents up" argument from.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's worth getting worked up about either, but I think the key difference is that I can't think of a territory where the headbutt was the most protected move.

Anyway, JvK's take on the Hawk is interesting, because Dusty and Crockett always saw him as the guy with the greatest singles potential of the two, in large part because Animal had a problem doing jobs.

• 3 months later...

I go for different things than most of you do, so there's no way for me that the biggest drawing long term tag team in the years we are talking about (1970 or so on) doesn't make a list. As workers...........I think they are pretty good for what they are. They def don't sell like Ricky Morton nor should they. They usually sell about as much as I think makes sense in the context of the match they are having. They actually seemed to get better at this in the 90's as Vince didn't have them run roughshod over the division (Orient Express aside) as had been done.

And yeah if you look at their early heel stuff they almost always needed help to win. They weren't even as dominant bell to bell as Vader in the US at times.

They're on my list and not in the bottom 5.