Pro Wrestling Only

Akira Tozawa

Grimmas

I was just raving about this guy over on the VOW board. Super charismatic, and gets over instantly anywhere he goes. A great worker, very diverse. Can do comedy, can be an asshole "I want to smack this motherfucker" heel, great underdog babyface, and can be the superhero.

Great bump & sell guy, which stands out in Dragon Gate for obvious reasons. Very good facials, which is why he connects with crowds so well. It seems like Dragon Gate, which isn't afraid to pass the title around, is saving his title win for something special. He's still young and is a guy who probably has most of his best stuff ahead of him.

Don't forget his U.S. excursion stuff from around '09, and his DGUSA run where he was the best & most over guy in the company.

Since I am determined to watch a sample of everybody nominated, what should I watch?

If you don't mind illegally downloading stuff I'd recommend his match with Chris Hero from Battle of Los Angeles 2010 and if you wanna watch something already on YouTube: Akira Tozawa and BxB Hulk vs Naruki Doi and Ricochet from Kobe Festival 2013

Since I am determined to watch a sample of everybody nominated, what should I watch?

If you don't mind illegally downloading stuff I'd recommend his match with Chris Hero from Battle of Los Angeles 2010 and if you wanna watch something already on YouTube: Akira Tozawa and BxB Hulk vs Naruki Doi and Ricochet from Kobe Festival 2013

People here will hate that tag, even though I think its an all time great tag match. Total spot fest, but probably the best total spot fest in recent memory.

In ranking wrestlers, I'm more interested in common comparisons. How do dry, technical wrestlers like Zack Sabre Jr., Shoichi Funaki, and Dean Malenko rate against each other? That gives some perspective and some more information.

With someone like Tozawa, how does he fair against comparable guys like Ikuto Hidaka or Minoru Fujita? Tozawa, for what I've see from him in PWG, has some charisma and a fast, work rate move set. Maybe Taka is even a good comp as well.

Taka has a fairly good shot at making my list. From 96-97, he would have been the most charismatic heel in Japan, except that Dick Togo was in the same promotion and stable. Taka's flying was not only state of the art in 1996, but people aren't regularly hitting his springboard moves in 2014, none the less hit them with the height, accuracy, and style that Taka was able to. One a very basic level, Taka was fantastic in multi-person matches, excellent in regular tag team matches, and above average to great in singles from 1994-1999.

Are there any Tozawa matches that I need to see that compare to Taka's best stuff?

Nothing wrong with a hot fast paced spot fest now & then. There is as much skill, creativity, & art involved at working that kind of pace and coming up with spot after spot to top none another as there is to any other sort of match. Not to mention the athletic & cardio requirements needed to pull it off successfully.

Tozawa is the kind of guy who is elite in that type of environment, and also excels in other types of matches as well. That's why he's a contender for something like this at such an early stage of his career.

Nothing wrong with a hot fast paced spot fest now & then. There is as much skill, creativity, & art involved at working that kind of pace and coming up with spot after spot to top none another as there is to any other sort of match. Not to mention the athletic & cardio requirements needed to pull it off successfully.

This we are in agreement on. I feel people write off spotfests way too easily. I don't want to live on a diet of them and they can be outright terrible, but when done well they can be great MOTYC matches.

All I know about this guy is that I voted against him in DVDVR's March Madness tournament a few years ago without watching a single one of his matches. I have lucharesu filed in the "DO NOT WATCH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" compartment of my brain.

I certainly don't think I'd class what Akira Tozawa does as lucharesu. His generation (w/Takagi, Hulk, Kong and YAMATO) weren't trained in Mexico and have a much different style to those that came before him (CIMA & Co) and after him (Millennials). So I would say you're missing out personally.

First match I'd recommend is this absolute gem from the most recent Korakuen Hall show. It's the last match of a three match series, so you can skip the two matches which comes before it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27myhk_bxb-hulk-masaaki-mochizuki-dragon-kid-vs-masato-yoshino-akira-tozawa-shingo-takagi-dragon-gate_sport

The story is simple. Mochizuki has beat the shit out of Tozawa from his first day in a wrestling ring and now as Tozawa is on the verge of a title match, he must go through his tormenter. His charisma and underdog skills shine through.

• 8 months later...

Apologize for some thread bumping, but there are a few guys I want to discuss.

Tozawa is a sure fire lock for my list and if he continues wrestling the way he is, he has a shot at being my wrestler of the decade. His young boy stuff was nothing special, nor was his early in-ring career. Once he got some confidence in PWG and DGUSA, he became something else. In PWG he was great at working from the bottom as a fiery babyface. Worked great with Hero, Steen, and Generico. Had a somewhat disappointing match with Low Ki, but that was more because Ki didn't want to do anything.

Came back to Japan in the summer of 2011 as a completely different worker. Worked as a cocky, dickhead heel and was so, so great. Obviously character work isn't considered for this project but I'd like to add that he was probably the best heel in wrestling from 2011-2013. BxB Hulk can get on my nerves but he and Tozawa had a great tag run during that time period also.

Now working as a super babyface in Dragon Gate. His finish, which is a straight-jacket German Suplex, has become one of my favorite things in wrestling at the moment. There's such a struggle to get his opponents arms locked and when he finally does, the crowd goes crazy. He's a charisma machine and is nearly as over as Gedo in Korakuen Hall. I'm convinced no one is more over in a certain building than Gedo is there, also. Tozawa is very, very close. Tozawa will become the eventual ace of Dragon Gate and it will be one hell of a journey. For those that don't care for the Dragon Gate style, Tozawa is the one guy I would really look at having on your list. Between the three chapters of his career, there's something there for everyone.

-vs. Chris Hero: PWG 9/5/10

-vs. Kevin Steen: PWG 12/11/10

-vs. Masaaki Mochizuki: 10/13/11

-w/ BxB Hulk vs. Jimmy Susumu & Jimmy Kagetora: 3/4/12

-w/ BxB Hulk vs. Naruki Doi & Ricochet: 7/21/13

-vs. T-Hawk: 5/9/14

-vs. Masaaki Mochizuki: The one Alan posted above

vs. Kzy: 2/28/15

-vs. Shingo Takagi: 5/8/15

I've watched a fair amount of Tozawa recently, and if anything I'd say he's in line for being one of the most disappointing wrestlers I've ever seen. He's immensely talented, one of the most talented wrestlers I've ever seen. But he very rarely puts all that talent together into a great performance. A lot of that comes from him so willingly buying into the Dragon Gate match structure; a structure that does his skills a great disservice. I mean, every Tozawa DG match ends up being pretty much the same; someone picks a body area and works it over a bunch, there's a lot of selling, then the home stretch hits and all the body work is forgotten in favor of flashy offense. Tozawa is capable of much more than that, but he is all too willing to sink to that level all the time.

I've watched a fair amount of Tozawa recently, and if anything I'd say he's in line for being one of the most disappointing wrestlers I've ever seen. He's immensely talented, one of the most talented wrestlers I've ever seen. But he very rarely puts all that talent together into a great performance. A lot of that comes from him so willingly buying into the Dragon Gate match structure; a structure that does his skills a great disservice. I mean, every Tozawa DG match ends up being pretty much the same; someone picks a body area and works it over a bunch, there's a lot of selling, then the home stretch hits and all the body work is forgotten in favor of flashy offense. Tozawa is capable of much more than that, but he is all too willing to sink to that level all the time.

I may have already asked you this on Twitter, but have you seen his work with Hero from PWG?