Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the above lineup? I don't think a card with so many tag matches is the way to try and expand the appeal of the New Japan product in America. Those bottom three matches, in particular, are just pointless. 

I realize the Cow Palace show didn't draw like they wanted, but the lineup of that show was far superior. This feels like a slightly amped-up Korakuen Hall show.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bottom half of the card is way too ROH heavy, but I think everything from White/Gedo-Tana/Kushida on is pretty interesting to me. They don't want to give away the singles match, but they're putting Okada and Omega in the ring together for the first time since Dominion - that should be a fairly big deal for a US show.

I mean, so far New Japan has treated their US shows as one would've expected. Their expansion was never about "taking over" and from the get go it was explained as something more similar to a Korakuen show than a big PPV.

Having said that, the dates they've picked and the promotion for each show has been getting worse each time they do a new event. The biggest match on the card is a tag match that if it was announced last month - when it was already reported that tickets were selling slowly - it could've gained some momentum and even could've been promoted at All In. It could very well be a MOTYC, specially for the fanbase that could buy a ticket. Announcing it five days before the show makes no damn sense. They trusted Juice vs Cody would be enough to sell more, weird.

The Cow Palace show didn't do as well as they want it - for a variety of reasons, the date and promotion being the most important ones, imo - but they were able to save it from total disaster by announcing Cody vs Omega a couple of weeks prior, which boosted tickets sales.

And by the way, they have King of Pro Wrestling at Sumo Hall in two weeks and the only match announced is KUSHIDA vs the winner of the Jr tournament for the vacant belt. White vs Tanahashi is a given, but it's still not official. I guess they'll run an angle at Long Beach and reveal the whole card next week, but that leaves just 1 week of promotion for the biggest show they have in Tokyo before January. It feels like a heat check by the company after doing awesome attendance wise this year.

I haven't been particularly into NJ since Omega won the title but that main event catches my interest as much as anything they've done since other than a couple of G1 matches. Lately, I noticed I like Omega more in tags. Plus, I like everyone in that match. The opener could be cool as well. This is what all their events except for the two or three biggest ones feel like to me, it'll probably be an alright show. Those are some valid points about their promotional tactics though.

The fact that New Japan doesn't announce the matches for shows until they are the next one up is something that I actually really like as a viewer, as it always keeps the focus on whatever matches and feuds that are coming immediately, and it's always fun to see the cards for the next shows announced like a day or two after each event/tour.

But yes, it's obviously hurting their promotion for these US shows in particular. The point about no matches announced for King of Pro-Wrestling yet is an interesting one, and I think it suggests a couple things:  New Japan is so confident in their ability to draw in Tokyo that they don't feel it's important to give proper notice on the card. This confidence isn't unwarranted, as they've sold out this show pretty easily in the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of that show's ticket's are already sold. This in turn perhaps speaks to the fan's confidence that NJ will provide a show worth going to.

The other thing it might suggest is that they have a big match lined up to headline King of Pro-Wrestling already, and they're planning to hype it at the Long Beach show. This was the first year since 2013 we got an IWGP Heavyweight title match at Destruction, so maybe this is the first year we get a different title to headline KOPW? There doesn't seem to be a logical opponent for Omega that could be built in such a short amount of time, and it looks like he's already looking ahead to Tanahashi at the Dome.

So what would that leave us with? Jericho. They set up a feud with EVIL after he beat Naito, and a lot of people think we're getting Jericho/Naito II at the Dome, so Jericho showing up in Long Beach and attacking EVIL to set up the King of Pro-Wrestling main event, which would then lead to Jericho winning and Naito challenging, would make a lot of sense. Power Struggle in November is usually headlined by the IC title, but they have other titles that could headline that show, and this year with the IC belt on Jericho it feels big enough to maybe warrant a Sumo Hall main event.

Really shocked that they're going for a triple threat at KOPW. Omega still likely to enter the Dome with the title but using a triple threat as his obstacle to get there actually opens up some interesting possibilities. This continues to be the most unpredictable road to the Dome that Gedo's booked in a while. As for the match itself, the addition of Cody dilutes my excitement but having the first triple threat for the IWGP title in over a decade could be interesting.

For those on the fence, the Fighting Spirit show last night was a huge home run.  Some quick hit thoughts:

The lineup was hardly all that exciting on paper, but basically every undercard / nonsense tag was quick with solid action and almost no fat. 

Ospreay/Scurll may not have approached their Sakura Genesis classic, but it was hot from the start and a sound, logical match with big spots, great selling and transitions and a convincing finish.  Plus no nonsense antics from Scurll.

Bucks/GOD was hands down my favorite NJPW tag of the year.  Another incredible sell job by Matt Jackson while the GOD played their part well and didn't bring things down at all.  

Cody/Juice was also solid even if it didn't touch the evening's big matches, and had a fun finishing stretch.

The main event may not be memorable 6 weeks or 6 years from now, but if you enjoy these four in big singles matches you should love this as well.  Great job teasing Okada/Omega without giving away too much, just like they did with the Ospreay/Ibushi pairing in the 9/7 tag.  

I went ****, ****, ***1/2 and ****1/2 on those last four matches.  This was no doubt a show that benefited from low expectations, but wow did they ever smash them.  It even felt like a pretty quick show despite having a 10-15 minute intermission.  Nothing like a few great hours of wrestling on the couch on a Sunday night.

2 hours ago, Wahoos Leg said:

How did JR and Kevin mesh on commentary

I'm not going to lie, I almost switched to the Japanese commentary when I heard Ross's voice.  But I stuck with it and while there were moments where he was incredibly annoying and out of touch, it wasn't that bad.  Seemed like Kelly controlled things enough to keep them calling the matches and stick to the talking points.

I agree that this was way better than it looked on paper. The Addiction vs Chase Owens and Hangman Page was a great fast paced Tag match while the 6-Man that followed was one of the most fun matches I've seen this year. The four 'main-events' were all good - great too with the headline Tag Match being my personal pick of the bunch. Don't think it'll be a show that gets remembered for years to come but there's enough on there for it to be an underappreciated gem, which isn't a bad result all things considered. 

Oh, and as for the commentary, J.R. stumbled about a little but Kevin Kelly kept it together and by the end they seemed to have found their groove quite nicely with J.R. in particular seeming to relax and have some fun. Decent show.

11 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

I'm not going to lie, I almost switched to the Japanese commentary when I heard Ross's voice.  But I stuck with it and while there were moments where he was incredibly annoying and out of touch, it wasn't that bad.  Seemed like Kelly controlled things enough to keep them calling the matches and stick to the talking points.

I switched over at the last American show when he bitched about the legal man during the Bucks/LIJ tag.

I was also curious because JR made a few snarky comments about the pairing heading into it.

Yeah, that show was excellent from start to finish. The first part peaked with the super fun six-men match. Then the four big matches all delivered in their own ways.

Ospreay vs Scurll was great, it also looked way safer than the previous one (doh!) but built and built until a great finishing stretch. The right guy won too, as it gives another dynamic with KUSHIDA maybe regaining his title against a legit heel.

The tag-team match was very good, with Matt playing on his injured back (damn, this is the longest sold injury in pro-wrestling) and Nick playing fiery babyface like nobody's business. The tongans aren't a great tag team, but this match went beyond their usual level. I still don't want them to be champ for too long though.

Cody vs Juice was excellent, and damn Brandi is a great valet. Gotta love the overbumping when Juice barely touched her and the little dance once she got back up. She's of the Sherry/Francine kind, just the best. And it sure adds to the whole act, although I thought it was one of Cody's better performance of late. It helps that Juice has evolved into a terrific worker. (did I just hear that Cody vs Aldis were gonna have a 2/3 falls match called by Schiavone & Corny ? 2018 is still adding up crazy shit upon crazy shit)

And the main event was just a great, great match. So much to love here, especially when Okada decides to be a dick to Omega.

The whole triple threat stuff is interesting if only because Cody, NWA champ, is gonna main event the Sumo Hall. It's better that they just don't throw out Omega vs Ibushi with one week build, so this definitely adds some intrigue, although of course the match won't be the same kind of great.

1 hour ago, Richeyedwards said:

Shingo is bigger than several of their heavyweights including the world champ, ibushi and much bigger than zack who is classed as a heaayweight so I doubt it. The new member is supposed to be a jr.

Shingo is not bigger than Omega or Ibushi. He's a leaner version of Ishii basically. I don't see him being the "pareja" either though, I don't see him taking a Junior gig in New Japan when he can make good money everywhere else freelancing as a heavy.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:44 AM, SmartMark15 said:

Really shocked that they're going for a triple threat at KOPW. Omega still likely to enter the Dome with the title but using a triple threat as his obstacle to get there actually opens up some interesting possibilities. This continues to be the most unpredictable road to the Dome that Gedo's booked in a while. As for the match itself, the addition of Cody dilutes my excitement but having the first triple threat for the IWGP title in over a decade could be interesting.

I think a triple-threat would work much better if it was Yano rather than Cody. They could do sooooo much with Yano repeatedly trying to steal the win.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:29 AM, aaeo_ said:

how lame would it be if it's just Kawato?

While probably not as exciting an option as say Shingo, Kawato's always had loads of potential is already better than more than half the junior division. I'd be thrilled.