Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

So, apparently tomorrow Jeff Jarrett is going to announce Matt Striker will be doing colour commentary alongside Jim Ross for Wrestle Kingdom 9. Not my first choice, but you can probably count me as one of the few who is fine with Striker calling the show.

I'm all for it. I know J.R. hate is fashionable around these parts (what with him being a vile human being who uses cringe inducing hate speech and everything) but I like him, and he's one of the reasons I am ordering the show. I was just keeping my fingers crossed for him to get a color guy who will know the NJPW product and actually add some color, and I think Striker is that guy. He's a fan, and I am confident that what he doesn't know, he'll research before the show. I am really looking forward to this.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the last 2 shows before the huge Tokyo dome show were good wrestling with 2 good angles. I liked the 6 man main event better than the elimination match from the previous show. I liked the Yano angle with the Noah guys, but I don't give a crap about Yano. The Liger angle with Desperado where Liger gets his outfit and his hair from the mask cut off was tremendous. I want Liger to get revenge on a future show. The Dome show looks like we'll have some killer matches on it.

The Liger/Desperado storyline has been outstanding, and I agree, it makes me want to see Liger win as well. It is very rare that angles have that effect on me these days.

Liger vs Desperado for the NWA Junior title was announced for the 1/5 New Year's Dash show at Korakuen.

Also the two matches for the 1/3 mini show before the Dome were announced as well:

Liger, Komatsu, Tanaka vs Despy, Tachi, TAKA

Nagata & Tiger Mask vs Nakanishi & Capt New Japan

This is airing on NJW.

Also announced was that the WK9 preshow "Rambo" Royal Rumble gimmick will have 15 men.

The problem with that idea is that Liger is headed to the States for a tour around the NWA affiliates in January/February, presumably after Dome week. I'm assuming he drops the title back to Owens or somebody else while he's here.

I didn't know that. Man the angle screams mask match.

The problem with that idea is that Liger is headed to the States for a tour around the NWA affiliates in January/February, presumably after Dome week. I'm assuming he drops the title back to Owens or somebody else while he's here.

Do you know if Liger is going to hit any of the Texas NWA groups ?

Do you know if Liger is going to hit any of the Texas NWA groups ?

Yes. I know one promoter for sure that was promised a Liger match months ago. If that holds, i'm sure he'll work some of the other affiliates around the state too.

Here's the catch. NWA Houston recently left the NWA and is now "Lonestar Wrestling", because Chris Ronquillo (who runs Lonestar ) & Bruce Tharpe had a nasty split. People are taking sides. There are some affiliates who are "Ronquillo guys" who never dealt with Tharpe, so there is a lot of uncertainty as to how all of this will shake out in terms of who stays on and who leaves the NWA.

Anyway, I'd expect Liger to hit Texas either way no matter what, considering Tharpe lives here.

Did anyone watch the Korakuen shows? Will have some time the next week or so to cherry pick some highlights.

I'd watch the main events of both shows. On night 1 watch the Liger match it has a killer angle on it. Night 2 the Yano match has a good angle too. Nothing else stood out as can't miss.

Did anyone watch the Korakuen shows? Will have some time the next week or so to cherry pick some highlights.

I'd watch the main events of both shows. On night 1 watch the Liger match it has a killer angle on it. Night 2 the Yano match has a good angle too. Nothing else stood out as can't miss.

I'd add Komatsu vs Tanaka to that list. Maybe the best match they've had yet.

Meltzer is reporting that he thinks we'll be getting a series of matches. With your info and Dave's I'd speculate we'll see a mask match after Liger drops the title in the states.

• 2 weeks later...

Meltzer is reporting that he thinks we'll be getting a series of matches. With your info and Dave's I'd speculate we'll see a mask match after Liger drops the title in the states.

There is a ton of NWA turmoil and uncertainty right now with the Tharpe/Ronquillo split. I was told the Liger thing has been pushed to April.

Somebody also told me that NJPW was on the verge of "booting Tharpe", and thus, the NWA.

Tharpe did a Wreddit AMA and was behaving as if everything is peachy with NJPW, but he dodged every Ronquillo related question like only a lawyer can.

Anyone else as high on New Year Dash as I was. I really liked the Dome show, but I think i slightly preferred NYD. Liger v. Desperado is being called disappointing most places, but I thought it was very good, loved Suzukis performance in the 10 man, liked all the angles, thought the average match was better than that on the Dome show, and I thought all the sprinty multi man tags were good. Felt like a really great after Mania Raw

Anyone else as high on New Year Dash as I was. I really liked the Dome show, but I think i slightly preferred NYD. Liger v. Desperado is being called disappointing most places, but I thought it was very good, loved Suzukis performance in the 10 man, liked all the angles, thought the average match was better than that on the Dome show, and I thought all the sprinty multi man tags were good. Felt like a really great after Mania Raw

I agree. Seeing some of the reviews online it seemed like a skip show. I watched it last night and enjoyed it. It didn't hit the highs of the Dome show, but it didn't hit the lows either. Nothing seemed rushed like on the Dome show.Most of the matches were good. Plus we see where they're heading. I'd give it a thumbs up show.

The two big cards for the Fantastica Mania tour

NJPW "NJPW PRESENTS CMLL FANTASTICA MANIA 2015", 18.01.2015 (Samurai! TV/NJPW World)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo vs. Angel de Oro, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask
2. Rey Cometa, Triton & KUSHIDA vs. Mr. Niebla, El Barbaro Cavernario & OKUMURA
3. Tetsuya Naito, La Sombra & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Macara Don, Mascara Dorada & Captain New Japan
4. NWA World Historic Middleweight Title: Volador Jr. © vs. Gran Guerrero
5. National Light Heavyweight Title: Maphisto © vs. Stuka Jr.
6. Black Cat Memorial Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mistico & Stigma vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Polvora
7. Special Singles Match: Atlantis vs. Utimo Guerrero

NJPW "NJPW PRESENTS CMLL FANTASTICA MANIA 2015", 19.01.2015 (TV Asahi Ch. 2/NJPW World)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask, Jushin Thunder Liger & Stuka Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo & OKUMURA
2. Tetsuya Naito & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Captain New Japan & Triton
3. Angel de Oro & Stigma vs. Mephisto & Gran Guerrero
4. Special Singles Match: Rey Cometa vs. El Barbaro Cavernario
5. Special Singles Match: Mistico vs. Polvora
6. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, Atlantis & Volador Jr. vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Ultimo Guerrero & Mr. Niebla
7. Special Singles Match: Mascara Dorada vs. La Sombra

Disappointing tour on paper, but at least Cavernario is coming in

The on-paper cards were destined to be disappointing once the list of wrestlers coming over was released. Polvora, Gran Guerrero, Mr. Niebla and Angel de Oro don't bring much to the table. I like Triton and Stigma but its not like they are anything to get excited over either. When you are adding those guys and subtracting Rush, Fuego, Titan, Maximo, Rey Escorpion & Stuka Jr. from last year's tour, the cards are going to look just "eh". Of course, they didn't do themselves any additional favors by not booking a CMLL/NJPW singles match which is always a neat highlight.

All that aside, the Korakuen cards should be good. Dorada/Sombra is a first time match. I am sure they will work it in the same vein as last year's Volador/Dorada match but that's fine with me because I thought that was a very fun spot fest that the crowd totally ate up. UG works reasonably hard in Japan so his match with Atlantis should be decent. Cometa vs. Cavernario will be good and Stuka Jr./Mephisto should be at least alright. The atomicos on the final night also looks like a ton of fun. The first three cards don't do much for me and I am not sure the tag tournament will be any good, but it is different enough that I am excited to watch it.

Can the CMLL roster coming in be explained? How do they actually choose who is coming over? Like, what happened to Titan? How about Dragon Lee and Cachorro? Too many good workers feel left out from it but I really don't know how CMLL(or NJPW) chooses these guys.

One thing I am excited about is Cometa and Cavernario. Probably writing something on them getting a tour to work up to it. Atlantis nor Guerrero do much for me.