Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-12-13-WCW-Nitro] Pyro and Ballyhoo

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Orndorff was told that the Powers That Be wanted to talk to him but he's not sure why he's here. Back in the ring, the Nitro Girls are dancing when Rhonda Singh joins them to show off her dance moves. The fans boo her so she starts beating up the other women. Then we cut to Finlay and Knobs doing more training with Knobs being ordered to jog through water. Then we get a Jerry Flynn vs Norman Smiley match "in the block", which they never fully explained, and only Russo could make that match not be fun. Then we cut to Meng and Tank Abbott brawling and ending up spilling into the block as well. I like the idea of this group of legit tough guys having their own thing, but this wasn't the way to do it.

Next we see Orndorff talking to Russo. Russo takes it out on Orndorff that Midnight, who he trained, has been such a thorn in his side, so he is fired. Orndorff protests, so Russo makes a match for him against Creative Control.

Ratings.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ooh, a Mike Graham sighting--as thrilling as it sounds. Rhonda Singh shows up with the Nitro Girls for no particular reason. I don't think I'd want Finlay as a personal trainer but it's mildly amusing to watch him abuse Brian Knobbs.

"The Block"--ROTFL. Smiley's girly screams are interesting but the production is out-and-out hilarious. Tank Abbott and Meng continue a fight from elsewhere which leads to Abbott vs. Flynn. We can't actually show a conclusion or declare a winner of anything because of course that doesn't matter.

Russo tells Orndorff and his Howie Long haircut that he's fired because he trained Midnight. Orndorff was a New Orleans Saint?! The Howie Long line wasn't so good that Russo had to re-use it. La Parka helps Creative Control restrain Orndorff and that's a match I'd much rather have seen.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-12-13-WCW-Nitro] Pyro and Ballyhoo