Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-20-AJW-Last Night's Explosion] Manami Toyota vs Takako Inoue

PeteF3

The big follow up from last months tag title match. Takako waste no time and jumps Toyota in the isle and they fight into the crowd. Toyota tries to take her out with a diving cross body off the stage but wipes out Numata instead, back near ringside Takako tries a dive of her own but takes out another young girl instead. Tak recovers quickly and follows by hauling off on Toyota with a big series of punches then just to be a jerk starts stomping on her hands and pulling hair once she's down. After that Tak makes the mistake of falling back into her old comfort zone, instead of continuing with more aggressive offense she goes back to her old standard of trying to controll the match with a bunch of submissions. She has some success at first but ultimately it fails her. Toyota gets controll of the match and we get a long stretch of her busting out a bunch of holds of her own and when I say her own I mean exclusively her own. At least 4 times during this part Toyota cranks on some strange hold i've never seen anyone do before and that I have no way of describing other then they look hurty as hell. I'm sure Toyota is a pretty clean living woman but if someone told me before some of her matches she liked to pop mushrooms injected with cafine and sprinkled with acid I wouldn't doubt them. It would explain so much :) Anyways, Tak eventually has enough of being made into a human pretzel and kicks Toyota in the chest a bunch of times to transition back in controll. Doesn't last long as Toyota counters a lariat attempt into the rolling cradle. Toyota hits a bunch of suplexs to follow up and Takako counters with a tombstone for 2 counts. Takako catches Toyota with a top rope choke slam for a mega near fall that wakes up the crowd who thought she had the win. Big Takako chant after that. Toyota getting desperate gets in string of suplexes, cradles and a moonsault all for 2. Last burst of offense from Tak sees her drop Toyota with a big backdrop suplex and then attempt a dragon but Toyota mule kicks out of it, hits 2 more moonsaults and then the JOCS to finally win. Awesome awesome match, between this, the Kyoko match in Jan and the big tags w Hotta, Takako has by far been the standout wrestler of the 1st quarter of 93 as her evolution continues to be one of the most interesting things to follow in joshi. Match had myself and the fans thear really hoping she'd FINALLY be able to get that big win to prove herself but again, she comes close only to fails and be left looking dejected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Maybe I'm a bit too used to Aja and Bull for my own good, but I was a bit underwhelmed. Not that this was boring, exactly, but there weren't a whole lot of high impact moves. It was basically Toyota trying out all kinds of fancy submissions and cradle/bridge suplexes, none of which was enough to put Inoue down for the count. Inoue brought what little high-end offense there was; her near-chokeslam from the top produced the hottest nearfall I've seen in quite a while. But in the end, Toyota put her in one more suplex predicament than she could get out of. Not a bad match, but a lot more basic than the ones the Yearbook series tends to feature when it comes to joshi.

I must admit that I love Toyota's rolling cradle. How she has the balance, strength, and stamina to keep that move up for as long as she does without passing out or causing her opponent to pass out I have no idea, but it looks spectacular.

• 5 months later...

An inconsistent match that played out a little differently than the norm. The opening was a bit strange, though not bad. They then settled into a surprisingly lengthy period of matwork. Toyota was busting out some innovative lucha-esque submission holds. By the 15m mark they'd given themselves a base to build off and were entering the stretch. Unfortunately Takako then reset to the mat, misreading the flow. Even so, once they hit the stretch things were starting to heat up. But then at the end Toyota attempted some unnecessarily difficult moonsault variations and only partially hit her final 3 moves. That ended it on a big downer and felt like they'd missed an open goal. Frustrating, but the AJW workers from this era had so many opportunities to hit they could afford to squander a few chances.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-20-AJW-Last Night's Explosion] Manami Toyota vs Takako Inoue