Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-11-AJW-Dream Slam II] Bull Nakano vs Chigusa Nagayo

PeteF3

What was Nagayo doing between the Crush Gals and this show, anyway? Or until the formation of GAEA? I do admire the booking of this show for laying out so many disparate styles, especially for a big joshi show where one of my criticisms is that the styles and matches tend to run together. This is a hard-hitting slugfest between two old rivals, with some crowd brawling and some intense submission work before we start hitting the near-falls. I don't know what Nagayo's status was but for a legend-returns-to-the-ring match this was pretty awesome, and she didn't look to have lost a step. Nagayo gets a nice comeback after kicking out of the Guillotine Legdrop, before Bull shrugs it off to put her away.

What was Nagayo doing between the Crush Gals and this show, anyway? Or until the formation of GAEA?

She would do commentary on the TV shows sometimes. After her comeback she would wrestle a series matches for JWP over the next couple of years before GAEA got up and running. It's amazing how strong most of those matches were considering her inactivity. She was upset at being forced to retire in 1989 when the mandatory retirement age was still in effect. Clearly Chigusa had a lot more to give.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I mentioned how strong Chigusa's comeback matches were. In JWP. The four years of ring rust was very apparent in this disappointing encounter. Slow paced and not in a good way. Weak finish too. Chiggy vs Devil from the previous show was a lot more fun than this.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-11-AJW-Dream Slam II] Bull Nakano vs Chigusa Nagayo