Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-07-24-UWF] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Kazuo Yamazaki

Phil Schneider

This was my number one match in the Other Japan Best of the 90's voting, and truly a beautiful piece of professional wrestling. It is paced differently then any of the other matches in the Top 15, and I am guessing the odd pacing may have been a reason it finished low on some peoples ballots. Fujiwara, especially in the late 80's and 90's does this really stop-start almost Fugazish pacing, where you have big exchanges or moves, and then lulls, where both guys would circle or feint, before the next attack. I really like this kind of pacing, it is the kind of thing you often see in shootfights or boxing matches, really brings drama to the moments of action.

The first part of this match, Fujiwara is really not taking Yamazaki seriously at all. Like he is almost contemptuous, imagine Flair v. Scott McGhee or Ricky Steamboat in their first match. He throws in a cheap shot headbutt, dancing around mugging, puts on a knee bar while reclining with his head resting leisurely in his hand. At one point Yamazaki throws some kicks which miss, and Fujiwara responds with some really assholish thrown kicks of his own. Almost like the Jock Football player taunting the Asian kid with fake Karate. Fujiwara has some of the greatest facial expressions in wrestling history, and he really gets across contemptuous prick.

Yamazaki finally gets some respect when he hits Fujiwara with a nasty kick to the stomach for a down. Yamazaki tends to be kind of hit and miss with his kicks, and Fujiwara only sells the ones that land big, unlike a lot of other guys who will sell intent not result. Fujiwara also is always trying to catch the middle kicks, although even when he does, he will sell the shot if it is solid enough.

The last ten minutes of this match really bring it over the top. Fujiwara has gotten four downs on Yamazaki so he just needs one more knockdown for a technical decision. So Yamazaki has his back against the wall. He gets fed up with the abuse and you almost get the sense he has decided to dish out some receipts even if he is going down. Like many Fujiwara matches ring positioning is very important, Fujiwara had been trapping Yamazaki in the corner and punishing him with bodyshots. Yamazaki kind of bull rushes Fujiwara in the corner, and just unleashes body shots of his own, seemingly aiming right for Fujiwara's sake soaked kidneys. The downs get close to even, and they announce five minutes remaining.

They then go right to the corner with both guys now throwing with abandon and trying to maneuver the other into the corner, Yamazaki gets the final turn and cracks Fujiwara with a knee lift for a nine count. Now UWF2 had booked a ton of 30 minute draws, including one in the opening match of this show. Really the only reason to book so many undercard 30 minute draws is for a main event finish like this.

So we are at 28 minutes and Yamazaki unloads with nasty headbut right to Fujiwara's mouth. Now this is a clearly a receipt for the headbutts earlier in the show. Fujiwara comes up with blood dripping from his mouth, and this look on his face "So were throwing headbutts now, Motherfucker," and he just unloads with three nasty headbutts including one right to the eye for the TKO at 29 minutes 30 seconds. Yamazaki was technically fine here, but this was the Fujiwara show. Just an artist at telling a story with smirks and eye rolls and sneers. Every action had a reaction, great great stuff.

• 3 years later...

Just watched this for the first time, and it was awesome. What an all-time-great performance by Fujiwara, being an arrogant jackass, working the crowd wonderfully and making Yamazaki earn every single one of his little victories. I totally agree with Phil, as this is the Fujiwara show, but Kazuo's determination was amazing too. He was pissed off by Yoshiaki's attitude and used that feeling as a weapon, learning about his rival and evolving into a better oponent for him. Also, I really liked that fucking finish.

I'm kinda new watching shoot style stuff, but I loved every second of this: great character development and cool technique from both guys. One of the most underrated matches of the year and mayyyyybe of the whole decade? Maybe. ****1/2.

• 3 months later...
This was more of a methodically-paced defensive contest, with both guys wary of strikes, backing into corners and trying to wear each other out on the canvas. It may not be as "exciting" as other UWF bouts but it's worked smartly. The don Fujiwara lets Yamazaki know just how hard his forehead is early on as he lunges in with a headbutt during a lock up. Yamazaki's able to avoid some of Fujiwara's signature offense but he can't manage any traction either. They try to chop each other down with kicks but in a nice move, Yamazaki holds onto Fujiwara's legs to prevent the down. Yamazaki misses a lot of his big kicks and at times, it appeared as though he was holding back. But Fujiwara, as always, is an absolute joy to watch in the ring. When he's got Yamazaki in a leglock, he holds on through Kazuo's kicking. When he catches a foot against the ropes, he hangs on and turns it into a fisherman suplex, not letting go upon impact. When Yamazaki tries for a sleeper hold, Fujiwara snatches a foot and twists, then grabs the other and does the same thing. He dodges a solebutt attempt and curtsies. A lot of the knock downs come from body shots in the corner or against the ropes and there's quite a bit of back-and-forth legwork. They spice things up in the final few minutes as they trade punches, slaps, kicks, with Fujiwara sandbagging after he eats Yamazaki's knee. Yamazaki's able to deliver the German suplex hold but he can't maintain the bridge as he's wore the fuck out. He signs his own death certificate when he headbutts Fujiwara because...well, Fujiwara is going to headbutt you right back and after he conks him with one, he picks up the TKO victory. A differently worked/paced match but still an absolute pleasure, thanks to Fujiwara's appeal.

• GSR changed the title to [1989-07-24-UWF] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Kazuo Yamazaki
  • 1 month later...

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Kazuo Yamazaki - UWF II 7/24/89

I was kinda dreading this because it is 30 minutes and I dont think shoot-style should go more than 15. I know, I know who am I to doubt Fujiwara?

First Half: Really fun front half. When we discuss shoot-style we dont use the word "fun" that much but this was fun. The best spot was Fujiwara feigning a knockdown as if to say "You really think you had me down for a nine count from what little kick to the midsection?". Fujiwara was such a jackass. After being a dick about faking a knockdown, he lures Yamazaki into the corner and headbutts him instead of giving him a clean break.  Then he just unloads a barrage of stiff body shots that puts Yamazaki down. Yamazaki gets back up and only takes a couple more body shots before he is down again. I know that was just the last 3 minutes or so of the first half, but what an incredible three minutes. I enjoyed the work prior to that. Fujiwara delivered a nasty headbutt in the opening lockup. Destroyed Yamazaki in the kick game. There was a great moment when Yamazaki had a kneebar and Fujiwara thinks about a rope break. He thinks better of it. He puts his forearm on the throat of Yamazaki and cracks him with a palm strike. What an asshole. Guess what, he counters into his own leg lace and Yamazaki has to use his rope break. Delivered a badass Fisherman's suplex. So was this a squash? No. Yamazaki was able to counter a Fujiwara armbar and attempt his own. His best moment came when Fujiwara hit the a Fisherman Suplex and didnt know what to do next. Yamazaki was able to get a double wristlock then choke, Again, Fujiwara proved to be better as he was able to get a really deep toehold. When Yamazaki tried to use his free leg to free himself, Fujiwara grabbed that and put Yamazaki in a really deep toehold. I hate, hate the term carryjob. But man reflecting on what I watched and writing this, it does feel like a Fujiwara carryjob, but damn if it hasnt been fun as fuck so far. 

Second Half: Yamazaki looks like such a tool in this match. He is throwing spinwheel kicks that barely connect and Fujiwara just looks down on him like "What the fuck is wrong with you?" Fujiwara is able to get back to back leg submissions that force rope breaks and so he scores another down. I literally say out loud, "Yamazaki you suck, do something" at this point. I finally realize he is throwing the axe kick as feint to set up a roundhouse kick. He finally connects with one to mush but Fujiwara is back up at nine quickly to say that one didnt phase me that bad. Yamazaki kinda spooks Fujiwara with a couple kicks and you can tell these actually affect Fujiwara because he roars back and a couple swift body shots for the fourth knockdown. Fujiwara is such a cocky prick. He announces he only needs one more knockdown and holds out one finger. Yamazaki has such body language at this point. He looks like a man that is defeated and has no fight left in him. At one point, a firefight breaks out and he catches Fujiwara with a kneelift that stuns Fujiwara and scores a knockdown. I am rooting hard for Fujiwara at this point and would hate to see him choke. Yamazaki delivers a brutal headbutt and pops Fujiwara in the mouth so hard he bloodies him. OH SHIT! It is on! Fujiwara just starts leading with his head. He is a fucking Yamazaki-seeking missile. He cracks Yamazaki hard under the eye, I think drawing blood and a TKO victory. Wild finish!

If someone says Yoshiaki Fujiwara is the greatest pro wrestler, I wouldnt bat an eye. This is the Fujiwara show and just enjoy it. What knocks this down from the tippy toppy and thought Yamazaki was just a load in this match and didnt contribute much. Fujiwara was glorious in this match. Watch him work! ****1/2

• 1 year later...

This is definitely one of my favorite UWF matches from this year, and it really says a lot about how great the year 1989 was from an in-ring standpoint. This is pretty much the Fujiwara show. He busts out a ton of cool shit, and some great moments like taking the kick and going down and then jumping back up at nine, to show that he really wasn't hurt that bad. Him going for the ropes and then changing his mind and rolling away from them and countering the heel hook with one his own was another. Yamazaki is great as always. He usually comes across as the stoic and caclculating bad ass, but Fujiwara manages to bring out a little bit of emotion in him. And, as great as Yamazaki is, Fujiwara is just a tiny bit better.  And Fujiwara's fisherman's suplex into a float over is all kinds of awesome, and something that I wish of the AEW boys would steal.

• 8 months later...

Awesome 29 minute match. This has all the things you'd expect from Fujiwara and the best of Yamazaki, too, who can be a bit of a dud on his day. The grappling was excellent as always but the defensive side of it was the strongest aspect of the match rather than the offence. Even when Fujiwara was floored by Yamazaki, he'd twist and turn to block some of the kicks. They used the striking smartly with even Fujiwara throwing some low kicks to knock Yamazaki off balance enough with Yamazaki while trying to avoid getting them on his own. I loved it when he'd gloat and tease Yamazaki after he'd side step them. The finish is sick. Yamazaki busted Fujiwara's mouth open, causing it to bleed so Fujiwara headbutted him 4/5 times in the skull to cause the KO. I hope that was Fujiwara giving Yamazaki a receipt and the match was supposed to go 30 (that's a draw). That would make it so much better. Those are the best kinds of finishes - the ones that can be bought as either worked or shoot. ****1/2