Pro Wrestling Only

Punk to UFC

Shining Wiz

He never really came across as a legit fighter in his work.

This is something surreal, beyond a publicity stunt. It's a shoot on the ultimate rib, making the rib play as a work.

Grab The Brass Ring = Go Make More Money Elsewhere and Become More Valuable Than My Shitty Product

What Vince doesn't get though, is that MMA is a fucking shoot and even I will pay money to see if Punk gets his ass beat or not.

I doubt he will be as sucessful as Lesnar alough mind you could you imagine the humiliation if he got his ass handed to him in the second round?

Over the past few months it seems his mouth cant back up what hes bulling.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he makes it to the second round, that would be a pretty huge accomplishment. It's not easy to last 5:00 against someone attempting to cause great bodily harm to you. I expect him to get thumped in short order, but I can't wait to watch it. So, UFC is off to a great start here (though I am admittedly already a fan and have been for several years).

I guess you could call me a "lapsed" UFC fan as I haven't really been paying much attention in the past 2-3 years. The best thing they could do with a PPV that has Punk on it is try and load it up with the most exciting fights they can to try and hook people like me who have kind of fallen out of watching but will be tuning in for the freak show aspect.

I'm... Slightly lapsed? I used to watch every piece of MMA there was back when there were more promotions (Dream, Stikeforce, WEC, Pride of course, etc.) but have really had my interest wane since UFC put everyone out of business. I still watch about 80% of the PPV's, but usually the next morning after downloading it. I can't remember the last time I spent $. Maybe the first Silva/Weidman fight? I pretty much never watch the free shows anymore, and you couldn't pay me to watch a season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Combination of things led to me falling out, probably similar to the ones that make people care less about wrestling: old favorites moving on, being oversaturated, not feeling any attachment to the current crop of fighters, and stuff like that. It's just been a really cold product for a while because they have no huge stars, aside from Ronda Rousey, and she's going to move on soon enough, herself.

I'm indifferent to Punk, but having trained and fought in MMA there's really no way I don't see Punk getting his head blasted off the first time he faces legit competition. No amateur wrestling background, no striking background/training, and very limited and rudimentary BJJ training. Punk has all the makings of the guy who comes into the gym, grapples for a while, thinks he's better than he is, decides to try out MMA and either gets blasted hard in the sparring sessions and quits or makes it to an actual fight and is very much out of his element and discovers MMA is just not for him. Key difference here is that Punk will make enough that he'll keep coming back even after he gets destroyed the first time. Of course, I always leave the door open that Punk could surprise me and be really great, he may just end up being that.

As far as what this says about Punk the person, it just shows how hypocritical he really is. Bitches and moans about part time wrestlers stealing a sport that full timers deserve more and taking money away from full timers. That's exactly what he is doing in MMA and in comics. If his fans can't see that, then they have massive blinders on.

I wonder if popping one or two buyrates is worth the credibility damage that bringing in Punk will cause. Dana always talks about how he wants UFC to become the biggest sport in the world, but doing things like putting untrained, untested guys in UFC with no prior fights ensure that it will always be seen as a carny sideshow to the general public.

No one is bashing Punk for doing what he wants and getting a payday, I'm just thinking there's no way he's beating anyone besides a wino they throw in to the octagon with the promise of a hot meal to take a dive.

He deserves some bashing by wrestling fans given his loud and frequent criticisms of Rock, Brock, Taker and other part-timers "who won't be there on Monday" given he hasn't done anything to earn a spot in UFC. Personally, I don't give a damn. I watched Brock in UFC because of his amateur credentials, freak athleticism and most of all because I was a wrestling fan and wanted to see what he could do. I'll probably watch Punk in UFC because I'm a wrestling fan and want to see what this former wrestling headliner does. Just makes all of his promotional efforts over the last couple weeks and, unfortunately, some of his legit issues with WWE seem like nothing but promotional tactics when he's playing the same game to sell himself here.

Didn't he spend a couple of hours complaining about how injured he was? Now he wants to go and get further injured?

He also complained about how WWE should have paid him ten f***ing million dollars period and given him a spot in the WrestleMania main event. The dude's a pro wrestler. We should never be surprised at their capacity to continue to beat up their body further if the cash, creative and hype is correct.

I don't watch UFC but I'm gonna go out on the limb and say he wins at least his first couple of fights.

Also, I don't know if you really cut "promos" in UFC. But apparently Sonnen used to have a sharp tongue and get people invested in his fights. Have to imagine Punk is going to light the UFC world on fire with some great "promos".

I don't watch UFC but I'm gonna go out on the limb and say he wins at least his first couple of fights.

Based on what? Unless they go out of their way to find guys that they know have no business in the Octagon (like Punk) I can't see him beating a guy who has been training for a couple years, even if that guy has only fought a few local MMA fights.

Based on what? Unless they go out of their way to find guys that they know have no business in the Octagon (like Punk) I can't see him beating a guy who has been training for a couple years, even if that guy has only fought a few local MMA fights.

I think Punk probably has an insane work ethic and maybe his opponents take him lightly?

Like I said, I don't watch UFC. Or any type of MMA. I'm not qualified to have any base of opinion. It's just hard to envision him getting destroyed like some of ya'll are saying.

When I first saw about Punk signing with UFC this morning, I thought "Doing what?" I mean guys who have gotten killed or just beat the hell up in MMA coming from wrestling had legit backgrounds in amateur wrestling like Nagata,Shibata, and Nakamura. Batista had a hard time against a no name guy in his MMA fight and I remember other guys like Jose Canseco, James Toney and Jonnie Morton getting embarrassed.

I don't fault him nor the UFC for doing this cause it makes sense business wise. I'm another lapsed MMA fan and the fights I've seen in the last 12 months is the UFC show last December with Anderson Silva in the main and the Connor McGregor show in Ireland (who reminds me of Punk in a way.) UFC needed this cause I doubt the buyrates for last night's show are going to be good.

No one is bashing Punk for doing what he wants and getting a payday, I'm just thinking there's no way he's beating anyone besides a wino they throw in to the octagon with the promise of a hot meal to take a dive.

He deserves some bashing by wrestling fans given his loud and frequent criticisms of Rock, Brock, Taker and other part-timers "who won't be there on Monday" given he hasn't done anything to earn a spot in UFC. Personally, I don't give a damn. I watched Brock in UFC because of his amateur credentials, freak athleticism and most of all because I was a wrestling fan and wanted to see what he could do. I'll probably watch Punk in UFC because I'm a wrestling fan and want to see what this former wrestling headliner does. Just makes all of his promotional efforts over the last couple weeks and, unfortunately, some of his legit issues with WWE seem like nothing but promotional tactics when he's playing the same game to sell himself here.

Yeah I wont say what I personally think of the guy but what he said was completely uncalled for with Colt. The biggest thing that irritated me about him was that promo on Raw where he slagged off Sammartino & Hogan about there run on top and their supposed easy scheduele. Well for one thing it was alot tougher back then to get people to leave their spot and he obviously forgets what while you never had PPVs or weekly Raws you did have the champion defending all around the country at House Shows which is what Raw would have been like then so its not as if they had a easy scheduel.

Plus if he really believes he would have stopped either of Sammartino or Hogans run back then well he is one dilusional bastard because if he had been there in his prime he would have never even been considered close to winning the belt.

Yeah I wont say what I personally think of the guy but what he said was completely uncalled for with Colt. The biggest thing that irritated me about him was that promo on Raw where he slagged off Sammartino & Hogan about there run on top and their supposed easy scheduele. Well for one thing it was alot tougher back then to get people to leave their spot and he obviously forgets what while you never had PPVs or weekly Raws you did have the champion defending all around the country at House Shows which is what Raw would have been like then so its not as if they had a easy scheduel.

Wrestling is a work.

Plus if he really believes he would have stopped either of Sammartino or Hogans run back then well he is one dilusional bastard because if he had been there in his prime he would have never even been considered close to winning the belt.

You understand that Punk was cutting a promo right?

You understand that Punk was cutting a promo right?

To be fair, neither did Superstar Billy Graham, who was mentioned in the same promo!

From a selfish level I hope he doesn't end up a MMA commentator. Seeing him in a fight or two, especially a trainwreck, would be interesting to me, but I don't care about MMA nearly enough to see him as a commentator. I tend to like him as a personality so I'd rather him do something that I'd be interested in.

He deserves some bashing by wrestling fans given his loud and frequent criticisms of Rock, Brock, Taker and other part-timers "who won't be there on Monday" given he hasn't done anything to earn a spot in UFC.

You guys keep misreading his criticism of the part-timer situation. It was always much more directed at WWE for putting those guys over than at the part-timers themselves. I'm pretty middle-of-the-road on Punk overall, but the talk of him as a hypocrite on this specific point is misguided.

He deserves some bashing by wrestling fans given his loud and frequent criticisms of Rock, Brock, Taker and other part-timers "who won't be there on Monday" given he hasn't done anything to earn a spot in UFC.

You guys keep misreading his criticism of the part-timer situation. It was always much more directed at WWE for putting those guys over than at the part-timers themselves. I'm pretty middle-of-the-road on Punk overall, but the talk of him as a hypocrite on this specific point is misguided.

Nah man, I can't agree. I've listened to him talk on the subject and he very clearly had issues with part timers taking away his spot. Whether or not he's mad at the company or the part timers is irrelevant. He made a big deal about losing money and his spot to part timers and then he turns around and does the same thing. As I've said in general I'm indifferent on Punk, but on this matter he is the definition of a hypocrite.

But it's like you refuse to see the nuance of the point. Yes, he thought it was shitty that WWE kept building its big Wrestlemania matches around making part-timers look strong. But that's really not the same as saying part-timers are assholes for wanting to work big matches. If Dana immediately stuck Punk in a title match and Punk praised it as a genius promotional move, that would be hypocrisy.

I think Punk probably has an insane work ethic and maybe his opponents take him lightly?

Like I said, I don't watch UFC. Or any type of MMA. I'm not qualified to have any base of opinion. It's just hard to envision him getting destroyed like some of ya'll are saying.

You don't watch MMA, but don't think he'll be destroyed? Huh? How can you make that assessment?

Personally I think Demetrious Johnson would smash him, in fact I'd even take Ronda over him! Just makes an even bigger mockery of the UFC in that Dana constantly puts down and ignores someone like Ben Askren but signs Punk.