Pro Wrestling Only

Punk to UFC

Shining Wiz

But it's like you refuse to see the nuance of the point. Yes, he thought it was shitty that WWE kept building its big Wrestlemania matches around making part-timers look strong. But that's really not the same as saying part-timers are assholes for wanting to work big matches. If Dana immediately stuck Punk in a title match and Punk praised it as a genius promotional move, that would be hypocrisy.

The distinction for me isn't whether its pushed as a title match (highly unlikely) or as the near equivalent as a co-main event (highly likely), but rather him grabbing what I imagine is a pretty large chunk of change from the pool available to talent on the shows he'll work. If he's going in with the same type of contract that someone middle of the road on TUF or another relatively unknown fighter is getting that's great. But I'll believe it when I see those details reported.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's like you refuse to see the nuance of the point. Yes, he thought it was shitty that WWE kept building its big Wrestlemania matches around making part-timers look strong. But that's really not the same as saying part-timers are assholes for wanting to work big matches. If Dana immediately stuck Punk in a title match and Punk praised it as a genius promotional move, that would be hypocrisy.

I think you're creating nuance where there is none. It's a pretty simple case of Punk complaining about part timers taking money and spots from full timers. Whether that complaint is directed towards the company or the part timers is irrelevant. Twice now, first in comics now in MMA, he has come in and taken money and a spot from a full timer who is more deserving. There's no nuance in that, it's a guy being a hypocrite because in the end all that matters to him is the money he's making, not who is actually getting their spot taken.

"Jason David Frank, better known to many as the Green Ranger in the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers TV Show, wants to fight CM Punk in his first professional MMA Fight in the UFC Octagon."

He's been angling at Punk since he left WWE. I'm guessing their might be heat between the 2 from doing the Wizard Worlds convention circuit. It's a guess on my part . Plus Tommy is looking for a pay day.

Does Punk belong in the UFC? Obviously, no. That being said, they're not going to put him in with a complete can. It's going to be someone with some skill and very limited experience. He'll either win or he'll lose. He's not going to get murdered or maimed in 30 seconds.

He's probably going to look hesitant and nervous, then the flurry that happens in just about every low level MMA fight, and it will either end there, or they'll gas out. It'll be a spectacle, it probably won't be pretty, and after everyone will say they respect him for having the balls to get in there and get punched in the face.

The distinction for me isn't whether its pushed as a title match (highly unlikely) or as the near equivalent as a co-main event (highly likely), but rather him grabbing what I imagine is a pretty large chunk of change from the pool available to talent on the shows he'll work. If he's going in with the same type of contract that someone middle of the road on TUF or another relatively unknown fighter is getting that's great. But I'll believe it when I see those details reported.

Listening to Punk's interview with Ariel Helwani, it was pretty clear he was getting paid what he thought he was worth (even though he kept insisting it wasn't about the money). I imagine he'll have pay-per-view points, which no "middle of the road on TUF" would get (with the possible exception of Kimbo Slice). It remains to be seen whether the Reebok deal applies to Punk.

He's not going to get murdered or maimed in 30 seconds.

You say that, but somebody I know entered his first MMA fight a few months back and in 9 seconds was knocked out cold and fractured his jaw in the process. Unless you were being literal of course...

Literal, in response to people figuring he'll be hurt in the cage. He could very well get ko'd by his first punch.

David Armas, one of Jason David Frank's sparring partners (and friend) talked to Dana White tonight. Armas was there because Charles Oliveira fought tonight, and Oliveira is part of that close-knit Houston MMA scene. Armas is associated with Jorge "Macaco" Patino. Anyways Armas is claiming that White thinks Punk-Frank is a "great fight". I hope he's not bullshitting, and UFC goes all the way, and actually makes it happen in 2015. Countdown would be amazing.

David Armas, one of Jason David Frank's sparring partners (and friend) talked to Dana White tonight. Armas was there because Charles Oliveira fought tonight, and Oliveira is part of that close-knit Houston MMA scene. Armas is associated with Jorge "Macaco" Patino. Anyways Armas is claiming that White thinks Punk-Frank is a "great fight". I hope he's not bullshitting, and UFC goes all the way, and actually makes it happen in 2015. Countdown would be amazing.

Wrote about this more in the new F4W that isn't out yet, this is, no bullshit, the only fight that makes sense. Frank is 1-0, five years older than Punk, fairly beat up physically but he's by far the biggest name they could get and a lifelong martial artist. Otherwise you're risking some unknown newbie beats Punk and is eaten alive in his next fight.