Pro Wrestling Only

Punk to UFC

Shining Wiz

They can put Punk in against anyone and it sells. The Power Ranger might be a good choice, but he doesn't really add much to the promotional equation really.

And even if he beats Punk, he gets eaten alive in his next fight if there is one.

It certainly gives Punk lots of material for promos.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can put Punk in against anyone and it sells. The Power Ranger might be a good choice, but he doesn't really add much to the promotional equation really.

i think you strongly underestimate the power of 90s nostalgia for a lot of the target audience here

the whole green ranger saga (heel turn -> redemption) was pretty much the peak of the power rangers craze as i recall. definitely a lot of memories there!

i think you strongly underestimate the power of 90s nostalgia for a lot of the target audience here

the whole green ranger saga (heel turn -> redemption) was pretty much the peak of the power rangers craze as i recall. definitely a lot of memories there!

Yeah, guy bought a Maserati just from going to conventions.

• 3 months later...

Interview with Piper about Punk in UFC. Here's an excerpt:

“The bottom line is, don’t be a lifer,” Piper said. “Get in, get a business, get five years of what you can and get out. What happens is they start listening to the promoters, ‘You’ll get the next main event.’ And then, all of a sudden you become a lifer. That’s the kiss of death there. Get in shape, go in, get the money, get out and have a wonderful life.”

I wonder if Piper gave this advice to Punk and whether it had an influence on his decision to leave WWE and join UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/rowdy-roddy-piper-on-cm-punks-ufc-jump-thats-what-a-mans-made-out-of