Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-06-29-RINGS] Volk Han vs Mitsuya Nagai

PeteF3

Shit hot crowd. Unsurprising seeing as they typically get louder than usual when of their Japan hometown boys is facing an alien. Nagai is such a great Han opponent and this might not be their 93 match, but the key word is "might". I love how Volk makes a submission move look like the end of the world by popping it out of nowhere and giving the guy a panic. Tremendous near 10-count or two in this as well. Who works sub-fifteen minute matches better than Han, ever?

• 2 months later...

I liked the '94 match better too, but this is the closest Nagai comes to winning one of these. He still seems overmatched, but he gets Han's attention first with an anklelock counter and then a big kick to the head that puts Han down for a 9.5 count. Han looks like the superior athlete but still has to use guts and guile to pull out a sleeper for the win. Sort of a tighter, lesser version of the UWFI/NJPW vets tag that took place a few days prior.

• 1 year later...

I love Volk Han. The very first move that the Russian did had me marking out. He's such an original thinker, his brain is wired differently to other men. With his skills he just needs someone to hang with in order to produce a good match. Nagai was up to the task, and helped provide some quality matwork and reversals.

• 1 year later...

Volk Han vs Mitsuya Nagai - RINGS 6/29/96

The Russian Wizard of the Mat is the gift that keeps on giving. That first move where he catches the foot, kicks out the plant leg and turn into a single leg crab had me going crazy and calling for the bell. It should have been the finish. The ankle crosses, double wristlocks, the chokes (watch how he does not let his ankles get crossed), the most vicious figure-4s in the game. Did you see that Nagai figure-4 that had Volk Han lunging for the ropes. No one better at shoot style selling than the Soviet Maestro. He treats serious holds as serious holds. He loves to get knockdown mid-match. See how he was knocked loopy and in a later stand up just drops to his knees to get back on the match. The finish with him reaching all the way back to choke out Nagai was amazing. Excellent Volk Han showcase. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1996-06-29-RINGS] Volk Han vs Mitsuya Nagai
  • 10 months later...

While not at the level of their 1993 match, I enjoyed this more than the 1994 match. Nagai delivers yet another top-notch underdog performance and nearly has you (the viewer) convinced that he can beat Han at his own game...or via strikes, which he stuns Han with on a number of occasions. Han goes from his standing leglock to the single leg crab but Nagai counters with the heel hook, albeit briefly, before Han regains control and slaps on a neat cross heel hook. Loved him pulling Nagai down with the rear choke...only for Nagai to fight his way and send Han reeling after the ropes with a modified leglock. Han utilizing the full nelson hold with the legs for added leverage is another key Volk Han characteristic. Great armbar transition out of Nagai's rear waistlock and the finish was great, where you've got Nagai trying to transition his hold into something fancy and Han turning around, looking at him, grabbing the choke and tapping him. Enough playtime. Terrific match.