Pro Wrestling Only

The booking of Daniel Bryan going forward

shoe

I wasn't talking about all that, bro. I'm just mentioning it cause it seems like everyone forgot about it. To me, it'd be bad booking for Bryan to NOT want to get revenge on Kane.

It makes sense but it's something no one wants to see because Kane is the least over wrestler in the company and has zero value. Some things should just be forgotten.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brock vs. Bryan is a natural program for SummerSlam IF Brock stays a heel and he re-signs with the company. But I think we should go under the working assumption he won't be with WWE after WrestleMania until we hear otherwise, because if the Royal Rumble proved anything, it is that WWE will willingly book themselves into a corner for short-term gain without thinking about the consequences.

Regarding Bryan's health, I wouldn't be surprised if WWE management are suspicious about whether his body holds up long term, because they don't trust the muscle activation treatment he's got from non-WWE doctors, but if they really saw him as the guy, it wouldn't stop them booking him that way.

I get the worry about Bryan, and Bryan vs. Brock built right for Summerslam could have been AMAZING, but will Brock be there then? Unless they know that for SURE, Bryan needs to be at Mania vs Brock (it has an all-time Mania match look to it)...shit, have him win the title at Mania and then lose it to Rollins via MITB (if they are worried about Bryan's health)....then insert Reigns into the three way feud (the Shield hate is still there) and see how thigns go...If Bryan looks to be really healthy, let him have a run and get the belt back (he had that taste at Mania and now healthy is pissed and looking to kill Rollins) and see how it goes.and give Reigns time to get more seasoned....if he cant, insert Reigns and continue forward, replacing Bryan with Ambrose / Ziggler / Wyatt as another contender

Since Kane was the one who put Bryan out and cost him the belt, it makes sense to have them fight and since its a casket match, I'd imagine Bryan "shutting the lid" on Kane will also be the finish of their story.

Yes, this part HAS to be done, I agree completely Johnny...they need to have Bryan get his revenge on Kane putting him out of action...and a PPV Casket Match for revenge doenst sound like a bad idea seeing their kayfabe past..but after that, they need to get him into that main event somehow...if Brock is leaving for UFC, they have one shot at Bryan vs. Brock (which I think has MOTY written all over it) and it could at Wrestlemania...it writes itself...

I'm with Johnny. The Kane thing had to happen and it was a very strong way to bring him back and I think a very successful one. He was MUCH more dominantly put over Kane than he had been the year before when he was running away from him like a cowardly coward and it set him up perfectly to enter and win the Ru.....

I just think it's a bad idea to pair the most over guy in the company who's coming back for a 9 month injury with the least over guy in the company right off the bat.

WWE has such a problem with pairing guys together that probably shouldn't be together, guys who can't afford to lose like Amborse and Wyatt. Feeding Kane to Bryan, especially when there's a storyline reason behind it and when they see Kane as a relatively safe worker, was not the worth thing in the world because at least they were feeding someone to Bryan instead of going even stevens.

What is it that WWE finds so appealing about a Bryan/Sheamus program for WrestleMania? This will be the third time they've run it.

Kind of goes with their motif of being behind the times - "The fans were really mad about this match being soo fast at Mania 29, they will LOVE us for giving it them now..."

Sheamus's card positioning is simply what they want the lid on Daniel Bryan's potential to be -- upper midcard mechanic. Fans want more, so they have to tell us how wrong we are until we get the message. He doesn't belong with the real stars, he belongs with the guys that we have been calling our future for a half-decade or more. Strange how that future never quite comes.

Sheamus's card positioning is simply what they want the lid on Daniel Bryan's potential to be -- upper midcard mechanic. Fans want more, so they have to tell us how wrong we are until we get the message. He doesn't belong with the real stars, he belongs with the guys that we have been calling our future for a half-decade or more. Strange how that future never quite comes.

This right here is the reason why I will sing the songs of praise the day Vince McMahon is gone with all his shitty comedy and hopefully "sports entertainment" branding. I'm far from being a Trips fan but I have to give the devil his due in the fact he does seem to be want to get back to basics in the wrestling department (ala NXT). Of course, how that plays out AFTER Vince is gone on the main roster remains to be seen.

I could give zero fucks about Sheamus vs Bryan. It's a waste of Bryan's abilities if he's truly healthy. If you're going to put Bryan in a upper midcard level you've got Devitt or KENTA or even Neville down in NXT that would be way more entertaining than Sheamus vs. Bryan.

And three times together? I thought Vince "couldn't got back to the well"...

I think WWE management view Sheamus and Daniel Bryan at roughly the same level. Two guys they gave the big push to, who didn't really get over with the masses. SummerSlam 2013 drew disappointingly with Bryan on top. The feud with Orton really only drew well at Hell In A Cell, which coincided with Cena's return and Shawn Michaels as special guest referee. I could see Vince looking at those numbers and getting confirmation bias, which allows him to drown out the noise of all those Yes chants in the arenas every week.

I think WWE management view Sheamus and Daniel Bryan at roughly the same level. Two guys they gave the big push to, who didn't really get over with the masses. SummerSlam 2013 drew disappointingly with Bryan on top. The feud with Orton really only drew well at Hell In A Cell, which coincided with Cena's return and Shawn Michaels as special guest referee. I could see Vince looking at those numbers and getting confirmation bias, which allows him to drown out the noise of all those Yes chants in the arenas every week.

Here is the thing, though. When you condition the fan base as a whole that it's almost all the time LOLCENAWINS - especially after what they did to Bray - and up until then Bryan was being treated as sideshow material with Kane why should you expect buys on a PPV to meet your high expectations?

EDIT: Got timeline mixed up

Edited by sporadic

I don't see how Bryan can be blamed for a low buy rate when Brock/Cena didn't draw at NOC. The ppv business is dead besides some stubborn people who still pay full price for Mania.

I'm wiling to bet most of the pre Rumble bump they got in subscriptions were people wanting to see Bryan finally get to win the match he got screwed out of last year. How do you think those people feel right now?

They used Bryan to pop a rating for Smackdown's move to Thursday, and they used him to sell the Rumble knowing they were going to shit on him the whole time. It's pretty sickening that they hate their own fan base for choosing a guy who doesn't have da look.

I don't want to hear about his neck injury being a reason to keep him down. Austin's neck was far more screwed up, but they pushed him back to the top because WCW would've kicked their ass otherwise.

No they shouldn't push him as a top act. How is his neck anyway? They don't want to miss the boat on the golden boy they've been pushing for two years now. The execution of the rumble was terrible but I can understand why they stuck with Reigns.

I would put Bryan against Rusev.

I completely disagree with this.

Bryan should be the top act at least until SummerSlam. He is cleared to wrestle, so the neck is fine and there is no way in hell that Roman would be hurt by waiting another year. He's simply not ready.

Bryan's neck issues were cured like 7 months ago when he had neck surgery. getting kind of sick of people talking about Bryan's neck issues like they are on par with Austin's or Edge's. My understanding is that his neck surgery was more in line with Cena's in 2007.

What kept him on the shelf was that he had a pinched nerve as a result of the swelling in his neck and because nerves are funny it took time for the big nerve in his arm to regain function. I think all the naturopath did is find a physical therapy routine that was able to get the nerves in his arm working again. Bottom line is that his neck is fully healed and he's probably no more likely to reinjure it than Cena.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Bryan going forward.

If they are going with Reigns as the top guy starting at WrestleMania, can they really afford to keep Bryan around as a pushed but below main event level babyface? I think that is where they would like to have him. However, even if they put him in the Sheamus level area, if they don’t put him there in a way that completely destroys his heat and character he will continue to be just as over as he is now. Exiling him to the part of the card that Sheamus resides alone won’t kill his heat. Having him team with Ziggler or wrestle Cesaro and Harper (both of which are probably slightly lower positions than a feud with Sheamus in terms of visibility) won’t hurt his heat. As long as the fans are still nuts for him, the more difficult it will be for Reigns to succeed.

At the same time, if they do go the route of killing him Bryan off completely they better do it in the right way. If it is obvious they are trying to kill his heat and the fans don’t buy it, then he is only going to get more over. They really are stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

The answer would be to pull back on the Reigns push and go with the hot hand in Bryan for a while. Let Reigns attempt to get over the way he initially got over. He got over by not being overexposed, not talking, and just destroying guys with his few quality signature moves. Ride Bryan on top for as long as it lasts and/or until (if) Reigns gets over as a main event level face. If that happens, then problem solved. Bryan can be in that pushed, but not top guy spot without being a threat to Reigns. If Reigns doesn’t work out, then they go with Bryan as long as possible. Doesn’t look like they are going to do that.

I don't see any way Reigns gets over as a top of the card face. The fans know what's going on, and they are outright rejecting it. This overpush has caused Reigns to lose the adult male fans, and I don't think he ever had the younger audience behind him the way Cena and Bryan do. All that he'll have left is 30 fat chicks screaming for him. They may as well change his gimmick to the fat chick thriller.

No they shouldn't push him as a top act. How is his neck anyway? They don't want to miss the boat on the golden boy they've been pushing for two years now. The execution of the rumble was terrible but I can understand why they stuck with Reigns.

Bryan should be the top act at least until SummerSlam. He is cleared to wrestle, so the neck is fine and there is no way in hell that Roman would be hurt by waiting another year. He's simply not ready.

They've already gone through with it. Back peddling on reigns now will make everything ten times worse. Bryan can still be slotted into the main event for summer slam and we know the audience will buy it. Reigns doesn't have that luxury.

They've already gone through with it. Back peddling on reigns now will make everything ten times worse. Bryan can still be slotted into the main event for summer slam and we know the audience will buy it. Reigns doesn't have that luxury.

I've got two words for you, "Injury angle".

Summerslam 2013 actually did not draw a disappointing buyrate. The initial numbers were disappointing but they were later revised.

You dont need to back peddal...keep Reigns in the main event, not just as THE GUY, put Bryan over Brock at Mania (place will go nuts) but keep Reigns right there as well..After Mania and no Brock you have three TOP babyfaces now to go with in Reigns / Bryan / Cena (of course). You can ride the Bryan wave till it subsides or he does get hurt again, while also continuing to build Reigns up more and more so he really ready for that spot by then....that way your project with Reigns is still good and doesnt look bad, and things can continue forward.