Pro Wrestling Only

The Rock-Kevin Nash heat in 2002

MoS

I have heard about it a few times, but do not know exactly what happened. Was there a backstage fight? Did they shoot on each other in promos, ala Shawn's "Sunny Days" comment? If someone could tell me exactly what happened on Raw or SD! as a part of said heat, I will be very grateful, as I want to see it for myself and will check those shows out. And if someone was reading The Observer back then, can they tell me what happened backstage relating to the fight? What their complaints were? Whom did the wrestlers support? I imagine Triple H, for obvious reasons, supported Nash.

I thought about this because there are reports floating about that Rock got legit pissed at Philadelphia booing him and was thinking about the other times Rock has got pissed.

Nash told everyone for years in WCW that one day he would go to the WWF and shoot on Rock by calling him a bitch. This got back to Rock when they were finally paired up in a segment in the WWF, so Rock beat him to the punch. Nash was pretty angry about it because he said it wasn't consistent with his character to not rush the ring and attack someone who said something like that. Then, they had a singles match on Smackdown later that week and Rock told Nash he'd let him get his three big moves in and asked him what they were. Nash took that as an insult and responded that since it was his first featured match in WWE, he would like to do all six of his moves.

I think it all blew over quickly, but that's what happened.

Nash told everyone for years in WCW that one day he would go to the WWF and shoot on Rock by calling him a bitch. This got back to Rock when they were finally paired up in a segment in the WWF, so Rock beat him to the punch. Nash was pretty angry about it because he said it wasn't consistent with his character to not rush the ring and attack someone who said something like that. Then, they had a singles match on Smackdown later that week and Rock told Nash he'd let him get his three big moves in and asked him what they were. Nash took that as an insult and responded that since it was his first featured match in WWE, he would like to do all six of his moves.

Not consistent with his character? He was a heel in WCW that NEVER ran in on his own and attacked a babyface, just stood on the ramp or in the ring with the typical angry heel look of "Oh I am gonna get you for that, but not now!)....what a crock of shit excuse that was..

Edited by Smack2k

To add to what Loss said, doesn't this also have to do with Terry Funk?

During a segment on WCW, Nash changed directions during a segment, shooting on Funk. Funk wasn't expecting it, and was lost. Nash bragged about getting the better of Funk, an all-time great promo. As Loss said, Nash would then tell folks that he would/could do the same to The Rock. Rock knew this and the Funk story, and well, you know the rest.

Interesting. Yes, his character was never selling his opponent's insults and laughing in their faces and being a smug bitch about it, making his opponent look bad. It was a trait his good buddy Triple H also had.

As a matter of interest, did he get to use all six of his moves?

I remember Nash tweeting Rock after his WM 29 injury and wishing him to get better. He does like to have friends in high places.

And I know I am being a complete mark for this non-event, but whom did the wrestlers side with? Was that reported?

Interesting. Yes, his character was never selling his opponent's insults and laughing in their faces and being a smug bitch about it, making his opponent look bad. It was a trait his good buddy Triple H also had.

As a matter of interest, did he get to use all six of his moves?

I remember Nash tweeting Rock after his WM 29 injury and wishing him to get better. He does like to have friends in high places.

And I know I am being a complete mark for this non-event, but whom did the wrestlers side with? Was that reported?

Funny that in 2002, when Rock isnt an A list star yet that Nash says one thing....queue 10 years later when he is and the "Hope you get better buddy" tweets come rolling in....

Ah, okay. Storm in a teacup, I guess.

What do people here think of Rock jumping the gun? I am sure that had it happened today, when everything is so controlled and micro-managed, it would be considered hugely unprofessional. But, given Nash's record of undercutting opponents in promos, maybe he had it coming? Although, I do believe that Rock was so good at working the mic then that even if Nash had struck first, Rock would still have got his heat back and then some. I have no doubt that one way or another, the segment would have ended with Rock on top and Nash fuming.

And fuck Nash for saying his character wouldn't stand for it. As Smack2k said above, his character was that he would attack in groups and often attack sneakily. Plus, I would argue that he never had met anyone like The Rock in WCW before; WCW simply did not have cocky faces who ran their mouths and talked trash. Unless those cocky faces were Nash, Hogan and co. I honestly see no locus standi here.

Not consistent with his character? He was a heel in WCW that NEVER ran in on his own and attacked a babyface, just stood on the ramp or in the ring with the typical angry heel look of "Oh I am gonna get you for that, but not now!)....what a crock of shit excuse that was..

Didnt he do a run in 98 and Powerbomb Hogan? I dont recall him being with anyone as Bret was on the opposing side.

Didnt he do a run in 98 and Powerbomb Hogan? I dont recall him being with anyone as Bret was on the opposing side.

He ran in and powerbombed Sting at Stampede '98 so Savage could win and he then attacked Hogan the next night vs Savage

Both were as a face though and both guys were already beat up…as a heel (like 02 WWE Nash was) he never ran in to face someone heads up and waiting for him so that was a bullshit "I got served by Rock so I will try to cover so the guys still think I am big time" excuse

He ran in and powerbombed Sting at Stampede '98 so Savage could win and he then attacked Hogan the next night vs Savage

Both were as a face though and both guys were already beat up…as a heel (like 02 WWE Nash was) he never ran in to face someone heads up and waiting for him so that was a bullshit "I got served by Rock so I will try to cover so the guys still think I am big time" excuse

Nash was THE big time as Diesel but once he left for WCW it didnt seem to me he was the same deal. I know he had the belt a few times but in 1995 he was above everyone else but the rest of his career he was under others.

Kevin Nash in WCW was a much bigger star than Diesel.

I think he meant that in WWF Diesel was booked as the main man, whereas in WCW Nash was always playing second fiddle to someone and never the centrepiece of the show, even if they had a greater reach in WCW at the time.

Sort of like how Christian is better known generally even when getting lost in the pack in WWE, rather than in TNA where although he was treated as a genuine main event act and seen as a star the reduced viewer ship meant he wasn't really.

Is that the famous backstage promo where Rock just rips the nWo to shreds?

Separate incidents. Rock's problems with Shawn go back to 1985, when the Midnight Rockers were working a show promoted by Lia Maivia, Shawn was being the worst version of Shawn and a teenage Rock wanted to kick his ass. Most of their issues, though, were in 1997, with Shawn and HHH pretty determined to make sure Rock never became a top guy. Bret was supposed to pin Rock on an episode of RAW and nixed it so Rocky could win by DQ, thinking he gained nothing by beating Rock but it could hurt Rock. HHH and Shawn were pretty angry at Bret over that one for whatever reason, possibly because Bret had refused to put over HHH in the European title tournament a month earlier.