Pro Wrestling Only

WrestleMania Predictions

goodhelmet

Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper vs. Wade Barrett vs. Stardust vs. R-Truth vs. Dean Ambrose

Prediction: Don't know to be honest

Wishful Thinking: Daniel Bryan (Holding out for a Nakamura type run for Bryan)

What on earth does that mean

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now. And you know that's not possible anyways. Even at its absolute height the IC Title was never seen as anywhere close to the world belt. Ambrose should win the ladder royal since the actual story here is supposed to be him chasing after Barrett. Or at least it was, before they turned it into a Robert Altman movie.

Because nothing can ever change?

What is the point of putting Bryan in the IC Title picture if you are not going to give him the title and make it a big deal? Especially if Brock is staying and may keep the title. If you do that, Bryan can defend the IC Title in the main events that Brock skips.

That may be wishful thinking, but it is a possibility.

Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper vs. Wade Barrett vs. Stardust vs. R-Truth vs. Dean Ambrose

Prediction: Don't know to be honest

Wishful Thinking: Daniel Bryan (Holding out for a Nakamura type run for Bryan)

What on earth does that mean

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now. And you know that's not possible anyways. Even at its absolute height the IC Title was never seen as anywhere close to the world belt. Ambrose should win the ladder royal since the actual story here is supposed to be him chasing after Barrett. Or at least it was, before they turned it into a Robert Altman movie.

Do you think the booking for the IC has been worthy of life long praise? Or just hate Robert Altman? 😂

That is one of my least favorite things that they do all too often, the way they carelessly show their hand based on the outcomes of some of the undercard matches. I'm not sure how to prevent that sort of thing (better booking, maybe?) It may also just be a case of we the viewers being too familiar with the company's common tendencies.

I'd imagine most of us will be able to accurately predict the outcome of the main based on who goes over in Rusev v. Cena and the stupid fucking ladder match.

Reading the tea leaves of the card is always part of wrestling fandom tho. The longer you stay with a promotion, the easier it is to read.

If anything, the last year or so of WWE cards hasn't been fairly predictable. I think they've been playing that up a bit at times for the audience.

I think there's a philosophy that "un-predictably" was part of the package behind the late 90's boom. And occasionally they try to manufacture it.

Just a thought, I have no concrete evidence. I feel like I've seen a bit of subtle stuff along those lines tho..

I definitely think Hideo Itami has a real shot at winning, going with him reather than somebody who has been earmarked to join the main roster at any time now (Neville), shows that they have incredible interest in making him a star.

I feel exactly the opposite. I think it's just trying to garner a little more Network interest in Japan. Same reason for Fujinami being inducted in the HOF. I don't think they see much in Itami and I don't really disagree with them, so throw him in this match and it's not a big deal when he doesn't do anything memorable. They did have him do the GTS on that house show, though, so I may be dead wrong.

Tag team 4-way: Cesaro & Kidd deserve to retain, and they will.

Divas tag: AJ/Paige should win, and they will. Bellas are a better act right now, and AJ is the most obnoxious onscreen act in wrestling, but I like Paige and babyfaces will go over given the irrelevant nature of the match.

7-way ladder match: Bryan will win, and should. I remain hopeful that they're working to bring prestige back to the title and give Bryan the Nakamura push. I just can't see any of the other six winning it.

Battle Royal: I guess the safe money is on Big Show, but I'll take a guess and say that they repeat Axel's angle from Rumble by having Sheamus jump him during his entrance, leading to a Sheamus win. Wishful Thinking: Mark Henry, joined in victory by his awesome son, who has replaced Cole on commentary and spends the rest of the show cackling.

John Cena vs. Rusev: Cena will win, and should. Rusev can be moved into so many feuds right now. He could be a great world champ a year from now. They have to get the US title off him eventually, and there's more money in someone new beating Cena for the belt later this year than there is in Rusev retaining.

Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton: I'll say Rollins wins (and should), because I don't think he's cashing in on this show. These two have a great match in them, but what a lame feud this has been.

Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt: Undertaker wins, and should. Rebuild him to retirement at Cowboys Stadium. Sucks to be Wyatt right now, but he can still be in title matches by year's end.

HHH vs. Sting: Sting wins (and should) a slow, weapons-filled brawl that ends up twice as long as it should be, to build to the double retirement match of Sting-Taker at WM32.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns: My actual prediction: Reigns wins via double turn, with Brock remaining a silent killer tweener. That's what will happen, and it's probably the best option for now. My original prediction days ago was that Roman wins as a babyface and that the crowd is quelled by new champs Bryan and Cena joining him in the ring for the ultimate babyface finale. But for some reason it feels like they may have changed the finish this week. That Grantland interview with Heyman and Reigns felt very “blurred lines” worked shoot, brother.

My Picks:

Tag Title Match - Cesaro/Kidd will retain. I actually think Matadores have the next best chance which is telling. The real question is whether or not this will be turned into some 12-man tag with involving the seconds.

Battle Royal - My early pick was Ryback and I'm sticking with it, even if I Mizdow and Show have strong "cases" using WWE logic to win (actually Mizdow should win using real logic, but I digress). Not only do I not think Itami has any chance, I actually think it would be BAD for him to win. They'd be far better off using the match as a vehicle to get him over and set him up with a feud if they intend on keeping him on the main roster (I don't think they do), than having him win outright. One thing about this match is that if they aren't carefully they could badly telegraph the finish of the main here, because if Show wins I have to assume they are staying the course with Reigns winning clean over Brock as a babyface.

Divas Tag - I have to assume Paige/AJ are winning, and wouldn't be shocked to see the person who takes the fall work Nikki on Raw.

Ladder Match - Bryan will win. Hopefully the match isn't overrun with stupid comedy. This is the sort of match that could kill the crowd for the entire night if they aren't careful so it needs to be handled smartly. I expect it will get a lot of time, which could be bad for the health of all involved, especially Ziggler, Bryan, Barrett and Harper.

Cena v. Rusev - There is absolutely no good reason for Cena to win, but he will. The angle this week on Raw was great, but I almost hate that it happened. In a weird way it takes away from this match as I now have little-to-no hope for Rusev to retain. If Rusev wins clean here he is made for life. If he loses it may be another year before he's in a position to be a main event level guy again.

Rollins v. Orton - I actually think you can argue both guys "need" the win from a WWE perspective, but Rollins needs it more. I will go with him, but I think this is the most difficult to predict match on the show. I suspect this will get a lot of time, and that has me worried, because while I think these guys can have a great match, I have no clue how this crowd will react to Orton. This is also another match that might change the odds on the main event, because if Orton wins I think Seth is cashing in either tonight or Monday.

Taker v. Wyatt - Never should have been booked and probably wouldn't have been booked if not for the selfishness of HHH. I'm not a Bray fan per se, but he really should win this, and even then a win over Taker at this point means less than it has in years. That said I believe Taker will win, and that win will eventually be used to set up the match he should have had this year (to the extent that he should have worked at all at least). Bray will have had Mania matches with Cena and Taker and gotten nothing out of them at all.

Sting v. HHH - Will be Aubrey's favorite match on the show, featuring Flair's best opponent, against one of the great ring generals of all time. More seriously this is a match no one was clamoring to see. I talk to more "casual"/"non-hardcore" fans during Mania week than any time during the year, and it is amazing the number of conversations I've had about this show this week that have started with "why isn't Sting wrestling Taker?" The answer of course is that HHH wanted a high profile match. Had they not moved two matches to the pre-show I would have been slightly more optimistic about the chances of this being good, but now I think it has the potential to be even worse than many of us fear. Sting will win and people will pretend this is evidence of the benevolence of HHH, ignoring that the very existence of the match is evidence of his ego still fucking with shows even in semi-retirement. Sting v. Taker will take place next year off of the back of this.

Reigns v. Lensar - Reigns wins via heel turn with the help of the also turning Paul Heyman. If they try and have Reigns go over clean as a whistle on Brock with the build that match has gotten I think it's almost a sure thing that he's a victim of a mob hit. There is stupidity and then there is the presentation of Reigns up to this point which is at a completely different level from stupid. The possibility of The Rock being there, and the looming Rollins cash-in possibility make this an interesting match, and almost make me want to say that Brock will win. But I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming the heel turn they need to do is what they will do.

Tag match - Cesaro and Kidd should retain. They could actually have a good title run in them potentially.

Battle Royal - you can advance the Miz/Mizdow story without either winning, which I think they'll do. Since this was moved to the preshow, Sheamus will not be showing up. I assume Ryback gets the win.

Divas tag - one of AJ or Paige pinning Nikki while pissing their partner off, setting up a three way.

Ladder match - Bryan should win, and get destroyed by Sheamus showing up tomorrow night. Also, someone is getting injured in this and will miss some time.

Cena v Rusev - if the rumour that they want to put more emphasis on the secondary titles, Cena winning could make sense. Then again, Rusev going all the way to Mania 32 undefeated could be good too. I assume Cena wins, but this is the biggest unknown on the card for me.

Rollins v orton - shame they messed up such a simple grudge over te last few weeks, but this could still steal the show. I think Rollins goes over.

Taker v Wyatt - this could be ugly. I like the idea that Wyatt wins and sends Taker to Mania 32 on a losing streak leading into his retirement match, but I can't see them doing that. So, they'll continue to not use Wyatt right at all, and keep thinking he gets enough just being in the ring with guys like Taker.

Sting v HHH - sting is 55, hadn't had a great match in 20 years, and was always a guy who great wrestlers could have great matches with rather than someone who always had great matches. He appears to have gotten himself in great shape though, so that's good. That being said, I don't have high expectations. HHH is someone who I've appreciated but never loved I the ring, and I just don't see these two putting on anything great. I'll guess ref bump, sledge hammer attempt, successful baseball bat swing, and a victory for Sting.

All that being said, I suspect the entrances to be awesome.

Reigns v Lesnar - if you put a gun to my head, I say Lesnar wins. It seems like someone since the Rumble got the point that Reigns can't be what they want him to be, even if only because the crowd doesn't want to fully buy what he's selling yet. He's going to be te man at some point soon, but I think they see that as he's currently presented, he can't be. And I can't see them signing lesnar for three years just to have him lose here after getting all that publicity this week (and Reigns has gotten ZERO buzz all week from what I've seen). I don't think Heyman turns, and I think Brock just keeps acting like brock and becomes the biggest face going.

Possible alternate plan - reigns wins with Rock's help, and becomes the secondary story to Rock/Brock being set up for next year. Either way, reigns is not going to come out of Mania as the man.

The more I think about this show, with the way the build has went, the way his push has went, I think I can see Seth Rollins holding the World Title as Mania fades out. I think there's a possibility that this is the show that is remembered as Rollins' coronation, not Reigns'

EDIT: I'll expand on this a bit further. Rollins has until July (?) to cash in MITB. If you look at your options out of Mania and you have Reigns as World Champ; If he turns heel, the money would be against babyface Brock at Summerslam, for the belt. Along the way, there's potentially a babyfaced Big Show and Randy Orton in his way, maybe Ryback. I think, if you're doing the turn, you have to keep the belt on Reigns past July so we can get Reigns/Lesnar 2 which leaves Rollins without a plan unless they're going to hotshot the belt around until Lesnar is back. If Reigns stays babyface, then you can have Rollins cash in whenever he likes and that's your summer title feud, I guess but, with Brock re-signing, the potential backlash against Reigns on these next two shows (and beyond), I don't see this show ending in your basic "Here's your guy getting the belt, power up the confetti" I think the variables are different, the situation is different and that briefcase needs to be used sooner rather than later. Even if it's as simple as Reigns pinning Brock and Rollins picking the bones, I think it's the most likely scenario if you look ahead to the next few months and the heel/face alignments.

I'm rambling a bit there and, maybe I'm missing something really obvious (it's very likely) but I think this Mania ends with a heel on top with the CEO in his corner, thus completing Rollins' transformation into 2000 HHH.

Prediction: Sting

Thoughts: Put HHH over Sting. Completing the heel HHH story is better at this point than giving Sting a win in a match nobody wanted to begin with. He is getting pops because he's Sting, not because of the story here. This way HHH can get booed out the building and Sting can get his token round of applause moment after the loss where he thanks the crowd, with the crowd getting what they really wanted later on (next).

Prediction: Taker

Thoughts: Wyatt doesn't need to win as much as he needs to make Taker vulnerable and on verge of extinction. For legacy sake keep Taker with 1 Mania loss. Post-match Sting saves Taker from some crazy Wyatt hocus pocus shit and crowd gets to pop big for their Sting and Taker moment. Wyatt escapes and beats Sting at Summerslam.

Prediction: Rollins

Thoughts: Somewhat complicated blow off match. Orton is almost impossible to kill his value at this point but to have him come back so close to Mania season and lose a few weeks later would put a pretty big dent in him unless he changes his character going forward. At the same token considering the build, it feels flat with him beating Rollins and going forward as same old Randy. It would also be a flat ending for Rollins to lose with the momentum he's built in what's been a well-received storyline. I would have Rollins win after all the usual interference and strength in numbers. Then reinvent Orton going forward as a Sting 96-97 character, saying hey thanks for all the help boys after years of service and then going silent from here on out. Put him on a Lesnar-like schedule while just dropping guys with RKOs during run-ins ala Sting, the one guy who did actually help him on the road to mania.

Prediction: Cena

Thoughts: I think Cena-Rusev will be like Cena-Wyatt and HHH-Lesnar with the heel winning the feud but not the Mania match. Rusev will get the win at Extreme Rules but drop at Mania. Although I don't agree with the young guy not getting the real rub and just getting "hey he was in there with Cena that's good enough" rub, I am all for Cena US champ and Bryan IC champ. They have more time to play with Rusev than they do with Rollins or Wyatt so I have no issue with having him eat one here. But a Rusev win/Cena loss could lead to Orton recruiting Cena with the pitch being he needs to switch his game up as well. This has the vets Orton and Cena eventually coming together on accord of losing their Mania matches, like the timing/idea of the Austin/HHH 2001 team was but as underdog faces just to freshen them up some.

Prediction: Reigns

Thoughts: Reigns should be made here (or rehabilitated) not with the belt but with the respect. Last summer they had him at his hottest. If they put the belt on him at MITB while he was riding that momentum and then have him lose it quick a month later at Summerslam to Lesnar, he could have kept his buzz and built towards Mania being a rematch with Lesnar where he was really ready now to finally hold the strap. But woulda/coulda/shoulda.

Have Lesnar retain with a handshake to Reigns after a war that is done good enough for the crowd to accept Reigns after eating the humble pie. Need to have a top rope superman punch somewhere in this, can't just do the usual shit against a Lesnar. Rock comes out after to congratulate both and then Reigns raises both Rock and Lesnar's hands with some tension teased. Heyman shaking his head in disbelief.

WM32

BROCK-Rock (Austin-Punk would be an unreal perfect fit too)

REIGNS-Rollins-Ambrose - Title

Sting/Taker vs. Cena/Orton

BRYAN vs. Cesaro - IC Title

Barrett/Sheamus/Ryback vs. Zayn/Neville/Itami

WYATT vs. Joe

RUSEV vs. Balor - US Title

ZIGGLER vs. Owens

Harper/Rowan vs. SHOW/KANE - Tag Titles

Andre battle royal

Girls match

Couple points...

-There will be no skinny crossfit god Rollins cashing in to end a VKM Mania.

-There will be no double turn. I doubt they have faith in the match even coming off smooth nevermind pulling that shit off. But the match doesn't even need to be smooth to begin with. Just let it be a fight without any extra pressure of special transitions or cut offs and all that shit a Cena or Orton would help bring it. Do a brawl and get the finish right.

-Predictable Mania plans stick, any potential last second changes discussed recently have to wait to get put into play on RAW for the benefit of a day to reflect. But Mania OG plans stay set in stone.

-I like Grimmas idea

Lesnar (Rooting for him as well)

Sting (Rooting for HHH. Never liked Sting)

Bryan (Rooting for him as well)

Taker (Rooting for Wyatt. Only liked Taker during is Biker run)

Cena (Rooting for Rusev)

Orton (Neutral)

Sheamus (Rooting for Henry if he's in it)

Cesaro/Kidd (Rooting for Cesaro. Never liked Kidd)

Paige/Lee (Rooting for Bellas. Like Paige. Can't stand Lee)

The Lesnar signing does makes the possibility of a Reigns/Lesnar double-turn seem awfully enticing, but I think it's just as likely that Reigns goes over clean, leading to a Rollins cash-in with the Authority's help that ends up drawing out Orton and, eventually, Rock for the save. On paper, Rock and a victorious Reigns at the closing moments of Wrestlemania serves as a call back to what they intended to be Reigns' big moment at the Rumble, as well as a sort-of blowoff for the break-up of the Shield.

I'd say that Triple H wins over Sting in some sort of screwy finish, so that the feud can (sadly) continue.

Cena goes over Rusev.

Undertaker goes over Bray Wyatt, though I'm hoping for some sort of Wyatt Family reunion for a post-match beatdown.

Bryan wins the ladder match.

Rollins sneaks away with a cheap win against Orton.

The Bellas win the Divas tag, as Paige makes like Rick Martel and leaves AJ mid-match.

I think Sheamus does end up winning the Andre battle royale, even with it being moved to the pre-show.

K-Swiss retains the tag titles.

Cesaro & Kidd vs. Usos vs. Matadores vs. New Day = Cesaro & Kidd

Andre Battle Royal = Sheamus even if he isn't announced

AJ Lee & Paige vs. The Bella Twins = AJ & Paige

Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper vs. Wade Barrett vs. Stardust vs. R-Truth vs. Dean Ambrose = Daniel Bryan

John Cena vs. Rusev = John Cena

Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton = Randy Orton

Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt = Undertaker

HHH vs. Sting = Sting

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns = Roman Reigns