Pro Wrestling Only

Pro-Wrestling Super Show #49 - The Wrestler Mr. Fuji

Click here!

PWSS49.jpg

Host: Parv (Where the Big Boys Play)
Guests: Kelly (Titans of Wrestling) & Steven Graham (All Japan Excite Series)

On the first Super Show of the monthly format, the group takes a look at the wrestler career of Mr. Fuji (mostly in the 1970’s). Kelly provides an amazing bio, including a great story on his title run in San Francisco.

Here is the amazing playlist that Kelly provided:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV6RCTo_Cd0BU1a6Snab1xk55NMKk5hNi

Finally made it through. As always I enjoy Steven's low key enthusiasm. He comes across as a man in a world he did not make, as the Titans descend.

I'll be honest. I don't listen to a lot of the main Titans show, if only because I don't have the WWF comp, so I can't follow along as much as I'd like. In general, I do like Kelly's historical retrospectives and I like them because they're good, but also because they're kind of how I'd go about it. They're human and research based as opposed to primordial wrestling knowledge based, if that makes sense. They're workmanlike.

As for Fuji, he's such a weird figure. He has the bumps you'd sort of next expect out of him, and then after that it's all stooging, all the time. Best line of the show might have been how the kamikaze clothesline obviously didn't exist. That said, there's a strange appeal to what he brought to the table, and I think you guys picked up on that. He's someone who may have been bad by a lot of metrics, but that was also very effective and I think you guys came up with answers for why and how that could be the case better than for, let's say, Strongbow.

Good show.

Finally made it through. As always I enjoy Steven's low key enthusiasm. He comes across as a man in a world he did not make, as the Titans descend.

You can say that again. I was throwing a bone by saying you could talk Fuji in the 70's and was hoping for a long talk on Fuji the manager, and then this happened. I was not prepared for the Titans in this case.

Part two will come out on Fuji the manager, so look out for that.