Pro Wrestling Only

Steve Austin and WWE

shoe

I don't know why it's sad though. His band IS successful. They aren't setting any sales records but they are touring internationally and touring with much larger acts. As far as he is concerned I would imagine they ARE equal since they were both long term dreams and he managed to make both of them a reality. Fozzy isn't going to be one of the best bands ever, but Chris Jericho ain't getting anywhere close to the top of my list of greatest wrestlers ever either.

The thing I find sad is that, judging from his podcast and books, Jericho genuinely ranks his wrestling and music success on a par with each other.

Jericho's done more in wrestling than 99.9% of guys who go into a training school and more than 99.9% of guys who start up a band. If, for instance, I somehow managed to become a best-selling author and I don't know, a Congressman, I'd consider myself a success in both fields, even if I hadn't reached the tippy tippy top that only a couple dozen people ever reached.

Jericho is a guy who is perceived by many fans, particularly the casual ones, and the company itself, as one of the biggest names of the twenty first century. He certainly thinks that too, judging from the way he talks about himself on the podcast. I've never been the biggest fan of his work, but there is no doubt he has achieved everything there is to achieve in wrestling. Pretty much anyone who has ever watched wrestling knows who Chris Jericho is. I don't think the same can be said for rock/metal fans, many of which I know from experience do not have the foggiest who Fozzy are. Plus, I would imagine a high proportion of Fozzy fans are wrestling fans first and foremost. They came to my hometown a few years ago and a friend of mine wanted to go and see them, just to see Jericho, even though he actively dislikes the band. To say he has reached the same level in both fields is ludicrous.

Jericho is a guy who is perceived by many fans, particularly the casual ones, and the company itself, as one of the biggest names of the twenty first century. He certainly thinks that too, judging from the way he talks about himself on the podcast. I've never been the biggest fan of his work, but there is no doubt he has achieved everything there is to achieve in wrestling. Pretty much anyone who has ever watched wrestling knows who Chris Jericho is. I don't think the same can be said for rock/metal fans, many of which I know from experience do not have the foggiest who Fozzy are. Plus, I would imagine a high proportion of Fozzy fans are wrestling fans first and foremost. They came to my hometown a few years ago and a friend of mine wanted to go and see them, just to see Jericho, even though he actively dislikes the band. To say he has reached the same level in both fields is ludicrous.

I was going to write something similar to this but you got it covered. Jericho has received the biggest honours an active wrestler can achieve professionally (top billing on a Wrestlemania, constant main event status, multiple world championships) and critically (WON HOF). In 30 years he'll no doubt be considered as one of the best of his generation and nobody in the metal world will remember Fozzy.

• 4 weeks later...

This could probably be its own thread (or maybe there should just be an Austin Podcast thread?) but I'm going to post this here...

Has anyone listened to the Dixie Carter interview from last week?

I listened to most of it today and I have to say Dixie Carter comes off as the biggest "money mark" I've ever heard. At one point, Austin asks, very clearly, if the learning curve for running a wrestling promotion was steep, stating that wrestlers are notorious "sharks," that there is a ton of "bullshit" (this is on the PG version of the podcast, but he still says it) in the business and asking how long it took Dixie to wade through the bullshit and really understand the business...

She responds that she understood "the bullshit" from the very beginning and that it only took her a few years to understand the business.

I can imagine Austin hearing that and just shaking his head/rolling his eyes as Dixie, moments earlier, described how Panda Energy dumped an increasing amount of money into TNA with very little of her investment paying off.

Dixie's refusal to admit that she's made any mistakes in who she trusted and who she invested in is beyond head-scratching. After hearing her thoughts on pro-wrestling, I am LESS likely to support TNA because she really seems to believe that her management of the company has been good (at one point she brings up how the real problem is in antiquated Neilsen ratings, but I've been to TNA house shows - attendance is spotty and that is far more telling than ratings).

So, I was curious, has anyone else listened to her interview? Were you as perplexed by how delirious she sounded as I was? To say that she understood the business after "a couple of years" came off as almost insulting.

To say that she understood the business after "a couple of years" came off as almost insulting.

I haven't listened to it, but what else was she supposed to say? "No, I don't understand the business." Obviously, she can't say that either.

I haven't listened.....but yea.......I really have no interest in anything that comes out of Dixie's brain. Be it Twitter, her Youshoot.....I've seen and heard enough from this silly woman

I suppose I should listen to it.....but I just know I'll become immediately infuriated. Same reason I can't listen to anything Russo related anymore

Plus, I've been pretty down on Austin's podcast lately anyway, been skipping the majority of the episodes. Shows with Kristen or Ted Fowler are fun.....other than that, his act has worn thin with me and I don't think he's a particularly good interviewer. And his shows where he's just talking to himself, reading e-mails......I generally skip

To say that she understood the business after "a couple of years" came off as almost insulting.

I haven't listened to it, but what else was she supposed to say? "No, I don't understand the business." Obviously, she can't say that either.

I don't think she needed to say "I have no clue what I'm doing," but there is zero humility in her tone or words. Compare that to William Regal, who, on Jericho's podcast, admits he "never drew a dime" and that, despite wrestling for a long time before coming to the WWE, didn't feel like he learned the style of "WWE wrestling" for years into his tenure there.

If Dixie had just once admitted that there have been bumps in the road and that the reason for those bumps was that it is difficult to navigate the waters of running a wrestling promotion, I'd respect that. Instead, she admits things haven't been smooth, but puts none of the blame on her own management skills and unfamiliarity with the business. Instead, she just says the market isn't good. Well, duh, but knowing the market wasn't good, was it wise to bring in so many high-priced talents? Was it wise to run live against RAW before the product was hot? Was it wise to try to bring back ECW for the umpteenth time thinking there was money in it that McMahon hadn't already gotten to? She had a chance to own up to how difficult her job is, but instead, says she had it all figured out in 18 months. If that's true, she doesn't come off as intelligent, she comes off as utterly incompetent.

Austin said that Triple H has changed tremendously, and he realised that because before recording his podcast with Triple H, he sat and talked to him for one and a half hours, and that conversation was much more enjoyable and interesting than the actual podcast. That is as clear a read-between-the-lines way of saying as is possible that he did not enjoy interviewing him too much because he was very guarded and careful with his answers, and, when on air, instead of conversing with him like a fellow wrestler and a buddy, acted like a very cautious corporate executive, which, to be fair, he is. That is why it is probably a good thing that Jericho is conducting podcasts for the WWE Network now; Jericho seems to be much more okay with acting like a complete and unabashed corporate shill.