Pro Wrestling Only

Which of the McMahons is the best performer?

JerryvonKramer

64 members have voted

1. 1. Best performer?

• Vince
    • Linda
    • Shane
    • Stephanie

Stephanie has certainly come into her own on the mic and can even go in the ring. The Brie match was way better than than it should have been and it wasn't becaue of Brie. You could even argue Steph has surpassed Vince on the mic.

But as far as overall performer, Vince's body of work is just too great. Almost a decade of memorable in-ring moments and matches, the Austin and Hogan matches alone are enough to tip the scales for vince. He's taken so many beatings to please the crowd and bled buckets, what other Owner of a major corporation would do such things?

Well Dixie did break her back doing that powerbomb through the table, but your point stands.

Steph may surpass her father one day, but Vince is a big part of two generations of WWF. The loud suit wearing WHATTAMANUVER announcer of the 80s and Mr. McMahon the prototype evil authority figure in the 90s.

In terms of on screen performance, Vince takes it easily by a long shot. Steph doesn't even come close on a good day to the sheer heat Vince drew in his "Mr McMahon" stint during it's height of popularity between 1997 and 2001.

In terms of actual in ring performance, whilst Vince has had more good matches (and that's by and a large a product of working with Michaels, Triple H, etc), Shane is right up there. Had Shane actually committed to wanting to wrestle full time and gone through some additional training, he'd probably have had a good run. Definitely gifted athletically, despite the lack of physical prowess on the surface.

As someone who's literally watched McMahon's all over my TV for the fifteen years I've watched WWE, Vince easily takes the cake. There are endless angles, segments, and moments that I could point to where Vince was awesome. Him coming out to "The Saints Come Marching In" prior to WM 22, the Punk segment leading to MITB 2011, walking around with a doorag and speaking slang in the Bobby Lashley feud, the family prayer before the Michaels match at Mania, the church skit with Shane in the build to Backlash 06, him coming back and decking Shane and Trips in the build to WM 16, the hilarious Angle-Austin skits from 01, etc. He's incredibly entertaining.

Stephanie has been great the last two years. When she was younger she was way more annoying and subject to shitty tit jokes from Rock and Jericho (although those weren't her fault).

Shane is entertaining too and a lot of his matches ranged from really fun to perversely entertaining. The Angle and Kane matches were completely ludicrous, but enjoyable for the bumps and shit he went through.

Linda was mostly awful. Her promos could be good at times, but she was mostly amusingly shitty as a character.

To be honest I think Steph has been slightly overrated the last two years. She has been real good but I don't see the apparent all time greatness many have talked about. But then I always thought she was underrated 10-15 years ago when she was mostly disliked. As of right now she has turn the channel heat with me, along with Hunter. Looks like she will be the on screen figurehead of the company going forward so she probably has a chance to surpass Vince in the eyes of many.

As an aside if I were Steph I would think about getting a restraining order against Geno Mrosko.

I always kinda iked Shane. Not as a worker per say but as the wanna be tough guy rich punk. He made me laugh a lot in 98 and 99

Vince was always great although the initial Austin stuff lasted way too long. He has a habit of knowing when to leave the air when he's becoming stale. Of course he has the advantage of the broadcast years which coincided with my childhood. As far as real life I couldn't disagree more with his philosophies on the business and he is annoying when talking to the media

Vince by a country mile. He's played so many roles and had so many great moments, he is really THE all-time great Authority villain.

But if the question was which one do I want to see on-screen again, that is Shane all day. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and he's the only one, aside from Linda, who could come in and actually be a fresh character on the show.

Obviously it's a pile-on by this point, but the answer is Vince, and it's not even remotely close. Vince is a very natural performer. He could have been at least semi-successful as an actor, or a politician, or a serial killer.

Linda was horrible onscreen. Her peak was kicking Vince in the balls to culminate a sub-soap opera angle where she was comatose in a wheelchair. She always came off like a battered Stepford Wife who disliked being on TV. The failed political run was just sort of icing on a depressing cake. Pity the Millionaire and all that, and it's totally unfair for me to judge, but she's always come off as a sad story to me.

Shane had moments: the Mean Street Posse was a fun angle. But he never found his place in the company, and he knew it. Shane is the only one of the bunch who on and off-screen came off as a good person. He had the Fredo thing where he was too nice a guy to be running the seedy family business. (Not that Fredo was a nice guy, but you get the point.)

Steph is the worst act in the company right now. That anyone still thinks she's a good promo is ridiculous. She's been toxic on TV for a year now, cuts embarrassingly long, dull speeches crafted by sycophants, and gets a ton of credit online for what seems to amount to little more than that one-night angle where the cops arrested her and she did a good job of showing exasperated humiliation. Week after week after week of burials. A character that never changes or develops, and makes everyone else look worse in her company. I'm sure some people would say that I'm "falling for her brilliant heel trolling", but it's just not that brilliant. She's the kid in your grade school who insisted on being the Queen in every game of make-believe. That's not a strong villain whipping us into the frenzy that will be her comeuppance. That's a paranoid narcissist who thinks little of her employees, and wants the Rock and Ronda Rousey to hoist her over the sandbox. (And Hunter's no better, and he gets no free pass for NXT.)

Like everyone else, Vince wins this for me by light years. Of the other three, Linda. Not exactly a "great" performer, but as the "Jack Tunney" of the family, she wasn't asked to do much, appeared rarely enough that something at least somewhat important was happening, and didn't become cartoonish and overbearing like the kids did. Vince became cartoonish too, but there's a difference between cartoonish Vince and cartoonish Shane/Steph.