Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-04-01-WCCW] Ric Flair vs Kevin Von Erich

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Kevin Von Erich - WCCW 4/1/83

It is always Kerry, Kerry, Kerry and David, David, David, what about Kevin Von Erich!!! Kevin is an aggressive offensive dynamo. He is not going to take any shit and quite frankly does not give a shit. He is going to punch and claw his way through any situation. He does not wait for Flair to cheat, he just attacks. I love it! Kevin Von Erich does not believe in clean breaks. He believes in winning goddamnit! I love that spunky, high energy babyface of the 80s and Kevin was probably the best because he had the cool moves, he laid his shit in and he had the aggression. Kevin is telling Flair to put up his dukes early and is totally crowding the Nature Boy. I think Flair the master of the corner in setting up a transition is really thrown off by Kevin not giving him a clean break. Their brawl out of the corner is a great heated exchange. Kevin also adds dropkicks and flying headscissors to make him a dual threat. Kevin was definitely the best brawler of the family. Flair punches Kevin right in the face and Kevin yelps "I think my nose is broke!" Flair is in the ropes and Kevin calls for the Claw. The other brothers would be dissuaded not Kein who applies and yanks Flair out! Flair desperately gets out only to be put in a sleeper, he rakes the eyes. Great selling by Kevin! We get our first Flair press slammed off the top rope. On a kick out, Kevin lands on Bronco and when he moves Flair elbows the ref. Flair sends Kevin over the top and they do a great job teasing the countout. Flair works in his high impact blow like that nasty elbow. In the middle of a backbreaker, Kevin just punches Flair in the side of the head. This is a fight! Kevin kicks him legs up, but Flair has it scouted. Kevin starts teeing off on Flair. I love when the Von Erichs grab Flair by his mane and just start going off. Kevin runs through the ref. Kevin sends Flair over the top, but that is not the right side because the ref ain't over there so Flair gets him to toss him over the other side. Back in, Kevin hits a tremendous reverse crossbody. 1-2-3! THE CROWD GOES WILD! I am so confused and excited at the same time! Of course, Bronco reverses the decision since he saw Kevin dump Flair over the top. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! That is just cruel to do that with your fanbase. I hate, hate, hate those finishes. I am usually very open minded when it comes to a finish if a DQ or countout sets something up that is a good finish. This is cruel and stupid. Great match otherwise, I am so, so, so looking forward to more Kevin Von Erich. Everything he does is perpetual struggle. Him and Flair could have some Flair vs Garvin level encounters if they really let them go. I love the dynamic with Kerry being able to wrestle that long championship style while Kevin wrestles these high energy sprints. Flair is of course a master of it all. The finish brings the match down, but the work beforehand was World Class! ****1/4

• 2 years later...

Sleeze, if you see this... check out Kevin Von Erich vs. Great Kabuki from 05/08/1982. It's on the Network. Gotta love Kevin coming out to Stranglehold. Kevin's energy is off the charts. I like this one just as much as the David match (I think) just in a different way and for different reasons. I absolutely love this pairing of Flair vs. Kevin. It really makes for a highly entertaining classic matchup. I just love that look of determination on Kevin's face the entire time. He's not messing around! I really enjoy all the catching Flair off guard moments.

Oh yeah... and the moment at the end ... bloody Flair: "It's mineee!!!! it's minee!!!!" so awesome.

• GSR changed the title to [1983-04-01-WCCW] Ric Flair vs Kevin Von Erich
  • 2 years later...

The opening exchanges see the bare-footed Von Erich dominate Flair with a tight head scissors. Flair sells the move by loudly groaning. Once Flair is free, both guys get a chance to show off their athletic chops with Flair doing a leapfrog and Kevin hitting a beautiful dropkick. Kevin isn't as beloved as Kerry, but he makes up for it by being incredibly athletic. Flair's heel work is on full display, with him backing off like a coward whenever Kevin starts building up some steam. The referee drama made sense, with both guys resorting to rule breaking when the referee is knocked down. Kevin scores a pinfall on Flair after a twisting body press, but the decision is reversed once the original referee comes too. Good TV defence which saw both men put the effort in.  ★★★½