Pro Wrestling Only

Flair's podcast (WOOOOONation)

I think he meant he'd never seen Bret use it.

Again, the thing about Flair is he's very self-centred. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a wrestler, but it becomes apparent as soon as he steps out of his bubble. Foley was able to run rings around him during their 2004 shoot feud and mercilessly tore through Flair's critique of Foley in his (Flair's) book.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing that jumped out at me was Flair's subserviance to Vince. He said being told off by Vince really hit him hard. I understand younger wrestlers seeing him as a father figure and all that, but Flair's less than 5 years younger than him.

Flair often talks about how emotionally fragile he was at various points in his career. I can see how having the most powerful guy in wrestling get angry with him would get to Flair.

I also think that Flair -- like DiBiase -- was essentially a "good soldier" and always has been. It's one of the reasons he was NWA champ.

A lot of guys who broke into the business under people like Verne took well to hard leadership and instruction. If you think about the heatseekers and so on, it starts with people like Brody. Ultimate Warrior. Sid. Luger.

Vince has always been a master manipulator who can adopt the style of management to fit the situation. That style clearly works with Ric.

One other thing that jumped out at me was Flair's subserviance to Vince. He said being told off by Vince really hit him hard. I understand younger wrestlers seeing him as a father figure and all that, but Flair's less than 5 years younger than him.

Flair often talks about how emotionally fragile he was at various points in his career. I can see how having the most powerful guy in wrestling get angry with him would get to Flair.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but Flair sometimes shows how insecure he is when talking about other people (Nash, Hall, Shane Douglas, Bischoff, Bret Hart himself, etc...). Most notably on the Legends of Wrestling roundtables, where he's the worst panelist ever - it's got to be either him or Michael Hayes. He never seemed to be a guy that would let go of grudges easily, so the reviews here of the podcasts are a positive for me because I was not planning on listening to it.

It's odd how weak and insecure Flair sometimes is/was about his legacy, his spot on the card and his value to the business in general. I mean we are talking about a guy known for walking around hotel bars cock in hand with only his robe on. You'd think he's got to be the most confident man on earth.

I think Bret looks down on what Flair's become as a person. Maybe what he always was.

And I agree with him completely.

Not to say Flair isn't the GOAT, he probably is, but as a person, he's rather pathetic at best. And I say this as a person who made him cry.

As to who brought faster paced offense, I would agreed both groups improved things in the WWF but in different ways. The offense Dynamite and Bret brought was different, the speed and psychology and intensity that the NC crew brought was a new thing as well.

Every story Flair tells in that podcast is Flair cutting a promo. Bret playing along with it is weird, but they were seldom on the same page for the entire hour. Bret is dour and serious, but closer to the truth, while Flair just riffs and spouts crap all the time. Does anybody really believe his Lloyd's of London story for example? The fish get bigger every time he tells that story.

It's odd how weak and insecure Flair sometimes is/was about his legacy, his spot on the card and his value to the business in general. I mean we are talking about a guy known for walking around hotel bars cock in hand with only his robe on. You'd think he's got to be the most confident man on earth.I think it's consistent with everything we know about him. A guy who spends $3,000 on a bar tab buying everyone drinks is a guy who wants to be liked and is a bit insecure about being liked.

I think Flair craves external validation, it's probably why he wouldn't retire because he was addicted to the buzz he got from being validated by the crowd reaction.

As Brainfollower says, you can see that as "pathetic" in a way. It means his ego is terribly fragile. I think in this way he's similar to Shakespeare's Othello, but that's a whole other thread that I'd rather not see! Ha ha.

To be fair, Hogan's ego is probably no better than Flair's though they operate in different ways.

Not to bury Flair, but the pathetic comment is based on his public behavior, marriage problems, financial problems and all the other stuff not just his clinging to the spotlight.

None of that takes away the fact that as I said, he's most likely the GOAT for me too and one of the most amazing talents ever.

If you can't separate the two I can understand that. Plenty of people cannot have their sports heroes taken apart as people. I guess I've just never had that problem.

This may be a weird statement, but if I could say one thing to Flair, and the one thing that I think he'd want to hear the most, it wouldn't be that he was the best wrestler ever or had the most great matches or that I was a big fan or even how great Charlotte is.

It'd be that they were crazy for not using him somehow on screen every week now.

They should be doing Flair for the Gold at least once a month to advance angles, even if it's just on Smackdown so they can edit if necessary. It shouldn't even be the main event programs, but the guys who aren't there yet on promos so he can get over the importance of a feud or a title.