Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-07-06-Houston Wrestling] Magnum T.A. vs Ted DiBiase

Superstar Sleeze

North American Heavyweight Champion Magnum TA vs Ted DiBiase - Mid-South 7/6/84

You know you are over when the crowd is doing the sound effects for your punches. Magnum TA, you are over, brutha. Magnum had 80s babyface down pat. He had all the mannerisms with him shaking his fists, hands over head, raring to go. He is a way better seller than I was expecting. You hear he was going to Hulk Hogan of the NWA and I see where that comes from in terms of look and cool factor. While Hogan sold a lot especially in the late 80s, it was the over the top, comic book style selling as opposed to Magnum's gritty, bloody screams and his anguished countenance.

This is much tamer version of their bloody brawls in late May (even though it did get bloody). It almost seemed like the matches were booked backwards chronologically. Though they seem to be in a different town so maybe they were starting the story fresh here. The beginning of the match was pretty common 80s beginning with Magnum besting DiBiase at every turn and DiBiase powdering to break his rhythm while Mags was energized. It was a fun beginning. Really hated the transition to the heel heat segment with DiBiase just hitting some shoulder tackles in the corner and then he just throws TA's back into the apron and post. I would have liked something more devious or a Magnum mistake to transition to the heat segment. It was just way too routine and not a real hook for the match. While the transition sucked, the heat segment proper was awesome because Mags' forte was selling and DiBiase seems like a strong offensive presence. It could have used more Magnum hope spots, but his selling was very good. TA bucked him off to the floor and then DiBiase takes his somersault bump in the follow-up. The crowd is red hot for the Magnum comeback until a collision (80s really liked that spot). DiBiase, out of desperation, sends Magnum head first into the post and busts him open. I liked DiBiase going from the back to the head because he was feeling the match slipped away from him. Mags feels blood on his face and just loses it. He whips DiBiase so hard into the ropes the turnbuckle breaks! ;) I don't think it was a work, but maybe it was. Ted grabs hold of the turnbuckle and cracks him him, but it is only two. Mags bounces off the bottom two ropes with a ref drop down (hmmmmmmm maybe this was planned) and it is a hot shot by Teddy. DiBiase loads the glove, but misses the fist drop into the Belly to Belly! The finish stretch took this from a good match to a great match, but I didn't think it was as good as the bloody brawls from late May. These two are definitely made for each with DiBiase's offense and Mags' selling. The finish was memorable with the turnbuckle breaking and it was a feel good finish. ****

• 6 months later...

This card has been amazing so far and now we get the semi main event. This show drew a 71,000 dollar house and had 9,000 fans.I got the figures from Cornette's book.

We see Ted start out with some rough house tactics to start. TA fires back. When Ted gets the heat he is awesome. It's all focused on the back. We see body slams, body slams on the floor, back breakers into the ring post, back drops, a bear hug, knee drop to the back, and a camel clutch. We TA fight out of the clutch. TA's selling is spot on. He starts a comeback. Hits Ted in the breadbasket. Oh no TA runs into a nasty knee by Ted head on. Ted tosses him to the floor and just destroys him. TA is busted open. Ted works the cut with stomps and punches to the cut. TA delivers an amazing small package for a great hope spot . TA sees the blood and it fires him up. The ropes break and these guys are great at improvising. I loved the finish of Ted missing his big move only for TA to catch him with the Belly to Belly. What a great match. 4 1/4*

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1984-07-06-Houston Wrestling] Magnum T.A. vs Ted DiBiase