Pro Wrestling Only

Miracle Violence Connection

Grimmas

• 5 weeks later...

Discussing them is less painful than watching them though, so there's that.

Wait, for real? Is it gospel around here that they sucked for as a team for some reason? Or is just the name? I'm totally baffled, as it seems like two awesome dudes who destroyed other dudes. Even if not all of their matches were gems, they had tons of great stuff. I actually nominated them thinking they probably are a top 25 team, one I'd be way more likely to vote for than almost any American team of the 90s/2000s. I'm totally confused by a world in which Demolition are shoo-ins while these guys are laughed out of competition.

Microscope here: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/31052-miracle-violence-connection/?hl=miracle

I don't know about gospel, and far be it from me to proclaim the conventional wisdom, but I think your good points are the other coin side of two pretty common raps against them: They're often painfully boring, especially when they're eating guys up, which is unfortunately the name of their game. And they're nowhere near the sum of their parts.

Of course I haven't actually watched a lot of MVC in a few years, and I think they do deserve to be nominated and mulled over.

I'm not sure its gospel they sucked, but how many good matches did they have as a team unless it was against the the top AJ tags? Other than the Steiner affair. And their matches vs. the AJ crew were at least to me clearly inferior than any other tags the big guns were throwing out at the time. Not horrible, but nothing that matched their singles work or Gordy/Hansen Gordy/Freebirds.

They were great at putting together exciting and well-worked finishing stretches. If every All Japan match we had from them was clipped down to the final ten minutes or so we'd be having an entirely different discussion. The problem comes from having to wade through fifteen to twenty minutes of Gordy and Williams cutting off any hope of exciting offense and laying around in restholds to the to the last seven to ten minutes of the match that are worthwhile.

japan cred counted for a *lot* with the WON crowd. was one of the only ways for hosses to get any respect from them.

they were also a symbol of bill watts's efforts to bring back 80s southern territory wrestling. they represented ~HOPE~ to people at the time, i think

and yea, to add to what others said, my big problem with them is how much of their matches they guzzle up with bland restholds and work that just doesn't go anywhere

I remember going through the pre-Hogan WCW PPVs and Clashes just to see how they stood out and man alive I was not impressed. They had some good matches in Japan, but they were the lesser half of the match without a doubt. I can't think of a team I watched where I wanted to like them so much but came away so thoroughly unimpressed. Too bad, and I was the one who nominated them.

Here's an exercise for anyone who has access to a certain website. There is a tag match between the MVC and Kawada/Taue on 7/26/93. Then there is a six minutes out of the 8:30 6 man sprint from two days later immediately following that tag match. You tell me which is more entertaining. I know it's newly formed 1993 Kawada/Taue, but the fact that an eight minute six man is far easier to watch says a lot.

• 1 month later...

japan cred counted for a *lot* with the WON crowd. was one of the only ways for hosses to get any respect from them.

Probably the opposite. They made the big jump in the results in 1992, the year they worked in the US a good deal.

fair enough. feel like working japan builds a mystique, and that translates to big things if you work the US and don't completely fall on your face a la tensai