Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

Some of this was going on in the Draft Discussion thread, but since the draft is over, I thought it would we worth starting one for the project itself. This is a thread for stray observations that don't require their own thread, bitching, trash talking other promoters, and just general conversation about the project.

This project came along at an interesting point in my life. I had been in one of my periodic long breaks from watching wrestling, and it has gotten me back into watching again. The upside is that I have been watching the 80s AWA set along with the Listening Party Podcasts, which have been great for getting the creative uses going. The downside is I am way too easily distracted by tangents. "Hey, this thread makes me want to watch a big bunch of Jerry Lawler matches!" Good advice under any circumstances, but not immediately, directly helpful.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else have their first shows done? I am interested to see how you guys do the house shows. I know JCP was running 6 nights a week with TV one night and a big night on Saturday and even Fridays and Sundays. I don't think I want to go into huge detail on the house shows, but write up the TV with a good amount of detail.

My booking tip would be to have a little patience when you are starting out. Don't throw all your best stuff out there in the first month because then in October you'll be looking at your roster wondering what do you have left to do.

I also want to say as a general rule I am going to try and keep the way I run Southwest somewhat realistic in how a real territory loop would work. This means I can't work out a deal with you where you get my top stars like Tully, The Fabs or Duggan during the middle of the week for extended periods because my TV is on Monday & my biggest show of the week is on Sunday. I would still need those guys to draw in my smaller towns outside of San Antonio.

Anyone else have their first shows done? I am interested to see how you guys do the house shows. I know JCP was running 6 nights a week with TV one night and a big night on Saturday and even Fridays and Sundays. I don't think I want to go into huge detail on the house shows, but write up the TV with a good amount of detail.

As far as this, I am just going to keep my shows on the loop mostly the same except for if I need to account for a guy being gone. I will do a lot of detail on my TV show and then my loop will just be a list of results with some notes about any big angles or controversial finishes that happen at the San Antonio show on Sunday.

For non-storyline stuff, I have a lot of patterns and formulas which help ensure that all guys on the roster have a role and to ensure that we aren't getting too many repeat matches.

So with Bret Hart, I know he faces a jobber, a JTTS and a star in a three week pattern -- have a grid where the jobber and JTTS change each time so you don't get the same match twice. The star is dicated by who is facing the champ.

Under that there's a similar patter for a JTTS guys and others. I may share some of my workings just so people can see the method.

Right now I have my main event scene planned out for a year and everything else is yet to be determined. My undercards are planned out for July and those will be more month to month, while main event is long term planning.

Not sure how all the pieces will fit, but they will somehow.

Like Parv, I want to make sure every main guy gets on TV at least once a month, so will need that planned out. I have no problem with keeping guys to multi man tags on house shows to fill up spots if they aren't in an angle.

I want my promotion to be patriotic, but also amazing wrestling and angles that hook you in.

I've very much centered my promotion around my top 6 guys and planned out the next 3 months or so for them.

To keep my interest going I've decided I've only got ideas for my under card at the moment. That way I find I'm not just writing out weeks to weeks worth of TV for feuds I've cemented in weeks ago. If that makes sense.

I'm about halfway through writing my first TV show. It's a little harder than I thought because I am trying to stagger debuts and not have everyone on the first show. Luckily I have some trade deals that give me the top 4 babyfaces in Southwest for the first show(s) with Bob Sweetan, Scott Casey, Rick McGraw & Eric Embry.

I'm also trying to stagger debuts, so I will have talent available for the first few weeks to work outside dates. I'll see if I can post them in the trade thread in case anyone is looking to shore up their cards for the first few weeks with some one-shot appearances (If anyone wants to contact me about someone for the first two weeks i'll let you know if they're available).

I will not be writing any shows until my first TV taping on Monday, July 4th. If I were a booker hired in the middle of the Southwest weekly loop I wouldn't have time to really change any of the cards or finishes so I'll just wait until the first TV to "take over"

Bruce Hart is drafted to All Star but still booking in Stampede?

Yep. Stu has decided to pass the torch to Bruce a bit earlier than expected and Bruce has agreed to do his booking on the road. He will still appear in Stampede from time to time. We're outsourcing our TV production to a company in Vancouver to make it all look a bit more professional and will be moving tapings into a local studio in Calgary sometime in the next few months.

I like to have a general feel for what a guy is capable for if I am going to be booking him to do anything important, so this project has put my stupidly over-sized wrestling collection to good use. I even broke out my small supply of Atlantic Grand Prix and decided to put this episode up on youtube:

Man Mountain Mike (Mike Shaw) & Rick Patterson vs. The Alaskan Bear & Paul Peller

AGPW International Heavyweight Champion The Super Destroyer (w/Bobby Bass) vs. Sgt. Ryan O'Connor
The Great Malumba vs. Mike Steele
AGPW European Heavyweight Champion Killer Karl Krupp (w/Hans Herman) vs. T.G. Stone in a non-title match
Ronnie Rich & Ron Starr vs. Sweet Daddy Siki & Lenny Montana

I thought I would share this in case anyone has some of these guys on their roster and wanted to take a look at them. I get a kick out of it EVERY time the announcer says "Grand" in the Grand Prix Wrestling.